Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glass milk bottles

Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)
that's an easy one

Place bottle in deep freeze overnight
next morning place bottle in bucket

Once thawed pass contents through a fine sieve

Using this method you can buy in bulk to save repeated trips to Asda

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:07:46 -0000, "TMC" mused:

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)
that's an easy one

Place bottle in deep freeze overnight
next morning place bottle in bucket

Once thawed pass contents through a fine sieve

Using this method you can buy in bulk to save repeated trips to Asda

Ummm.....
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:59:53 GMT, Phil L wrote:

Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.

Leave it outside for the Blue Tits.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:20:07 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 20:07:46 -0000, "TMC" mused:

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)
that's an easy one

Place bottle in deep freeze overnight
next morning place bottle in bucket

Once thawed pass contents through a fine sieve

Using this method you can buy in bulk to save repeated trips to Asda

Ummm.....

Worth it I'd say, especially between 15-15 pm and 17-30, weekdays when
it's "Chavse Centraal"

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

Its funny you should mention that.
I saw some of these in a shop in the north-east last week.
It's been so long since I have seen this stuff I took a picture.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/sterra.jpg

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

There's probably an NVQ available if you can sign up as a 'modern
apprentice'.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

In reality you can probably just break the neck of the bottle on the
edge of the bar/kitchen worktop and glug the milk.
Don't forget to wear the appropriate PPE, such as Totectors,
chain-mail gloves, eyeshields (and of course a hard hat).

More seriously I'm trying to source a couple of 1 pint milk bottles of
the shape used in the 1950s/60s, with a much shallower tapered neck
than the current breedı, to use as theatre props. I've even asked my
milkman to look around in his travels, still without any joy.

Does anybody remember the ½ pint bottles? 'School milk' was in 1/3
pint ones, but ½ pints were quite scarce.

ıYes, I know the 'current breed' seems to be either waxed cardboard or
yucky grey translucent plastic, which I eschew, but I do mean the
glass ones :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar, 19:59, "Phil L" wrote:
Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

judging by the picture somebody posted, if that's what you have, they
have a lid like on a beer bottle. So try a beer opener type thing
http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFi...322145830s.jpg

Or, some people with lots of practice behind a bar, can bang the
bottle down using the edge of the table to knock the lid off the
bottle. It takes skill to make sure the base of the bottle or any part
of the bottle doesn't smash against the table.

Maybe searching for
open beer bottle
in google video /youtube, will find some ways

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:44:21 +0000, Frank Erskine
wrote:

More seriously I'm trying to source a couple of 1 pint milk bottles of
the shape used in the 1950s/60s,

eBay

There are Collectors 8-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
news

More seriously I'm trying to source a couple of 1 pint milk bottles of
the shape used in the 1950s/60s, with a much shallower tapered neck
than the current breedı, to use as theatre props. I've even asked my
milkman to look around in his travels, still without any joy.

Ebay has quite a few from that era.
or
write to your local rag asking for help

Does anybody remember the ½ pint bottles? 'School milk' was in 1/3
pint ones, but ½ pints were quite scarce.

ıYes, I know the 'current breed' seems to be either waxed cardboard or
yucky grey translucent plastic, which I eschew, but I do mean the
glass ones :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar 2007 17:00:21 -0700, "
wrote:

On 12 Mar, 19:59, "Phil L" wrote:
Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

judging by the picture somebody posted, if that's what you have, they
have a lid like on a beer bottle. So try a beer opener type thing
http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFi...322145830s.jpg

That was "Puroh" sterilised milk, commonly known as 'council house
milk'...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes

More seriously I'm trying to source a couple of 1 pint milk bottles of
the shape used in the 1950s/60s, with a much shallower tapered neck
than the current breed

Try your local Freecycle group?

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from " contains
these words:

judging by the picture somebody posted, if that's what you have, they
have a lid like on a beer bottle. So try a beer opener type thing
http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFi...322145830s.jpg

Funnily enough I came across a soft drinks bottle with a similar cap
recently. That at least was a screw cap in disguise.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

More seriously I'm trying to source a couple of 1 pint milk bottles of
the shape used in the 1950s/60s, with a much shallower tapered neck
than the current breedı, to use as theatre props. I've even asked my
milkman to look around in his travels, still without any joy.

bugger. I put a load in the recycling bin the other week after digging
them up/removing them from the bushes in the garden! i didnt know
there were collectors!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

Tap the top gently with a hammer to break the glass, and then drink
directly from the bottle. If you swallow any little bits of galss -
don't worry - they will pass through you safely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:44:21 +0000, Frank Erskine wrote:

More seriously I'm trying to source a couple of 1 pint milk bottles of
the shape used in the 1950s/60s, with a much shallower tapered neck
than the current breedı, to use as theatre props. I've even asked my
milkman to look around in his travels, still without any joy.

