oldnews

Default Getting rid of lino bonded to concrete

Hi,
I've got some old lino that was bonded to a concrete that I need to
remove. Trouble is it's realy stuck. I've tried hot air guns, even
hammer and chisel and they hardly make a mark.

Has any one got some practicle suggestions for getting the stuff up?

H.

shaun

"oldnews" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I've got some old lino that was bonded to a concrete that I need to
remove. Trouble is it's realy stuck. I've tried hot air guns, even
hammer and chisel and they hardly make a mark.

Has any one got some practicle suggestions for getting the stuff up?

You're looking for a "power scraper" - they look like an electric jackhammer
with a large flat flexible plate on the end of it. If you think of SDS +
tile removal chisel but on something that stands about 3 or 4 feet tall.

Hired one for a day from our local place - not expensive and made short work
of lifting a very well stuck vinyl floor without damaging the subfloor.

oldnews

shaun wrote:
....snip...

You're looking for a "power scraper" - they look like an electric jackhammer
with a large flat flexible plate on the end of it. If you think of SDS +
tile removal chisel but on something that stands about 3 or 4 feet tall.

Hired one for a day from our local place - not expensive and made short work
of lifting a very well stuck vinyl floor without damaging the subfloor.

Thanks for the advise.I'd been thinking of using something like hilti
rotary/hammer drill with a wide floor lifter type chisel. I'll check
with our hire shop.

H.

david lang

oldnews wrote:
shaun wrote:
...snip...

You're looking for a "power scraper" - they look like an electric
jackhammer with a large flat flexible plate on the end of it. If
you think of SDS + tile removal chisel but on something that stands
about 3 or 4 feet tall.

Hired one for a day from our local place - not expensive and made
short work of lifting a very well stuck vinyl floor without damaging
the subfloor.

Aldi had something similar for a tenner. If they still have them, if it
survives the job it would be worth it.

Dave

Suz

Default OT Getting rid of lino bonded to concrete

This subject header reminded of a fantastic skit by 3 Dead Trolls in a
Baggie - Keep Your Parents of the Internet.

The son doesn't want his parents to come across porn on the internet ,but
his father says he needs to paint the garage and needs to know if "latex
would bondage to stockholm?", so thought he'd do a search for "oh.. I don't
know.. latex bondage?".

Makes me laugh every time I see it.

http://www.deadtroll.com/video/parents.html

Enjoy
Suzanne.

Ian Stirling

david lang wrote:
oldnews wrote:
shaun wrote:
...snip...

You're looking for a "power scraper" - they look like an electric
jackhammer with a large flat flexible plate on the end of it. If
you think of SDS + tile removal chisel but on something that stands
about 3 or 4 feet tall.

Hired one for a day from our local place - not expensive and made
short work of lifting a very well stuck vinyl floor without damaging
the subfloor.

Aldi had something similar for a tenner. If they still have them, if it
survives the job it would be worth it.

Power planar properly adjusted might just about work.

shaun

oldnews wrote:
shaun wrote:
...snip...

You're looking for a "power scraper" - they look like an electric
jackhammer with a large flat flexible plate on the end of it. If
you think of SDS + tile removal chisel but on something that stands
about 3 or 4 feet tall.

Hired one for a day from our local place - not expensive and made
short work of lifting a very well stuck vinyl floor without damaging
the subfloor.

Thanks for the advise.I'd been thinking of using something like hilti
rotary/hammer drill with a wide floor lifter type chisel. I'll check
with our hire shop.

No problem. We did try with a flat wall tile removal type of chisel + SDS
but it didn't even touch it. The trick is in the tool end - if you think of
a very strong but thin and flexible piece of sheet metal you're on the right
track

oldnews

shaun wrote:
oldnews wrote:
shaun wrote:
...snip...

No problem. We did try with a flat wall tile removal type of chisel + SDS
but it didn't even touch it. The trick is in the tool end - if you think of
a very strong but thin and flexible piece of sheet metal you're on the right
track

I checked with our local hire shop - they have a large Bosch hammer
drill with an almighty big 6" wide 'board-lifter' type of attachment
bolted to the drill shaft. It's not a 'board-lifter' though as it's
fairly flexible. They said that because of the width and the
flexibility it's not likely to break into the concrete.

I'll try it out on Monday and let ya'll know how it went.

Cheers,

H.

SiGreen10

had a problem with lino bonded to wooden floorboards, managed to get
them off by using a wallpaper steamer to heat the tiles and glue then
used a heavy wallpaper striper to lift them and the glue, if its a
amall area it may work on concrete too

david lang

oldnews wrote:
Hi,
I've got some old lino that was bonded to a concrete that I need to
remove. Trouble is it's realy stuck. I've tried hot air guns, even
hammer and chisel and they hardly make a mark.

Now I think of it, I saw some people replacing floor tiles in a B&Q once.
They used a flame gun, like you use on weeds and a long handled scraper -
two blokes, one flamed, one scraped - they got them off at a great rate of
knots.

Dave

Rick

On 14 Oct 2005 16:20:34 -0700, "oldnews"
wrote:

Hi,
I've got some old lino that was bonded to a concrete that I need to
remove. Trouble is it's realy stuck. I've tried hot air guns, even
hammer and chisel and they hardly make a mark.

Has any one got some practicle suggestions for getting the stuff up?

H.

I'd use a soldering torch, and burn it off - but only if I had enough
venterlation.

Rick

Steve Lowe

Check and see if there is a branch of National Floor Preparation
Centres near you and if so hire a Turbo-Stripper machine.

On 15 Oct 2005 01:36:30 -0700 "oldnews"
wrote:

shaun wrote:
...snip...

You're looking for a "power scraper" - they look like an electric jackhammer
with a large flat flexible plate on the end of it. If you think of SDS +
tile removal chisel but on something that stands about 3 or 4 feet tall.

Hired one for a day from our local place - not expensive and made short work
of lifting a very well stuck vinyl floor without damaging the subfloor.

Thanks for the advise.I'd been thinking of using something like hilti
rotary/hammer drill with a wide floor lifter type chisel. I'll check
with our hire shop.

H.

- Steve Lowe
- E-Mail :
- Before Replying Remove .NO.SPAM
- UK Resident although my e-mail address is usa.net

Concrete Bonding Agent & people who do not read directions... a Home Repair 2 October 5th 05 03:50 PM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Repair 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Repairing concrete floor in shop Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 June 3rd 04 08:18 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM