Default moving switch / extending cable

Hi

I need to 'move' a lightswitch. (the previous owners 'moved' a doorway
from one end of the room to the other, leaving the switch in the
middle of a wall)

I don't have any problem with cutting holes and running cable etc,
etc, but I thought i'd just ask what is seen as the best way to join
the 4 foot of t&e that i'm using as an extension to the original cable

regards

Mike

p.s. - if anybody can recommend a website for this sort of info,
please let me know.

wrote:
Hi

I need to 'move' a lightswitch. (the previous owners 'moved' a doorway
from one end of the room to the other, leaving the switch in the
middle of a wall)

I don't have any problem with cutting holes and running cable etc,
etc, but I thought i'd just ask what is seen as the best way to join
the 4 foot of t&e that i'm using as an extension to the original cable

If the join is 'accessible' then you can use a junction box.
Accessible can mean in something like a roof void or under floorboards
even if you'd have to pull nails to get access. What is *not*
accesssible is buried in plaster or something like that.

If you want to make the joint somewhere inaccessible (e.g. buried in
plaster or in some sort of sealed up cavity) then the join must be
crimped or soldered. Making a good soldered joint is difficult unless
you have the right equipment and skills. Crimping is relatively easier
but you need to get a proper ratchet crimp tool and some crimps. A
crimp tool can be bought for £20 or so nowadays and a box of crimps in
the three standard sizes around a tenner or something like that. If
you're never going to use them again that may be a bit expensive but I
find having the crimp tool and crimps around very useful for quite a
few odd jobs (extending wires which are 'just too short' for example).

If you're just going to bury the crimped connections in plaster I
think it's a good idea to sleeve them as well, otherwise put them in a
box of some sort and bury that. It's probably a good idea to sleeve
the crimped connections whatever you do.

--
Chris Green )

On 11 Nov 2003 12:43:13 GMT, wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Ta

It will be in the cavity of a studded partition - i'd assume that
counts as inaccessible ?

BillR

wrote:
On 11 Nov 2003 12:43:13 GMT,

[...]

If you are going to permanently fill the hole where the current switch is
then yes.
If you say replace it with a blank plate, then no.

That's me off buying a crimper on the way home (i presume i should be
able to find one at the borg)
- I do like to think i've done the job properly.

ta very much

Owain

Chris Green wrote
| Marginal but, yes, I would think so unless there was access via (for
| example) removing a double socket to get to the junction box. If you
| just blanked off the old switch with a blanking plate then that would
| give access. However if you fill the hole and plaster/paint over it
| then it's inaccessible.

Also if the original switch is removed and plastered over the wiring may no
longer be running in the permitted zone up/down/across from a visible
accessory, so the wiring might have to be mechanically protected. This might
apply not only to the new wiring but also the existing.

I think I'd run triple-and-earth to the new switch and have two-way
switching. No doubt then that the cables to the switch are still live and
what they do.

Owain

dmc

In article ,
wrote:

I don't have any problem with cutting holes and running cable etc,
etc, but I thought i'd just ask what is seen as the best way to join
the 4 foot of t&e that i'm using as an extension to the original cable

This has been done in our house - old switch is left there and an extra
switch added at the new location. Old switch is used to join the cable
and both work as wired in parallel. I assume that this is permitted and
maybe an option.

Darren

Moving a Lightswitch - Cavity Wall Roger Mills UK diy 4 September 3rd 03 04:13 PM
Fluorescent lights - heat rating of cable? David UK diy 8 September 2nd 03 09:00 PM
Cooker outlet plates and 10mm cables Graham Gibson UK diy 5 August 27th 03 05:36 PM
Cable - pricing up NorwichLad UK diy 3 July 25th 03 12:59 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM