Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn mower problem...

Usually I have no concerns with lawnmower maintence issues...

But yesterday I found a problem not previously encountered....

Old mower (25 years ?), Sears model 917.372110, has a whopping
3.5 HP "Craftsman" engine, Model 143.374082, which looks to me like
a pretty standard Briggs and Stratton.

I serviced the mower thoroughly beginning of March. New plug, fresh oil,
blade sharpened,
new air filter, new coil / ignition module (once every 5 years, it was due).

Mower has been used this season about 8 - 10 times, ran fine...

Cold start. Follow directions, primeer bulb pushed 5x, waiting about 15
seconds
between pushes.

Pull starter, gets a good loud "pop" just as its supposed to, runs about
5 - 10
seconds, dies.

Pull again, weaker pop, runs shorter, dies.

Re prime. Pull starter, gets a good loud "pop" just as its supposed to,
runs about 5 - 10
seconds, dies.

Pull again, weaker pop, runs shorter, dies.

Repeat several times.
Clearly, its a fuel supply issue.

Getting frustrated, so I walk away. Grass will still be
there in a half hour, and I'll try again in case I flooded it.

Come back in half hour, notice intense gasoline odor.
Gas is running out the air filter, puddling on the deck and down
onto the grass.

Tank, which was filled (fresh gas, Stabil) before I started this
adventure is now about 3/4 empty.

Remove tank and pour remaining gas back into can.

Swear loudly.

I'm thinking carburetur issue, probably a split rubber primer bulb
or some gasket issue inside carb, alliwing air to go up the fuel line
into the tank, and fuel to run down the fuel line to fill the float bowl
and rise up so it drains out the air intake pipe, though the air filter
and onto the frund.

Air filture is a circular catridge type that screws into a plastic housing
at the front end of the air intake tube.

I don't like messing with carbs, but will if I have to. I can always haul
it to a repair place if I can't fix it. I sure can't break it any more
than it
already is.

Anybody have any idea which B&S engine Sears used in this thig?

Anybody run into a similar problem?

Anybody have a good lead on buying B&S parts?
I hate Sears prices and sipping charges on parts.

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Tecumseh.

Try Jack's Small Engines:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/

I've had superior service from them.

Try the Sears website, too, & see if you can get the part(s) locally:

http://www3.sears.com/

& they are cheaper quite often. I bought a mower deck shell last year &
Sears was the best price, & cheapest on shipping.

Rob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:23:40 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

Come back in half hour, notice intense gasoline odor.
Gas is running out the air filter, puddling on the deck and down
onto the grass.

Was this mower sitting in the hot sun by chance?

I filled my tank recently, sitting in the HOT 90F sun for awhile I
think it leaked onto the deck of my mower. Maybe a tight cap and
expanding gas forced it out onto the mower deck via the carb.

I don't know for certain, but the deck looks the color of bee's wax,
just under the carb. The mower still runs.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

SNIPS

Was this mower sitting in the hot sun by chance?

I filled my tank recently, sitting in the HOT 90F sun for awhile I
think it leaked onto the deck of my mower. Maybe a tight cap and
expanding gas forced it out onto the mower deck via the carb.

I don't know for certain, but the deck looks the color of bee's wax,
just under the carb. The mower still runs.

Hmmm. Good idea. Real cloudy here yesterday, though, all day.
Temps never broke 60. So I do't think thats it.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

trainfan1 wrote:

SNIPS

Tecumseh.

Try Jack's Small Engines:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/

I've had superior service from them.

Try the Sears website, too, & see if you can get the part(s) locally:

http://www3.sears.com/

& they are cheaper quite often. I bought a mower deck shell last year &
Sears was the best price, & cheapest on shipping.

Rob

Yeah, I found, after my initial post, that it was
Tecumseh with a little digging.

Thanks for the parts site cite.

I found another one:

http://www.landscapepower.com

Glad to hear that you hav had good experiences with John's. I'd be
buyng blind.

Sears was surprisingly cheaper for a carb ($ 59.99) than
the site I found ($ 62 and change).

Again, thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 3:23 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:
[...]

Sounds like classic case of carb-flooding- could be dirt in
needle-valve, or corroded (thus sinking) float, mostlikely.

