Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to I replace garage window?

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectional garage door
(Overhead Door Comapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 2:32 pm, "doug" wrote:
I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectional garage door
(Overhead Door Comapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Since the widown is presumed to be broken then there is no need to
worry about damaging it further. Just remove the strips which hold it
on by whatever means necessary. Then give a rap on the backside of
the window with a mallet or whatever. If it is intact then you can
bring it with you when buying a replacement. If it is in pieces then
measure carefully. Go to an old fashioned hardware store (Ace) and
they will cut you a piece from new material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes window was broken. I have a piece to take to the hardware store. How
do I "just remove the strips which hold it on by whatever means necessary"?
How to remove the strips was my question.

"Lawrence" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 7, 2:32 pm, "doug" wrote:
I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectional garage door
(Overhead Door Comapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Since the widown is presumed to be broken then there is no need to
worry about damaging it further. Just remove the strips which hold it
on by whatever means necessary. Then give a rap on the backside of
the window with a mallet or whatever. If it is intact then you can
bring it with you when buying a replacement. If it is in pieces then
measure carefully. Go to an old fashioned hardware store (Ace) and
they will cut you a piece from new material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 8:19 am, "doug" wrote:
Yes window was broken. I have a piece to take to the hardware store. How
do I "just remove the strips which hold it on by whatever means necessary"?
How to remove the strips was my question.

"Lawrence" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 7, 2:32 pm, "doug" wrote:
I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectional garage door
(Overhead Door Comapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Since the widown is presumed to be broken then there is no need to
worry about damaging it further. Just remove the strips which hold it
on by whatever means necessary. Then give a rap on the backside of
the window with a mallet or whatever. If it is intact then you can
bring it with you when buying a replacement. If it is in pieces then
measure carefully. Go to an old fashioned hardware store (Ace) and
they will cut you a piece from new material.- Hide quoted text -

Is it a plastic or glass window?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Glass

"Lawrence" wrote in message
ps.com...
On May 8, 8:19 am, "doug" wrote:
Yes window was broken. I have a piece to take to the hardware store.
How
do I "just remove the strips which hold it on by whatever means
necessary"?
How to remove the strips was my question.

"Lawrence" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 7, 2:32 pm, "doug" wrote:
I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectional garage door
(Overhead Door Comapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Since the widown is presumed to be broken then there is no need to
worry about damaging it further. Just remove the strips which hold it
on by whatever means necessary. Then give a rap on the backside of
the window with a mallet or whatever. If it is intact then you can
bring it with you when buying a replacement. If it is in pieces then
measure carefully. Go to an old fashioned hardware store (Ace) and
they will cut you a piece from new material.- Hide quoted text -

Is it a plastic or glass window?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 8:19 am, "doug" wrote:
Yes window was broken. I have a piece to take to the hardware store. How
do I "just remove the strips which hold it on by whatever means necessary"?
How to remove the strips was my question.

"Lawrence" wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 7, 2:32 pm, "doug" wrote:
I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectional garage door
(Overhead Door Comapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Since the widown is presumed to be broken then there is no need to
worry about damaging it further. Just remove the strips which hold it
on by whatever means necessary. Then give a rap on the backside of
the window with a mallet or whatever. If it is intact then you can
bring it with you when buying a replacement. If it is in pieces then
measure carefully. Go to an old fashioned hardware store (Ace) and
they will cut you a piece from new material.- Hide quoted text -

Don't know for sure withou either seeing it or a better description.
My only idea: If it is not obvious how to remove these "strips" then
try a prybar. If you can post a pic many people will be willing to
help you. You description is so poor that apparently only I am bored
enough to even answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2007 13:19:47 GMT, "doug"
wrote:

Yes window was broken. I have a piece to take to the hardware store. How
do I "just remove the strips which hold it on by whatever means necessary"?
How to remove the strips was my question.

If these window stops (strips) are they same for some vinyl windows.
Just use a 5 N 1 tool or putty knife to get an end of the strip
pulled up. They pull off by hand. Look at the stops and see how they
are installed. I've seen windows where you had to pull the top and
bottom stops off first and then the side ones.

They snap in and out...in my experience.

"Lawrence" wrote in message
roups.com...