I've seen them at biodynamic dairies. There's one near Forest Row (E
Grinstead/Turners Hill area)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:38:10 -0000, Graham wrote:

It's been so long since I have seen this stuff I took a picture.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/sterra.jpg

Crown corked milk bottle, haven't seen one of those for 40 years. Used to
be sterilised milk (foul stuff). From that ancient memory the bottles
stood a good 15" high with a top the same size as beer bottle crown cork
and the bottle itself gently tapered to full diameter of 2 to 3" over
almost half its height.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar 2007 17:00:21 -0700, "
wrote:

On 12 Mar, 19:59, "Phil L" wrote:
Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

judging by the picture somebody posted, if that's what you have, they
have a lid like on a beer bottle. So try a beer opener type thing
http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFi...322145830s.jpg

Or, some people with lots of practice behind a bar, can bang the
bottle down using the edge of the table to knock the lid off the
bottle. It takes skill to make sure the base of the bottle or any part
of the bottle doesn't smash against the table.

Jeez don't be a wimp! Use your teeth.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12 Mar, 19:59, "Phil L" wrote:
Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

judging by the picture somebody posted, if that's what you have, they
have a lid like on a beer bottle. So try a beer opener type thing
http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFi...322145830s.jpg

That was "Puroh" sterilised milk, commonly known as 'council house
milk'...

--
Frank Erskine

I'm glad you said that, I didn't want to come across as un-PC
I was out and about so much last week I can't remember where
I took the picture, possibly Newcastle or Grimsby.
Places perhaps where domestic refrigeration has yet to reach
100 percent penetration.
Or perhaps the inhabitants prefer the taste.
--

Graham
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

Obviously not one of Paddy's then cos his does say open other end
--
the_constructor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

[...]

I remember quart bottles

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mike
writes
wrote:

Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

Tap the top gently with a hammer to break the glass, and then drink
directly from the bottle. If you swallow any little bits of galss -
don't worry - they will pass through you safely.

I thought that it was the gals which normally did the swallowing

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 23:38:10 -0000, Graham wrote:

It's been so long since I have seen this stuff I took a picture.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/sterra.jpg

Crown corked milk bottle, haven't seen one of those for 40 years. Used to
be sterilised milk (foul stuff). From that ancient memory the bottles
stood a good 15" high with a top the same size as beer bottle crown cork
and the bottle itself gently tapered to full diameter of 2 to 3" over
almost half its height.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Hey, forgot about that ... "sterilised milk". Yum. For some reason I was a
VERY fussy eater as a child and that was the only kind of milk I'd drink.
Always refused milk at school, visiting anyone was a nightmare, etc, etc.
Guess my parents should have beaten it out of me! Oh well, happy with any
kind of milk now.

At least we always had a "crown cork" opener to hand at home. Shame I wasn't
into beer at the time!

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
k...
Hi, i bought a glass bottle containing milk from Asda - the brand is
Dairy crest- and for the life of me I can't figure out how to open the
bottle to extract the milk.
Any help and ideas appreciated!
Apologies for the idiotic question.

(neither end of the bottle says, 'open other end' so that's me stuffed)

Obviously not one of Paddy's then cos his does say open other end
--
the_constructor

Its always helpful to have useful information on products but
don't you think saying drinking tea counts to your daily fluid
intake is rather stating the obvious?
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/tea.jpg

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham" wrote in :

Its always helpful to have useful information on products but
don't you think saying drinking tea counts to your daily fluid
intake is rather stating the obvious?
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/tea.jpg

I've got a feeling this might have something to do with a recent food prog,
which said advice given some time ago that we require 2l of fluid a day got
chinese whispered, perhaps by vested interests, into we must drink 2l of
water each day.

This would impact on your tea consumption and Tetley's profits.

The original advice did say we would get most of our fluid requirement
through normal food and drink intake

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham
writes
Its always helpful to have useful information on products but don't you
think saying drinking tea counts to your daily fluid intake is rather
stating the obvious? http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/infoweb/tea.jpg

Yeah, but does it count if you add a dash of milk? Fluid intake
probably refers to useful fluids that don't have toxic chemicals or
alcohol in them.

Big tea jenny myself. I drink so much I brew it in the coffee maker.
Somehow it manages to extract a full pot of tea from a single tea bag.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from contains these words:

Sister in Law has a labelled pint milk bottle (from slightly later) that was
sealed with a cardboard disc.

With a wide opening? ISTR these were relatively common in the 50s.
Perhaps that design preceded the crimped aluminium foil that eventually
prevailed in the doorstep area.

--
Roger Chapman

How exactly does a small pit dug in the garden help keep milk bottles cool? MM UK diy 11 February 16th 07 09:39 AM
Steel milk cans..OT Raw milk Ace Metalworking 2 September 18th 05 01:26 AM
Milk crates - can you buy ? Jethro_uk UK diy 1 April 7th 05 03:23 PM
Limewash and milk paint David UK diy 17 February 23rd 05 01:41 AM
Limewash and milk paint david Woodworking 7 February 6th 05 02:35 PM