Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bonded Waterproofing?

Has anyone had Bonded Waterproofing do any work in their basement?
We just got through a flood. Bonded Waterproofing came over and gave
us an estimate of $9,000 to put a French Drain in our basement. They
also offer a life long guarantee on the work that is transferable to
the next owners of the house. They also supplied us with references.
These references said they liked Bonded Waterproofing's service and
the ones who got a French Drain installed said they did not get
flooded.

So what do you think about Bonded Waterproofing?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Healthy Stealthy wrote:
Has anyone had Bonded Waterproofing do any work in their basement?
We just got through a flood. Bonded Waterproofing came over and gave
us an estimate of $9,000 to put a French Drain in our basement. They
also offer a life long guarantee on the work that is transferable to
the next owners of the house. They also supplied us with references.
These references said they liked Bonded Waterproofing's service and
the ones who got a French Drain installed said they did not get
flooded.

So what do you think about Bonded Waterproofing?

Thanks

First thing to worry about is anyone who wants to fix a wet basement
from the inside. Moisture comes in from the outside and that was where any
real fix starts. If they did not check the outside first, dump them and
find someone who will.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 6:43�am, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:
Healthy Stealthy wrote:
[...]

dont know about that company.

but in general and having lived thru a nightmare trying to fix water
problems.

having spent in total maybe 18 thousand.

FIRST make certain yard slopes away from home, downspout water is
carried at least 15 feet away from foundation, these 2 basics fix many
water troubles. or at least help a lot.

now people mentioned fixing from outside as the RIGHT WAY

sure its best but will likely cost way more than interior french
drains.

just think getting a backhoe to dig all the way around the perimeter
of yoiur home to below the footer. taking out all sidewalks patios,
landscaping etc around home. anywhere you have pavement like
sidewalks, means the fill under these areas MUST be gravel or the area
will sink cracking new pavement or making it tilt. be in no rush once
you backfill wait at least a few months and better yet a year, so the
ground gravel and everything settles before replacing sidewalks and
landscaping. LIVE WITH A MANY MONTH CONSTRUCTION MESS, dirty looks
from neighbors, mud tracked in house, etc etc. might have access
troubles getting backhoe in place, need to cut down mature trees, we
lost a nice one to our project... no other way to get backhoe in back
yard

with a exterior french drain you really need a lower place to daylight
to drain the water too by gravity. if you run it to a leach area in a
severe storm the leach area may backflow into your basement... yuk.

now the drains are in, the yard sidewalks plants etc all restored. you
find like I did the trouble is the water table during storms is higher
than the floor of your basement. your water trouble is still there

Whats left to do?

INTERIOR FRENCH DRAIN, it gets the water from under the basement
floor, drains it from inside any walls, of course you could of done
this before rebuilding your yard, but heck the yard looks wonderful,
do miss my tree but that was unavoidable.....

interior french drain is the best lowest cost solution, get at least 3
estimates, call the better business bureau to see if there are any
complaints on file.

and again ideally drain the sump by gravity to a lower place away from
home or add a battery backup pump.

wait a year before remodeling your basement so if there are any areas
of dampness they can be fixed before you remodel.

if your area recently got flooded by severe weather prices will be
higher, crews are busy. wait 6 months and you can save bucks

good luck hopefully my experience helps others, itb weas a expensive
lesson for me

Posted to alt.home.repair

Healthy Stealthy wrote:
[...]

