Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Old Glass Bottles

I went out ATVing a few years ago, and found an old ranch site that dated to
the 1880's. I found a bunch of broken whiskey bottles made out of brown
glass. About a quart size. The necks and shoulders were good, and I took
six of them to make a coatrack/hatrack out of. I figured out of six, three
might survive fabrication.

I thought I would take my diamond tipped masonry blade and water lubricated
tile cutter and slice them at a slight angle at the base of the neck. Then
mount them to a piece of barnwood at an angle on some dowels, and fill it
all in with epoxy.

I haven't tried cutting any of these yet. Do you think if I take it really
slow with slight pressure that I can cut these? I would make a mold with
some plaster of paris and saran wrap to cradle the necks while on the
moveable table of the saw.

Anyone ever done anything like this? The glass isn't that thin, but it
isn't that thick, either. I'd say 3/16" to 1/4" tops in that area of the
bottle.

These are blown in two piece mold applied lip bottles if any of you are
collectors. Plain brown whisky bottles. I occasionally come on sites like
this, and if it works, I will pick up more. The blue ABGMCO, ABGM, and
ABGCO would look nice, too. (Old Budweiser bottles)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B writes:

Anyone ever done anything like this?

I've cut bottles on my MK-101 wet tile saw. Works great. You get a sharp
corner, which then I chamfer lightly with the edge of the blade. Gotta be
careful with the glass grit in the wash water, as it is sharp. The cut
edges are rough, and unless you have a high-temperature annealing oven, you
can't just smooth them with a pencil torch since they will chip from
unannealed stresses. Polishing the edge might work better, but I haven't
tried that.

I've used this to make souvenir beverage glasses out of exotic soda bottles
found overseas, Betta fishbowls out of old wine bottles, bottleneck slides
for guitar playing, that sort of thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
[...]

I seem to recall someone using string and a little gasoline to do the
cut.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
news
[...]

Take them to the glass shop and pay them $15-$20 to save yourself the
aggravation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
news
[...]

you need a continuous rim diamond blade in a tile saw. lots of water for
coolant and to capture dust. you can get diamond coated handblocks to polish
the cuts if you want (HF has them cheaply).

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Glass-Bottle

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Joseph Meehan wrote:

I seem to recall someone using string and a little gasoline to do
the cut.

http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Glass-Bottle

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

I appreciate this, but I want to cut them on an angle so that when I mount
them, they will be pointing a little uphill so that coats and hats would
hang on them.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

unless you have a high-temperature annealing oven, you
can't just smooth them with a pencil torch since they will chip from
unannealed stresses.

This is where you need to watch those women who do glass sculpture at
the fair. They use propane torches with the flame spreader to even out
the heat. Once you get a feel for it you can put a rolled edge on the
glass. Just watch your heat. Practice on a bottle you have a bunch of.

Are you speculating? You've succeeded on cut glass bottles?

I suspect the glass sculpture stuff is using a low-temp, low-expansion
glass that doesn't need annealing, like chemists use for tubing so they can
cut and bend it in the lab. Very different stuff from what ordinary
bottles are made from, which is cheap but requires annealing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
unless you have a high-temperature annealing oven, you
can't just smooth them with a pencil torch since they will chip from
unannealed stresses.

This is where you need to watch those women who do glass sculpture at
the fair. They use propane torches with the flame spreader to even out
the heat. Once you get a feel for it you can put a rolled edge on the
glass. Just watch your heat. Practice on a bottle you have a bunch of.

Are you speculating? You've succeeded on cut glass bottles?

I suspect the glass sculpture stuff is using a low-temp, low-expansion
glass that doesn't need annealing, like chemists use for tubing so they
can
cut and bend it in the lab. Very different stuff from what ordinary
bottles are made from, which is cheap but requires annealing.

you're speaking of pyrex which doesn't need a whole lot of annealing.

actually, most sculpture and beadwork is borosilicate, which does if you
want the pieces to last.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 04 May 2007 17:08:05 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Very different stuff from what ordinary
bottles are made from, which is cheap but requires annealing.

BTW how old are these bottles?

about 120 years old. So, all bets are off.

I have a large collection of bottles, my oldest documented to 1863. In
those days, manufacture was a science only because not everyone knew how to
do it. By today's standards, it is quite crude. So, from lot to lot, and
even bottle to bottle, there is no consistency.

I have been interested on how these will behave, and cutting them will be an
experience with old glass. I don't know if they will do better because of
their old manufacturing techniques, or be brittle and breakable because of
their inconsistent makeup.

I'll keep you posted.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree if you whack
these with pinpoint heat they will chip but I am talking about
bringing up a large area slowly.

No, the problem is not the heating, but the cooling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_%28glass%29
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Very different stuff from what ordinary
bottles are made from, which is cheap but requires annealing.

BTW how old are these bottles?

about 120 years old. So, all bets are off.

I have a large collection of bottles, my oldest documented to 1863. In
those days, manufacture was a science only because not everyone knew how to
do it. By today's standards, it is quite crude. So, from lot to lot, and
evenbottletobottle, there is no consistency.

I have been interested on how these will behave, and cutting them will be an
experience with oldglass. I don't know if they will do better because of
their old manufacturing techniques, or be brittle and breakable because of
their inconsistent makeup.

I'll keep you posted.

Steve

Unless you're just dead set on cutting some old glass, why not cut a
hole in the wood and preserve the bottle? (Assuming the wood is thick
enough for the bottle to penetrate it adequately.)

Glass milk bottles Phil L UK diy 29 March 16th 07 05:33 PM
Cutting glass mirror wattie UK diy 7 August 17th 04 05:35 PM
cutting glass tubing Ken Sterling Metalworking 33 June 27th 04 06:48 AM
Cutting window glass Charles H. Buchholtz Home Repair 9 November 14th 03 02:13 AM