Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT Renting a car

On Wed, 2 May 2007 15:50:46 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

I've run out of gas 16 times iirc. I almost won a weekend for two in
Las Vegas to appear at some convention or something to illustrate
running out of gas. But the last time was at least 11 years ago. I
try real heard not to do that anymore.

try not to now too. in most cars now, the fuel pump is cooled by the gas
flowing through it. no gas, no cooling. you could find yourself needing to
replace the fuel pump.

Good to know. Thanks. That should make me even more careful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
Only time I buy the insurance is out of
the country. I don't want to be sitting is some foreign jail because of a
$100 dent.

Just email me, and I'll post it to this group, and we'll get you out.

Q. What is the best method to spread prison bars using only things
that can be taken on airplanes?

I feel better now; I'm sure I can trust you guys.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
I've run out of gas 16 times iirc. I almost won a weekend for two in
Las Vegas to appear at some convention or something to illustrate
running out of gas. But the last time was at least 11 years ago. I
try real heard not to do that anymore.

Last time for me was about 15+ years ago. I got lucky and was able to coast
through a traffic light and into a gas station, right to a pump. Then a car
pull up behind me and says "hey, pull it up a little more". He was ****ed
when I didn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
Here's the deal. Take the insurance. You walk up to the counter, and
turn in the keys. You walk away. It makes it all a simple transaction
for a few bucks more. Anyone who is so cheap should have to endure all
the bull**** that their cheapness brings down on their head.

Steve

Your money, your choice. I'm thousands of dollars ahead. I have good
insurance coverage so I"m not about to give my money to a rental company.
What they charge you for a few days is equal to my total payment for both my
cars for a month.

This is from the Dollar web page
1.. UMP-Uninsured Motorist Protection is now offered at $7.99 per day.
SLI-Supplemental Liability Insurance $12.95 per day.
That comes to $147 plus tax for a week.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 02 May 2007 16:52:51 -0600, Rick Blaine
wrote:

mm wrote:

What! Seriously? If true, I know that is new.

It is true and has been for years. The rental company's position is that they
could have rented that car while it's in the shop being repaired, thus you cost
them revenue.

And my position is that I paid them money for the use of
a working car, and they failed to provide one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:

What! Seriously? If true, I know that is new.

It is true and has been for years. The rental company's position is that they
could have rented that car while it's in the shop being repaired, thus you cost
them revenue.

And my position is that I paid them money for the use of
a working car, and they failed to provide one.

Somehow two totally different things got mixed together here. If you
rent a car and it's damaged in an accident, you are usually
responsible for the loss of use of the car to the car company while
it's out of action. If you rent a car and it breaks down, then you
are not responsible for their loss of use while it's getting
repaired. All the major companies will just give you another car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Steve B" wrote in message
Here's the deal. Take the insurance. You walk up to the counter, and
turn in the keys. You walk away. It makes it all a simple transaction
for a few bucks more. Anyone who is so cheap should have to endure all
the bull**** that their cheapness brings down on their head.

Steve

Your money, your choice. I'm thousands of dollars ahead. I have good
insurance coverage so I"m not about to give my money to a rental company.
What they charge you for a few days is equal to my total payment for both
my cars for a month.

This is from the Dollar web page
1.. UMP-Uninsured Motorist Protection is now offered at $7.99 per day.
SLI-Supplemental Liability Insurance $12.95 per day.
That comes to $147 plus tax for a week.

For me, it's a deductible travel expense. So, I take it, don't worry about
it, and walk away no matter what happens.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mm wrote:

What! Seriously? If true, I know that is new.

It is true and has been for years. The rental company's position is that they
could have rented that car while it's in the shop being repaired, thus you cost
them revenue.

And my position is that I paid them money for the use of
a working car, and they failed to provide one.

Somehow two totally different things got mixed together here. If you
rent a car and it's damaged in an accident, you are usually
responsible for the loss of use of the car to the car company while
it's out of action. If you rent a car and it breaks down, then you
are not responsible for their loss of use while it's getting
repaired. All the major companies will just give you another car.

That would be the "mechanical failure" we were talking about, right.
If you smash up the car, your liablility insurance should cover it.

No, liability insurance only covers you for damage you do to other
cars and property with the one you're driving, not the one you rent.
Some policies where you have collision insuance on your own car may
cover you for damage loss to a rental car. But if you have only
liability insurance, they aren't going to cover you for the rental car
loss anymore than they would if you wrecked your own car, which is to
say zippo. Also, if you happen to have collision insurance on your
own car, which is a 10 year old Dodge, I doubt any insurance policy
with collision is gonna pay for a totalled 2006 Caddy.