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2007 19:32:18 GMT, "doug"
wrote:

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectional garage door
(Overhead Door Comapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Just for clarity. Are these inside or outside the door?

My other comment apples to the inside stops.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

They are on the inside of the door. If I try to pry them off with a putty
knife I am concerned about permanently deforming them. I can't find any
plastic caps covering a fastener that could be removed.

wrote:

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectional garage door
(Overhead Door Comapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Just for clarity. Are these inside or outside the door?

My other comment apples to the inside stops.

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in
the photo..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 May 2007 14:28:42 GMT, "doug"
wrote:

They are on the inside of the door. If I try to pry them off with a putty
knife I am concerned about permanently deforming them. I can't find any
plastic caps covering a fastener that could be removed.

You might be too concerned. They need to come off in order to set the
new glass. Take a piece to a local glass (real) shop if you break one
piece..

Your call...

.. .
wrote:

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectional garage door
(Overhead Door Comapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Just for clarity. Are these inside or outside the door?

My other comment apples to the inside stops.

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in
the photo..

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes they are almost impossible to get off without deforming (ruining)
them & we gave up trying to save them & replace the inside pieces
whenever we change the glass.

You can try prying them on one end w/ small screwdriver and work down
the strip spreading them apart, but the plastic is so stiff it is not
easy & very time consuming to do.

F.Y.I. You will never get the pieces (new or old) to go back on
without taking the top section out & laying the section down on the
floor & tapping the pieces back on w/ a rubber mallet or a hammer & a
block of wood. This means it's very easy to break the new piece of
glass when you are putting the pieces back on. So save yourself a trip
& buy more then one piece of glass.

All of this may sound ridiculous but they are a very in-expensive
window frame that alot of mfgs used. We don't use them & all of ours
screw together from the inside.

DoorDoc
www.ActionDoor.com

wrote:

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectionalgaragedoor
(OverheadDoorComapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Just for clarity. Are these inside or outside thedoor?

My other comment apples to the inside stops.

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in
the photo..- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 May 2007 13:08:24 -0700, "
wrote:

Yes they are almost impossible to get off without deforming (ruining)
them & we gave up trying to save them & replace the inside pieces
whenever we change the glass.

Not impossible.

You can try prying them on one end w/ small screwdriver and work down
the strip spreading them apart, but the plastic is so stiff it is not
easy & very time consuming to do.

A screw driver will cause more damage. Like I mentioned before a 5N1
tool or putty knife. Get one end up and pull the strip away.

Distribute the prying pressure using a wider blade. It will lesson
damage to the vinyl strip.

A house window is more complicated than a garage door window, I
suppose!

The OP can stand there or do something.

F.Y.I. You will never get the pieces (new or old) to go back on
without taking the top section out & laying the section down on the
floor & tapping the pieces back on w/ a rubber mallet or a hammer & a
block of wood. This means it's very easy to break the new piece of
glass when you are putting the pieces back on. So save yourself a trip
& buy more then one piece of glass.

Cheaper to replace the strip than needing more glass than necessary,
but I've never had a garage door window. I have pulled vinyl stop
strips and re sued them.

wrote:

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectionalgaragedoor
(OverheadDoorComapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Just for clarity. Are these inside or outside thedoor?

My other comment apples to the inside stops.

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in
the photo..- Hide quoted text -

Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have the same issue and the strips are one time use. You will tear
them up removing them.
I called the overhead door dealer and got six new strips already cut
and glass already cut for $14.
Didn't get extra glass but got extra strips. The kicker is how to get
them reinstalled. I have been able to install the short on one side
and get it lipped over the metal of the garage door, but still have 3
to go. That is why I came online to review and see how to do this
easier?? I was at the first part 30 minutes with the wife pushing from
the outside. It is a two person job to reinstall.
Wish my builder had used a better door.

Good luck!

On May 10, 10:28 am, "doug" wrote:

They are on the inside of thedoor. If I try to pry them off with a putty
knife I am concerned about permanently deforming them. I can't find any
plastic caps covering a fastener that could be removed.

.. .

wrote:

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectionalgaragedoor
(OverheadDoorComapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Just for clarity. Are these inside or outside thedoor?

My other comment apples to the inside stops.

