Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just how strong are common house ants?

Gettin' scared here. I had a wee problem with ants infesting kitchen-
I'm a slob, and house is far from tight. So, along with cleaning up
the counters and crumbs on floor, a day or so ago I put out 4 of the
typical cheap bait stations. Got home from work today, and 3 had been
moved a little, but the 4th was outright GONE. I looked all over for
it- under appliances, etc.

Is this typical? Or do I have some uber-ants hiding in the walls?

(Note- not really a Google poster- my real ISP is having news server
problems.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gettin' scared here. I had a wee problem with ants infesting kitchen-
I'm a slob, and house is far from tight. So, along with cleaning up
the counters and crumbs on floor, a day or so ago I put out 4 of the
typical cheap bait stations. Got home from work today, and 3 had been
moved a little, but the 4th was outright GONE. I looked all over for
it- under appliances, etc.

Is this typical? Or do I have some uber-ants hiding in the walls?

(Note- not really a Google poster- my real ISP is having news server
problems.)

They're pretty strong, not strong enough to pick up an ant trap alone, but
some ants do work as a team. Maybe they found your trap to be particularly
delicious and decided to carry it back to the nest?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gettin' scared here. I had a wee problem with ants infesting kitchen-
I'm a slob, and house is far from tight. So, along with cleaning up
the counters and crumbs on floor, a day or so ago I put out 4 of the
typical cheap bait stations. Got home from work today, and 3 had been
moved a little, but the 4th was outright GONE. I looked all over for
it- under appliances, etc.

Is this typical? Or do I have some uber-ants hiding in the walls?

(Note- not really a Google poster- my real ISP is having news server
problems.)

They're pretty strong, not strong enough to pick up an ant trap alone, but
some ants do work as a team. Maybe they found your trap to be
particularly delicious and decided to carry it back to the nest?

Yeah, but unless the nest is up inside the fridge or stove insulation, I'm
clueless where that nest would be. I looked under both with maglite and
inspection mirror. Don't think I have mice, never seen any traces since I
ran off the ones that moved in while house was empty. Anybody sell
double-sided duct tape to nail the traps down? How about just strips of duct
tape across the floor? Or do ants step too lightly to stick to that?

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2007 16:12:06 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Gettin' scared here. I had a wee problem with ants infesting kitchen-
I'm a slob, and house is far from tight. So, along with cleaning up
the counters and crumbs on floor, a day or so ago I put out 4 of the
typical cheap bait stations. Got home from work today, and 3 had been
moved a little, but the 4th was outright GONE. I looked all over for
it- under appliances, etc.

Is this typical? Or do I have some uber-ants hiding in the walls?

(Note- not really a Google poster- my real ISP is having news server
problems.)

They're pretty strong, not strong enough to pick up an ant trap alone, but
some ants do work as a team. Maybe they found your trap to be particularly
delicious and decided to carry it back to the nest?

Oh boy! Me and my ant buddies just got a fresh trap. The dang thing;
big as it is, will not fit into my nest and I don't share.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That was supposed to sound a little tongue and cheek.

I bet if you laid down duct tape that an ant would walk right over it like
Jesus Christ. I think Paul Franklin's right, you got bigger vermin.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 08 May 2007 23:56:29 GMT, "aemeijers"
wrote:

They're pretty strong, not strong enough to pick up an ant trap alone, but
some ants do work as a team. Maybe they found your trap to be
particularly delicious and decided to carry it back to the nest?

Yeah, but unless the nest is up inside the fridge or stove insulation, I'm
clueless where that nest would be. I looked under both with maglite and
inspection mirror. Don't think I have mice, never seen any traces since I
ran off the ones that moved in while house was empty. Anybody sell
double-sided duct tape to nail the traps down? How about just strips of duct
tape across the floor? Or do ants step too lightly to stick to that?

If you leave another one out, and can tape it, it will be a big hit on
funniest home videos and better places than that.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 08 May 2007 20:53:29 -0400, Paul Franklin
wrote:

Ummmm, maybe you've got bigger vermin than ants....seen any mouse
droppings around? Might want to try a mouse trap, baited with peanut
butter.

No, I think you should bait the mouse trap with an ant trap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

put up a camera while you sleep

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 6:36 pm, wrote:
Gettin' scared here. I had a wee problem with ants infesting kitchen-
I'm a slob, and house is far from tight. So, along with cleaning up
the counters and crumbs on floor, a day or so ago I put out 4 of the
typical cheap bait stations. Got home from work today, and 3 had been
moved a little, but the 4th was outright GONE. I looked all over for
it- under appliances, etc.

Is this typical? Or do I have some uber-ants hiding in the walls?

(Note- not really a Google poster- my real ISP is having news server
problems.)

An elephant can lift only 1/20 th of his weight while an ant can lift
6 times his weight. Yet an ant can not lift an elephant.
Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2007 16:12:06 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Gettin' scared here. I had a wee problem with ants infesting kitchen-
I'm a slob, and house is far from tight. So, along with cleaning up
the counters and crumbs on floor, a day or so ago I put out 4 of the
typical cheap bait stations. Got home from work today, and 3 had been
moved a little, but the 4th was outright GONE. I looked all over for
it- under appliances, etc.

Is this typical? Or do I have some uber-ants hiding in the walls?

(Note- not really a Google poster- my real ISP is having news server
problems.)

They're pretty strong, not strong enough to pick up an ant trap alone, but
some ants do work as a team. Maybe they found your trap to be particularly
delicious and decided to carry it back to the nest?

It's an act of God. Therefore it wont be covered by your homeowners
insurance. God was probably really hungry and liked the taste of the
ant poison. If God is found dead today, it's all your fault.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 11:20 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
[snip]
...a day or so ago I put out 4 of the
typical cheap bait stations. Got home from work today, and 3 had been
moved a little, but the 4th was outright GONE. I looked all over for
it- under appliances, etc.

[snip]
I live alone, and as best as I can tell, no mice or rats. (no droppings, no
gnawed food containers, no nesting residue or little corpses in storage
areas, etc.)

Something other than ants moved it. I'd suggest putting down another
bait unit in exactly the same spot, and scatter a light dusting of
flour around it. If it moves, you'll see tell-tale traces of how it
moved.

That, or put lipstick on it. (Oh, never mind, that's for figuring out
about cats' butts on kitchen counters...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 May 2007 14:55:07 -0700, Kyle wrote:

Something other than ants moved it. I'd suggest putting down another
bait unit in exactly the same spot, and scatter a light dusting of
flour around it. If it moves, you'll see tell-tale traces of how it
moved.

With flour they might "cake" up stuff! Use grits or corn meal; not
nearly as heavy as a trap, and you watch them carry if off.

That, or put lipstick on it. (Oh, never mind, that's for figuring out
about cats' butts on kitchen counters...)

And your experience is? Lipstick on a pig can be more attractive
than a pig without lipstick.