Near as I can tell, all the insurance you buy for the rental
co. is that, if you don't buy it, they'll hit your credit card for
the loss until your insurance. co. coughs up the money, and if you
don't, they won't.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Massive SNIPS

Near as I can tell, all the insurance you buy for the rental
co. is that, if you don't buy it, they'll hit your credit card for
the loss until your insurance. co. coughs up the money, and if you
don't, they won't.- Hide quoted text -

The other wrinkle here in the multitudinous questions about "What
coverage do you already have, and what coverage doy you get if you buy
the rip off xtras from the car rental company (see, no hidden agenda, my
agenda is right out in the open , BFG) is what happens if you carry a
big umbrella policy in addition too your personal car insurance?

There are as many answers to that as there are folks out there in 51
(fifty states, District of Columbia) jurisdictions renting cars who have
personal and umbrella policies. No "one size fits all" answer is correct.

Here's another one -- you work for Almagamatedmegagolith, Inc., and rent
on a comany credit card?

Or you work for the feds and are travelling on business for them and
rent on one of those Diners Club cards the feds use for travel expenses?

I have one card I use for car rentals when travelin. It has its own
"insurance" on it for car rentals, including the phhony "loss of use"
claims. The card has a $ 2500 limit. A rental co can ding away all
day on that and not get much if anything out of me. (And no, knock
wood, I've not had an accident in a rental.)

My other two cards have substantially higher limits. Car companies
never get to see them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 1:19 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:
wrote:

Massive SNIPS

[...]

What does the credit card limit have to do with the rental company
suing you and coming after you for the loss of a $25000 car? It may
be harder than just charging your credit card, but it can still be
done fairly easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 3, 1:19 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:

wrote:

Massive SNIPS

[...]

Heh. Heh. Heh. Because if the rental company sues, burden of poof on
all issues and all items of damage is on th. Proovge to the local jury
here in beautiful downtown Portland that the car was out of use and that
you, car rental company. had rented out all vehicles at location "X"
diuring he time the car was being repaire.

My dscovery request to the laintiff will include all record for all
inventor at location"X" and all rental records for all inventory during
that tme period. What, company doesn't want to produce? Gee, judge,
they sued me, their burden of proof and theu don't want to produce
discover? OK, motion t dismiss, and by the way I ant sanctions against
rental company for frivilous law suit.

I spent 35 years practicing law. I learned how to do it right. G.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 3, 1:33 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:
wrote:
On May 3, 1:19 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:

wrote:

Massive SNIPS

[...]

Your missing something here. They don't have to rent ALL their cars
just that type of car. Remember that when you rent a car you are asked
what type you would like. If all of that type of car is rented your
screwed, if not you have a good case.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 03 May 2007 11:19:59 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

I have one card I use for car rentals when travelin. It has its own
"insurance" on it for car rentals, including the phhony "loss of use"
claims. The card has a $ 2500 limit. A rental co can ding away all
day on that and not get much if anything out of me.

Don't some credit cards charge you for exceeding your limit, and then
raise your limit and pay the bill?

I think AmEX did that to my brother 10 or 20 years ago, but i have a
feeling others do it too.

(And no, knock
wood, I've not had an accident in a rental.)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
On May 3, 1:19 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:

wrote:

Massive SNIPS

" "
Your missing something here. They don't have to rent ALL their cars
just that type of car. Remember that when you rent a car you are asked
what type you would like. If all of that type of car is rented your
screwed, if not you have a good case.

Are you still standing by your claim that they bill for loss of use
when the car breaks through no fault of the renter?

Someone else said it doesn't work that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On May 3, 1:19 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:

wrote:

Massive SNIPS

" "
Your missing something here. They don't have to rent ALL their cars
just that type of car. Remember that when you rent a car you are asked
what type you would like. If all of that type of car is rented your
screwed, if not you have a good case.

Are you still standing by your claim that they bill for loss of use
when the car breaks through no fault of the renter?

Someone else said it doesn't work that way.

I never made that claim

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
On May 3, 1:19 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:

wrote:

Massive SNIPS

" "
Your missing something here. They don't have to rent ALL their cars
just that type of car. Remember that when you rent a car you are asked
what type you would like. If all of that type of car is rented your
screwed, if not you have a good case.

Are you still standing by your claim that they bill for loss of use
when the car breaks through no fault of the renter?

Someone else said it doesn't work that way.

I never made that claim

a post a few posts ago, people said:
The rental guy tried to sell her INSURANCE but she said she was
covered by her own insurance, but he said not for LOSS OF USE. What
does that mean, she can't use the rental car! Don't they just give
you another one if you break the first one?

It means that, if she has an accident or a mechanical breakdown, she will be
charged for the time that the car is being repaired or replaced. Most credit
cards cover this as part of their insurance when used to rent a car.

Hah... If I have a mechanical breakdown, I'm thinking that the rental
company should be compensating me, not the other way around.

And you replied:
"Unfortunately they don't see it that way. They see it as you broke
it."

Now I don't know what you meant, but I thought you meant that they
bill for loss of use when the car breaks down, even if the renter
didn't break it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On May 3, 1:19 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:

wrote:

Massive SNIPS
" "
[...]

I wasn't talking about no fault type claims, and as you said you
didn't know what I meant. I guess you proved that assuming does make
an ass out of you.