Posted to alt.home.repair
trainfan1 trainfan1 is offline

Default Lawn mower problem...

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
Usually I have no concerns with lawnmower maintence issues...

But yesterday I found a problem not previously encountered....

Old mower (25 years ?), Sears model 917.372110, has a whopping
3.5 HP "Craftsman" engine, Model 143.374082, which looks to me like
a pretty standard Briggs and Stratton.

I serviced the mower thoroughly beginning of March. New plug, fresh oil,
blade sharpened,
new air filter, new coil / ignition module (once every 5 years, it was
due).

Mower has been used this season about 8 - 10 times, ran fine...

Cold start. Follow directions, primeer bulb pushed 5x, waiting about 15
seconds
between pushes.

Pull starter, gets a good loud "pop" just as its supposed to, runs about
5 - 10
seconds, dies.

Pull again, weaker pop, runs shorter, dies.

Re prime. Pull starter, gets a good loud "pop" just as its supposed to,
runs about 5 - 10
seconds, dies.

Pull again, weaker pop, runs shorter, dies.

Repeat several times.
Clearly, its a fuel supply issue.

Getting frustrated, so I walk away. Grass will still be
there in a half hour, and I'll try again in case I flooded it.

Come back in half hour, notice intense gasoline odor.
Gas is running out the air filter, puddling on the deck and down
onto the grass.

Tank, which was filled (fresh gas, Stabil) before I started this
adventure is now about 3/4 empty.

Remove tank and pour remaining gas back into can.

Swear loudly.

I'm thinking carburetur issue, probably a split rubber primer bulb
or some gasket issue inside carb, alliwing air to go up the fuel line
into the tank, and fuel to run down the fuel line to fill the float bowl
and rise up so it drains out the air intake pipe, though the air filter
and onto the frund.

Air filture is a circular catridge type that screws into a plastic housing
at the front end of the air intake tube.

I don't like messing with carbs, but will if I have to. I can always haul
it to a repair place if I can't fix it. I sure can't break it any more
than it
already is.

Anybody have any idea which B&S engine Sears used in this thig?

Anybody run into a similar problem?

Anybody have a good lead on buying B&S parts?
I hate Sears prices and sipping charges on parts.

TIA.

Tecumseh.

Try Jack's Small Engines:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/

I've had superior service from them.

Try the Sears website, too, & see if you can get the part(s) locally:

http://www3.sears.com/

& they are cheaper quite often. I bought a mower deck shell last year &
Sears was the best price, & cheapest on shipping.

Rob