KC

Default Walpaper Glue Is Bonded to Wall - How to Remove?

The wallpaper came off easily, in large sheets the way it was put up. The
tan - light brown glue that remained on the plaster walls is much, much
harder to remove. Every wallpaper remover I've tried says to apply the
product then sponge or scrape away the remaining glue. That technique does
not work with whatever is on my wall.

Currently I am spraying a near boiling mixture of 50% water and 50% white
vinegar on the walls and waiting a minute or two, then using an abrasive
wheel in my power drill motor on the walls. This seems to take the residue
off, but the process is really slow. In addition, this still leaves small
amounts of the wallpaper adhesive on the wall. Which is a problem, because I
have been told the surface must be completely free of the old adhesive to
ensure that any paint applied to the walls will adhere properly.

Any suggestions or methods to try in removing this past would be
appreciated.

Hopkins

I always use DIF/hot water and those green scratch pads, and haven't
had too much trouble. Seems maybe I haven't run into what you've run
into.

As for painting, you could always prime with an oil-base primer. I'd
still try to get the heavy spots of glue.

John

We had a similar situation.
Gave in and bought a $50 wallpaper remover steamer. Works fantastic! Much
cleaner and faster. Walls are not nearly as dinged up due to much less
scraping.

-jeff

"KC" wrote in message
[...]

Mikepier

I also used the DIF solution with hot water. . Also , do you use the
paper tiger tool that puts holes in the wallpaper? That helps a lot for
the solution to soak the wallpaper.
The trick is to let the solution do the work for you without letting it
dry to the point that its harder to remove the wallpaper.. First use
the paper tiger, then soak the wall with DIF and hot water. Wait 15
minutes, the soak it again, wait about 10 minutes. Then it should come
off easy. You can find all of the DIF products right he

http://www.zinsser.com/default.asp

SteveB

Save your money on DIF and like products. Use a paper tiger and warm water.
Spray and let sit for about ten minutes. Spray and let sit again. The
trick is to let it sit until it gets the glue wet. Then scrape LIGHTLY or
peel. The best scraper I had was an old metal spatula that had just the
right spring to it and edge.

There is NO easy way to do this. Spraying and waiting is the best.

Go over it once you're finished to get all the snot blobs of glue and paper
so your paint job will look better.

I have done three houses. Don't ask me why. But, I have found what works
best. And that is hot water and waiting.

Steve

Duane Bozarth

KC wrote:

[...]

Assuming it is wallpaper paste and not that somebody used some
non-water-soluble something to put it up with, as John noted if you have
a really heavy layer and large area, the steamer may well be worth
renting...

It's possible to rig up a steamer yourself, but much more
awkward---don't be over cheap here, is my recommendation.

Thanks everyone for the advice. You pretty much confirmed what I
suspected and Steve B. pointed out, that there is no easy way to do
this task I am going try a steamer and just slog through the job.

Jmagerl

I had to remove 3 layers of wallpaper plus 1 layer of inner paint. All held
on with some of the most insidious glue you every saw. I bought a $50 Black
and Decker wall paper steamer. I figured even if it broke after I finished
the room it would still be worth the investment. It worked like a champ.
Saved a lot of cussing. Its got my vote. To remove the left over paste, Hot
water and a barbeque grill cleaning pad. (3M scotch brite pads also work -
the courser the better). I liked the barbeque pad because it had a handle on
it. Scrub and wash until you cant feel the glue slime and than wash once
more with TSP.

"SteveB" wrote in message
Save your money on DIF and like products. Use a paper tiger and warm
water. Spray and let sit for about ten minutes. Spray and let sit again.
The trick is to let it sit until it gets the glue wet. Then scrape
LIGHTLY or peel. The best scraper I had was an old metal spatula that had
just the right spring to it and edge.

There is NO easy way to do this. Spraying and waiting is the best.

Go over it once you're finished to get all the snot blobs of glue and
paper so your paint job will look better.

I have done three houses. Don't ask me why. But, I have found what works
best. And that is hot water and waiting.

Steve

SteveB

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks everyone for the advice. You pretty much confirmed what I
suspected and Steve B. pointed out, that there is no easy way to do
this task I am going try a steamer and just slog through the job.

Steaming can be good. I just like spraying water on there, and then coming
back in ten minutes. My arms go numb if I hold them up that long with a
steamer. For a sprayer, you can use the garden type (about $20) and then
use it for bug or garden spray. The hand spray bottles are cheap or free.
Steaming will be a lot of work, unless you just want some free workout time.

Put on some music ............. Mozart ........... Dan Hicks and His Hot
Licks ......... Merle Haggard ............. Smashing Pumpkins
.................... whatever gets you through the wallpaper. ;-)

Hopkins

I also used the DIF solution with hot water. . Also , do you use the
paper tiger tool that puts holes in the wallpaper? That helps a lot for
the solution to soak the wallpaper.

Yeah, I use paper tiger when necessary. The OP said the paper peeled
off so I didn't bother mentioning it. hmmm I wonder if the tan/light
brown stuff they're seeing is the paper backing?

SteveB Save your money on DIF and like products. Use a paper tiger
and warm water.

Normally I'd agree but sometimes there are wallpaper jobs from hell.
DIF helps on those.

SteveB

"Hopkins" wrote

SteveB Save your money on DIF and like products. Use a paper tiger
and warm water.

Normally I'd agree but sometimes there are wallpaper jobs from hell.
DIF helps on those.

And I have to agree with you on that, too. Wallpaper glues can vary. A
common one is cellulose, which is a plant material. When wet, it is gooey,
and dry, it is hard. I think it is about the easiest to get off. I am sure
that in this world of new products there are glues made of things we'd
rather not know about. And I am sure that one size does not fit all with
regards to solutions that interact and make them gooey again.

Hot water, DIF, vinegar, stale tomcat ****, whatever makes yer wallpaper
sticky.

Hot water worked for me, but had I been in another region where temperature,
humidity, or whatever originally called for the use of another type of glue,
I mightn't be touting plain warm water.

Steve

Raising shed walls/trusses keyridge Woodworking 12 July 8th 05 12:54 PM
Glue on wall? CathyLee Home Repair 2 June 4th 05 11:17 PM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
If glue is stronger than the wood, do you need to use screws when attaching legs to a table? YJJim Woodworking 3 December 18th 03 03:29 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM