Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace Room

I am finishing my basement of my condo, adding a bathroom and
bedroom. I plan to build a small room around the furnace and the
water heater. What do I need to do to ensure that the burner of the
furnace gets a good supply of fresh air? Since people will be
spending a lot of time in the basement, do I need to run an air supply
line to the outside of the house to prevent a buildup of CO2 or CO?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am finishing my basement of my condo, adding a bathroom and
bedroom. I plan to build a small room around the furnace and the
water heater. What do I need to do to ensure that the burner of the
furnace gets a good supply of fresh air? Since people will be
spending a lot of time in the basement, do I need to run an air supply
line to the outside of the house to prevent a buildup of CO2 or CO?

Below grade basement? You need a means of egress that complies with the
building codes. You'd better check on that stuff first.

You need some clearance around the heaters. Check the manufacturer's
specifications, they use some common sense in that they must be serviced and
eventually replaced. It may or may not need a fresh air supply directly
into the heater room, but it is probably a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am finishing my basement of my condo, adding a bathroom and
bedroom. I plan to build a small room around the furnace and the
water heater. What do I need to do to ensure that the burner of the
furnace gets a good supply of fresh air? Since people will be
spending a lot of time in the basement, do I need to run an air supply
line to the outside of the house to prevent a buildup of CO2 or CO?

A high efficiency furnace will solve your problems.
I have seen insulated furnace rooms with large vents to the outside. If you
don't have direct access to the outside you could probably do it with
powered ducts, but I would leave that to a professional.

There are issues with basement bedrooms, as others have said. Consider a
basement den.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am finishing my basement of my condo, adding a bathroom and
bedroom. I plan to build a small room around the furnace and the
water heater. What do I need to do to ensure that the burner of the
furnace gets a good supply of fresh air? Since people will be
spending a lot of time in the basement, do I need to run an air supply
line to the outside of the house to prevent a buildup of CO2 or CO?

A high efficiency furnace will solve your problems.
I have seen insulated furnace rooms with large vents to the outside. If
you don't have direct access to the outside you could probably do it with
powered ducts, but I would leave that to a professional.

There are issues with basement bedrooms, as others have said. Consider a
basement den.

Around here, almost all condos with basements have daylight basements. Of
course, if this is an older building, like converted townhouses or
something, that probably wouldn't apply.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The Field controls company makes a variety of products to make up combustion
air supplies. Here is a link :
http://www.fieldcontrols.com/cgi-bin...Combustion_Air

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am finishing my basement of my condo, adding a bathroom and
bedroom. I plan to build a small room around the furnace and the
water heater. What do I need to do to ensure that the burner of the
furnace gets a good supply of fresh air? Since people will be
spending a lot of time in the basement, do I need to run an air supply
line to the outside of the house to prevent a buildup of CO2 or CO?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am finishing my basement of my condo, adding a bathroom and
bedroom. I plan to build a small room around the furnace and the
water heater. What do I need to do to ensure that the burner of the
furnace gets a good supply of fresh air? Since people will be
spending a lot of time in the basement, do I need to run an air supply
line to the outside of the house to prevent a buildup of CO2 or CO?

I hope that you are getting permits and inspections for this project.
Bringing fresh air into the furnace area is a good idea. I recall reading
somewhere how bath fans in basements can pull air down from the chimney for
make up air. In New Jersey an egress window is required for bedrooms
located in basements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

?In New Jersey an egress window is required for bedrooms
located in basements.

I have a friend whos son sleeps in a windowless bedroom below grade.
The father was a fire chief. He is still around and not concerned.

TOTALLY INSANE IF YOU ASK ME!

I hope to god they dont have a fire and her son gets trapped, imagine
being told of such a issue repeatedly, then have a family member die?

of course add ingress egress window and its a legit bedroom raising
your homes resale value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
?In New Jersey an egress window is required for bedrooms
located in basements.

I have a friend whos son sleeps in a windowless bedroom below grade.
The father was a fire chief. He is still around and not concerned.

TOTALLY INSANE IF YOU ASK ME!

I hope to god they dont have a fire and her son gets trapped, imagine
being told of such a issue repeatedly, then have a family member die?

of course add ingress egress window and its a legit bedroom raising
your homes resale value.

Then you add long term Radon exposure to the equation and you have more ways
to die a horrible death.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
?In New Jersey an egress window is required for bedrooms
located in basements.

I have a friend whos son sleeps in a windowless bedroom below grade.
The father was a fire chief. He is still around and not concerned.

TOTALLY INSANE IF YOU ASK ME!

I hope to god they dont have a fire and her son gets trapped, imagine
being told of such a issue repeatedly, then have a family member die?

of course add ingress egress window and its a legit bedroom raising
your homes resale value.

Then you add long term Radon exposure to the equation and you have more
ways
to die a horrible death.

Not to mention all the horrible spiders that lurk down there.