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in
the photo..- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17 May 2007 12:36:18 -0700, wrote:

I have the same issue and the strips are one time use. You will tear
them up removing them.
I called the overhead door dealer and got six new strips already cut
and glass already cut for $14.
Didn't get extra glass but got extra strips. The kicker is how to get
them reinstalled. I have been able to install the short on one side
and get it lipped over the metal of the garage door, but still have 3
to go. That is why I came online to review and see how to do this
easier?? I was at the first part 30 minutes with the wife pushing from
the outside. It is a two person job to reinstall.
Wish my builder had used a better door.

Good luck!

Two people to replace a garage door window? I'm due for a break, give
me one!

On May 10, 10:28 am, "doug" wrote:

They are on the inside of thedoor. If I try to pry them off with a putty
knife I am concerned about permanently deforming them. I can't find any
plastic caps covering a fastener that could be removed.

.. .

wrote:

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectionalgaragedoor
(OverheadDoorComapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Just for clarity. Are these inside or outside thedoor?

My other comment apples to the inside stops.

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in
the photo..- Hide quoted text -

Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Removing the window frame retainer can be done using a wide, prying tool,
such as
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0887_200320887,
and gently "working" it free. Reinstalling is easy if you first remove the
glazed section and place it on a sturdy table. The window frame MUST sit
securely on the table, if not you will need to shim the frame so there is no
gap between the table and frame. You don't want any "give" when you tap the
retainer onto the frame.

Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

ups.com...

On May 10, 10:28 am, "doug" wrote:

They are on the inside of thedoor. If I try to pry them off with a
putty
knife I am concerned about permanently deforming them. I can't find
any
plastic caps covering a fastener that could be removed.

.. .

wrote:

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectionalgaragedoor
(OverheadDoorComapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the
proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Just for clarity. Are these inside or outside thedoor?

My other comment apples to the inside stops.

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the
configuration in
the photo..- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

I must be dumb here. How do you get it back into the door with the
back side retainers already on?

Since Oren needs a break, I will be happy for him to describe that?

I must be doing it wrong, since I am trying to hold the glass in the
frame and attach the sticks fropm the back side. If someone is not on
the front side pushing, I will never get the sticks on it??

John

such ashttp://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_20...,
and gently "working" it free. Reinstalling is easy if you first remove the
glazed section and place it on a sturdy table. The window frame MUST sit
securely on the table, if not you will need to shim the frame so there is no
gap between the table and frame. You don't want any "give" when you tap the
retainer onto the frame.

Richhttp://www.garagedoorsupply.com

ups.com...

On May 10, 10:28 am, "doug" wrote:

They are on the inside of thedoor. If I try to pry them off with a
putty
knife I am concerned about permanently deforming them. I can't find
any
plastic caps covering a fastener that could be removed.

.. .

wrote:

I'm trying to replace a window in an aluminum, sectionalgaragedoor
(OverheadDoorComapny).
The window seems to be held in place with 4 U-shaped plastic strips
with grooves on the inside. I'm not sure if they are also glued or
not. So, before I pull too hard and do more damage, what's the
proper
procedure to replace a window mounted this way?

Just for clarity. Are these inside or outside thedoor?

My other comment apples to the inside stops.

--
Oren

..through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the
configuration in
the photo..- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK I got it in. Using a board over the sticks on the inside and my son-
in-law holding a board on the outside we did the sticks on all 4 sides
in 35 mins. It is amzing how tight those things are. I didn't use a
mallet, but instead a hammer and beat that 1/2 cedar board I was using
to death.

I still don't see how this type of window is a one man job to install.
House was built in 1994 and that is the first, and I hope the last one
that gets broken!

On May 17, 4:32 pm, "Rich" wrote:

Removing the window frame retainer can be done using a wide, prying tool,
such ashttp://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_20...,
and gently "working" it free. Reinstalling is easy if you first remove the
glazed section and place it on a sturdy table. The window frame MUST sit
securely on the table, if not you will need to shim the frame so there is no
gap between the table and frame. You don't want any "give" when you tap the
retainer onto the frame.

Richhttp://www.garagedoorsupply.com

oups.com...

On May 10, 10:28 am, "doug" wrote:

They are on the inside of thedoor. If I try to pry them off with a
putty
knife I am concerned about permanently deforming them. I can't find
any
plastic caps covering a fastener that could be removed.

.. .