Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Renting a car

On May 3, 1:19 pm, jJim McLaughlin wrote:
wrote:

Massive SNIPS

Near as I can tell, all the insurance you buy for the rental
co. is that, if you don't buy it, they'll hit your credit card for
the loss until your insurance. co. coughs up the money, and if you
don't, they won't.- Hide quoted text -

The other wrinkle here in the multitudinous questions about "What
coverage do you already have, and what coverage doy you get if you buy
the rip off xtras from the car rental company (see, no hidden agenda, my
agenda is right out in the open , BFG) is what happens if you carry a
big umbrella policy in addition too your personal car insurance?

There are as many answers to that as there are folks out there in 51
(fifty states, District of Columbia) jurisdictions renting cars who have
personal and umbrella policies. No "one size fits all" answer is correct.

Here's another one -- you work for Almagamatedmegagolith, Inc., and rent
on a comany credit card?

Or you work for the feds and are travelling on business for them and
rent on one of those Diners Club cards the feds use for travel expenses?

I have one card I use for car rentals when travelin. It has its own
"insurance" on it for car rentals, including the phhony "loss of use"
claims. The card has a $ 2500 limit. A rental co can ding away all
day on that and not get much if anything out of me. (And no, knock
wood, I've not had an accident in a rental.)

My other two cards have substantially higher limits. Car companies
never get to see them.

What does the credit card limit have to do with the rental company
suing you and coming after you for the loss of a $25000 car? It may
be harder than just charging your credit card, but it can still be
done fairly easily.