lesson for me- Hide quoted text -

I agree with hallerb's analysis. What the company is proposing
could be a very reasonable solution, depending on your exact problem.
That type of system is installed many times, including on new
construction and is not a scam. And as you've already heard from
other customers, it does work. If it were my house, and I'd taken
care of grading/surface issues outside, I would get the proposed
system installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think hallerb's comments are well considered and right on, and was
unaware that central basement french drains might work. Still, some of the
others' advice is worth listening to. Assuring slope-away grade in all
directions, and piping all rain downspouts well away from the house. Those
two things alone could solve your problems.
First thing I did when I moved in here was to see that rainwater did not
see daylight until dumped via piping at the street. Then did some
regrading. The improvements took a few years to really guage effect, but no
more do we get condensation on basement bedrooms, no mouldy smells, and
generally better air to breathe, and no standing water, anywhere.
A high water table is another kettle of fish, and may be very difficult to
remediate.
Roger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 4:36�pm, "Roger" wrote:
I think hallerb's comments are well considered and *right on, and was
unaware that central basement french drains might work. Still, some of the
others' advice is worth listening to. Assuring slope-away grade in all
directions, and piping all rain downspouts well away from the house. Those
two things alone could solve your problems.
* First thing I did when I moved in here was to see that rainwater did not
see daylight until dumped via piping at the street. *Then did some
regrading. *The improvements took a few years to really guage effect, but no
more do we get condensation on basement bedrooms, no mouldy smells, and
generally better air to breathe, and no standing water, anywhere.
A high water table is another kettle of fish, and may be very difficult to
remediate.
Roger

add ventilation to minmize mold, a friend had a mold problem added a
small comuter fan to a basement vent, given the airflow mold gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
says...

On May 6, 6:43=EF=BF=BDam, "Joseph Meehan" wro=
te:
Healthy Stealthy wrote:
Has anyone had Bonded Waterproofing do any work in their basement?
We just got through a flood. =A0Bonded Waterproofing came over and gave
us an estimate of $9,000 to put a French Drain in our basement. They
also offer a life long guarantee on the work that is transferable to
the next owners of the house. They also supplied us with references.
These references said they liked Bonded Waterproofing's service and
the ones who got a French Drain installed said they did not get
flooded.

So what do you think about Bonded Waterproofing?

Thanks

=A0 =A0 First thing to worry about is anyone who wants to fix a wet basem=

ent
from the inside. =A0Moisture comes in from the outside and that was where=

any
real fix starts. =A0If they did not check the outside first, dump them and
find someone who will.

--
Joseph Meehan

=A0Dia 's Muire duit

[...]

I'm happy with what B-Dry did on my house, and it fixes the problem.

While I fully agree that first, outside issues need to be addressed, the outside
issues oeople point to are all about surface drainage. That's not the only
source of water. Some like you are in areas which sometimes have a high water
table. What I have in upstate NY is clay soil and a rather complicated
clay-shale geography that doesn't just direct water over the surface. I'm on a
hill, and the house at the *top* of the hill eventually got an interior drain
system. As an engineer I consulted with told me, "every basement around here is
is a big hole in the clay".

Again, folks are right about the grading, etc. (indeed, I'm increasing the swale
on my uphill side after some observations I made in the last nor'easter). But
sometimes it gets presented as if that's the total and final fix for everyone.
NOT. It's the place to start to be sure, but it's just the place to start.

and again ideally drain the sump by gravity to a lower place away from
home or add a battery backup pump.

Absolutely. Power going out and getting a lot of rain are highly correlated
events ;-)

wait a year before remodeling your basement so if there are any areas
of dampness they can be fixed before you remodel.

if your area recently got flooded by severe weather prices will be
higher, crews are busy. wait 6 months and you can save bucks

good luck hopefully my experience helps others, itb weas a expensive
lesson for me

All good advice.

Is there a *physical structural* reason to go to exterior drains vs. interior if
water table isn't an issue, BTW? I haven't seen one offered...

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Healthy Stealthy wrote:
[...]

Banty- Hide quoted text -

interior drains can fairly easily be replaced.

exterior drains means bring in the backhoe again and start all over

Dont laugh the home I spent 18 grand on had outside footer drains all
clogged with mud

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

If the drain was full of mud it wasn't installed properly. I should be
perforated drain surround by gravel surrounded by fabric that screens out
the dirt but lets the water flow in.

wrote in message
ups.com...