Carb-kit time.

JN

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

Sounds like classic case of carb-flooding- could be dirt in
needle-valve, or corroded (thus sinking) float, mostlikely.

Carb-kit time.

Or dirt in the float valve.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 May 2007 15:50:28 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

wrote in message

Sounds like classic case of carb-flooding- could be dirt in
needle-valve, or corroded (thus sinking) float, mostlikely.

Carb-kit time.

Or dirt in the float valve.

Bob

Float valve and needle-valve. Did I miss something or are they one in
the same?
--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.perr.com/cgi-bin/shopper....keywords=a ll

Posted to alt.home.repair

1) It's a Tecumseh. Looked it up on the sears parts site.
http://www3.sears.com/

2) Your gas problem sounds a lot like a defective float in the
carb. Part number 632019 which costs six bucks. The floats are
noted for leaking, and then they don't float. And then the gas
floods.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
. ..
: Usually I have no concerns with lawnmower maintence issues...
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very unlikely to need the entire carb. Much more likely just the
float.

You're one of the few people on this site who can properly use
site and cite in a sentence when you cite someone.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
:
: Thanks for the parts site cite.
:
: I found another one:
:
: http://www.landscapepower.com
:
: Glad to hear that you hav had good experiences with John's.
I'd be
: buyng blind.
:
: Sears was surprisingly cheaper for a carb ($ 59.99) than
: the site I found ($ 62 and change).
:
: Again, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

You're one of the few people on this site who can properly use
site and cite in a sentence when you cite someone.

That comes of my disolute youth, been lawyering and then
judging for too long until I retired a couple years ago.

Which is why I love tinkering with things mechanical,
electrical, and constructionish.

Very relaxing and as far removed from what I do / did
as a job to be fun.

And mechanical stuff actually sometimes does what you
"tell" it to do, unlike 99% of criminal defendants
and 90% of civil litigants.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
You're one of the few people on this site who can properly use
site and cite in a sentence when you cite someone.

Being as how Usenet is not a site, apparently you're not.

--
Postulate a God who's so smart He designed things we won't discover for the
next ten years, but who's so incredibly stupid He couldn't think up the

Posted to alt.home.repair

clifto wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You're one of the few people on this site who can properly use
site and cite in a sentence when you cite someone.

Being as how Usenet is not a site, apparently you're not.

You really can't as dumb as you write, can you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 May 2007 14:00:50 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

clifto wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:

You're one of the few people on this site who can properly use
site and cite in a sentence when you cite someone.

Being as how Usenet is not a site, apparently you're not.

You really can't as dumb as you write, can you?

Of course he can! Never say never - mentioned here before.
--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 May 2007 16:48:34 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

I read and hear about "carb kits".

At the risk of showing how ignorant I can sometimes be,
what's a "carb kit" and where do you get one?

All I see on web sites for this Tecumseh are lots and lots
of real small parts being sold separately, or a complete,
unbolt the old one rebolt the new one, replacement carb.

There doesn't appear to be one from Sears. Any mower shop should be
able to get an after-market kit.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to alt.home.repair

clifto wrote:
jJim McLaughlin wrote:

clifto wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

You're one of the few people on this site who can properly use
site and cite in a sentence when you cite someone.

Being as how Usenet is not a site, apparently you're not.

You really can't as dumb as you write, can you?

Easy for you to.

I guess you can be as dumb as you write. You've just proven it yet again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message

Sounds like classic case of carb-flooding- could be dirt in
needle-valve, or corroded (thus sinking) float, mostlikely.

Carb-kit time.

Or dirt in the float valve.

Bob

Float valve and needle-valve. Did I miss something or are they one in
the same?

As I understand it, the float valve controls the fuel level, needle valves
control fuel mixture.

Bob

Lawn mower starting problem Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 29 May 12th 06 06:47 PM
Honda Easty Start Lawn mower problem Tankery Home Repair 2 April 18th 06 05:50 AM
Lawn mower problem Shopdog Home Repair 1 April 18th 06 02:10 AM
Lawn mower problem - possibly electrical nsaikia Home Repair 14 March 21st 06 03:38 AM
Lawn mower drive problem? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 2 August 10th 05 10:15 PM