Posted to alt.home.repair

Default hose bib with anti-siphon leaks

I've got a hose bib on teh side of the hosue that has a small
anit-siphon mechanism on the top of the valve. While beginning to make
use of this outlet this season I have found that water is leaking from
the anti-siphon mechanism. I'm guessing that there is some gasket that
need to be replaced but at this moment I haven't figured out how to
get inside the mechanism. The top is a plastic cap, can this be pryed
off to get access?

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Keith" wrote in message
I've got a hose bib on teh side of the hosue that has a small
anit-siphon mechanism on the top of the valve. While beginning to make
use of this outlet this season I have found that water is leaking from
the anti-siphon mechanism. I'm guessing that there is some gasket that
need to be replaced but at this moment I haven't figured out how to
get inside the mechanism. The top is a plastic cap, can this be pryed
off to get access?

John Keith

Just went through this. I thought it was just the cap leaking but that was
in addition to a major leak because of a crack in the valve. The
instructions state that the hose must be disconnected from the hose bib
during cold weather to allow the water drain from the valve and prevent
freezing. When I disconnected the valve from inside the house and slid the
unit out of the wall, there was a 1 inch crack in the copper pipe portion of
the valve..

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Keith wrote:
I've got a hose bib on teh side of the hosue that has a small
anit-siphon mechanism on the top of the valve. While beginning to make
use of this outlet this season I have found that water is leaking from
the anti-siphon mechanism. I'm guessing that there is some gasket that
need to be replaced but at this moment I haven't figured out how to
get inside the mechanism. The top is a plastic cap, can this be pryed
off to get access?

John Keith

A little dribble each time it turned on is normal, but continued leaking
is not.

I just replace the valve as they are usually cheap to start with and I
use a better quality one and I have not had any of my replacements fail.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Keith" wrote in message
I've got a hose bib on teh side of the hosue that has a small
anit-siphon mechanism on the top of the valve. While beginning to make
use of this outlet this season I have found that water is leaking from
the anti-siphon mechanism. I'm guessing that there is some gasket that
need to be replaced but at this moment I haven't figured out how to
get inside the mechanism. The top is a plastic cap, can this be pryed
off to get access?

the tops of mine unscrew easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 5 May 2007 08:58:25 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"

A little dribble each time it turned on is normal, but continued leaking
is not.

This was a continual leak.

I just replace the valve as they are usually cheap to start with and I
use a better quality one and I have not had any of my replacements fail.

This is on a freezeproof faucet and the connection to the inside
plumbing is deep inside finished space so replacement was last on the
list of alternatives.

Te bib was a Woolford model 17 and a repair kit was only $2.49.
Installation took only a few minutes and everything is good now.

Thanks for the comments.

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Keith" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 May 2007 08:58:25 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"

A little dribble each time it turned on is normal, but continued
leaking
is not.

This was a continual leak.

I just replace the valve as they are usually cheap to start with and I
use a better quality one and I have not had any of my replacements fail.

This is on a freezeproof faucet and the connection to the inside
plumbing is deep inside finished space so replacement was last on the
list of alternatives.

Replacement of the seals is most likely quite easy. The freezeproof portion
of it is nothing more than a very long shaft with seals at the end, which
you can remove by simply disassembling the faucet from the outside and
unscrewing the shaft.

Stubborn hose bib Big Al Home Repair 17 June 2nd 07 08:33 AM
Hose bib fix? higgledy Home Repair 0 July 13th 06 02:29 AM
Leaking anti-siphon garden hose faucet [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 8th 06 04:58 PM
Leaky Hose Bib Omalley Home Repair 10 August 11th 05 03:02 AM
Outside Hose Bib [email protected] Home Repair 3 May 16th 05 10:59 PM