Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moving a 3 way switch - extending "romex"

Is it acceptable to run insulated 14ga single strand through studs/
joists?

I need to extend the wiring of a 3 way switch. I have 14/2 "romex"
and 14ga single strand on hand. If it is acceptable (not against
code), I'd like to use the materials I have instead of buying a $100
roll of 14/3 to go 15'. I plan to make the extension connections in a
j-box and run the 14/2 + single strand through ceiling joists.

Thanks,
-TJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it acceptable to run insulated 14ga single strand through studs/
joists?

I need to extend the wiring of a 3 way switch. I have 14/2 "romex"
and 14ga single strand on hand. If it is acceptable (not against
code), I'd like to use the materials I have instead of buying a $100
roll of 14/3 to go 15'. I plan to make the extension connections in a
j-box and run the 14/2 + single strand through ceiling joists.

It is NOT acceptable to run a single conductor without a jacket or without
being in a conduit. You can buy Romex by the foot at a home center.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How about just buying a 25' roll of the proper wire for $12.?

--
Steve Barker

wrote in message
ups.com...
Is it acceptable to run insulated 14ga single strand through studs/
joists?

I need to extend the wiring of a 3 way switch. I have 14/2 "romex"
and 14ga single strand on hand. If it is acceptable (not against
code), I'd like to use the materials I have instead of buying a $100
roll of 14/3 to go 15'. I plan to make the extension connections in a
j-box and run the 14/2 + single strand through ceiling joists.

Thanks,
-TJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

I don't think it's acceptable to do it this way at all; you need to use
14/3 because code requires that the current be balanced within a single
cable or pipe at all times (to avoid induction heating.)

nate

What BS !
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

I don't think it's acceptable to do it this way at all; you need to
use 14/3 because code requires that the current be balanced within a
single cable or pipe at all times (to avoid induction heating.)

nate

What BS !

The NEC requires all conductors being used that are in the same circuit
to be in the same cable or pipe (a few exceptions). In the past you
could run 2 2-wire Romexes together for 4 wires. That is no longer
permitted. Induction effects are a problem when all conductors don't go
through the same metal pipe or the same knockout in a metal box and
there is a large current imbalance.

At a local univeristy the display on some CRT computer monitors was
being distorted. The problem was traced to the power transformer for the
building. The secondary wires at the transformer were separated running
through open air. The larger the loop formed by the wires the larger the
magnetic field radiated. The magnetic field distorted the displays.
Presumably this could happen in a house at 15A with the circuit wires in
a large loop. In addition at the university some of the single wires ran
through metal bushings. The bushings got hot enough to melt the
insulation on the wire.

In the OPs case a separate wire is inadequately protected anyway.

--
bud--