Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Old Glass Bottles

I went out ATVing a few years ago, and found an old ranch site that dated to
the 1880's. I found a bunch of broken whiskey bottles made out of brown
glass. About a quart size. The necks and shoulders were good, and I took
six of them to make a coatrack/hatrack out of. I figured out of six, three
might survive fabrication.

I thought I would take my diamond tipped masonry blade and water lubricated
tile cutter and slice them at a slight angle at the base of the neck. Then
mount them to a piece of barnwood at an angle on some dowels, and fill it
all in with epoxy.

I haven't tried cutting any of these yet. Do you think if I take it really
slow with slight pressure that I can cut these? I would make a mold with
some plaster of paris and saran wrap to cradle the necks while on the
moveable table of the saw.

Anyone ever done anything like this? The glass isn't that thin, but it
isn't that thick, either. I'd say 3/16" to 1/4" tops in that area of the
bottle.

These are blown in two piece mold applied lip bottles if any of you are
collectors. Plain brown whisky bottles. I occasionally come on sites like
this, and if it works, I will pick up more. The blue ABGMCO, ABGM, and
ABGCO would look nice, too. (Old Budweiser bottles)

Steve

Glass milk bottles Phil L UK diy 29 March 16th 07 05:33 PM
Cutting glass mirror wattie UK diy 7 August 17th 04 05:35 PM
cutting glass tubing Ken Sterling Metalworking 33 June 27th 04 06:48 AM
Cutting window glass Charles H. Buchholtz Home Repair 9 November 14th 03 02:13 AM