Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Renting Out a Flat

Due to a change in circumstances I am considering renting out my flat,
which is in a purpose built block in a good rental area.
I have to pay a quarterly service charge, council tax, etc and it would
be rented furnished (unless there's a good reason to rent it
unfurnished).

Regarding things like service charge & council tax. Is the tennant
responsible for paying them or should I build them in to the rental
price and pay them myself? I'm concerned about what would happen if
the tennants didn't pay.

Obviously I would like reliable, hassle-free tennants and for
everything to work well in the flat so I would have as little
involvement as possible. I wouldn't have much time to work on repairs,
chase late rent, etc.

Would you recommend getting a lawyer to write an official rental
contract or just do it on a handshake & deposit and should I hand it
over to an agency or do it myself?

Thank you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

I rent out two properties so I have some experience that may help.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Due to a change in circumstances I am considering renting out my flat,
which is in a purpose built block in a good rental area.
I have to pay a quarterly service charge, council tax, etc and it would
be rented furnished (unless there's a good reason to rent it
unfurnished).

Both of my properties are unfurnished lettings, As far as I know if it is
furnished all the materials in chairs, sofas, beds, etc have to be fire
retardent and you have to be able to prove it. If it is let furnished you
can claim 10% of the yearly rental as a tax allowance for wear & tear.

Regarding things like service charge & council tax. Is the tennant
responsible for paying them or should I build them in to the rental
price and pay them myself? I'm concerned about what would happen if
the tennants didn't pay.

Both of my tenants pay their own council tax, I do not have any service
charges. If they do not pay it is their problem not yours.

Obviously I would like reliable, hassle-free tennants and for
everything to work well in the flat so I would have as little
involvement as possible. I wouldn't have much time to work on repairs,
chase late rent, etc.

Possibly look, as you say, at having them managed. An agent (up here Leeds)
will typically take 10% of the rent plus VAT, For that they would fully
manage the property and pay you every month the rent less their 'cut'. They
would also arrange any repairs etc. with plumbers,builders etc. but should
speak to you first so you aware of any costs involved. As far as the tenant
is concerned you do not exist if you like, you could be sat next to them in
the pub and they wouldn't know, effectively the agent is the landlord. I do
not use an agent as I like to be in control of the spending and materials
used, also why give an agent 10% + VAT for something I can easily do myself.

Would you recommend getting a lawyer to write an official rental
contract or just do it on a handshake & deposit and should I hand it
over to an agency or do it myself?

I would recommend having it drawn up proffesionally, although that was easy
(and free) for me, my wife is a solicitor!

Another thing to take into account is you need to have a Landlords Gas
Safety Check done on all gas appliances in the property. This is a legal
requirement and is compulsary.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sponix wrote:
On 21 Mar 2006 02:06:12 -0800, wrote:

[...]

What percentage of the flat do you own and what percentage is
mortgaged?

The reason for asking is that the market is at a high. You might do
better selling the flat if the market is due to fall.

If house prices fall then rental prices will fall as well. The rent
achieved may not cover your mortgage..

sponix

A very large % is still mortgaged and there is also other debt secured
against the property. I'm sure if I sold there wouln't be enough to
pay off everything.
I'm also pretty sure the rent would be enough to cover monthly
outgoings e.g mortgage, repayments to loan company. But if a month or
two rent was missed I would struggle to make it up myself.

I would be a student so I'm not sure how that would affect things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The tenant has to pay the council tax. Whether you include all the other
charges in the rent is up to you, but it would be foolish not have them pay
the gas and electricity as they would leave it on 24/7 if in the rental
charge. You need a CORGI landlords certificate once a year. You need a
mains connected smoke alarm.

Look at 6 months shorthold tenancy contracts, which is the standard official
contract most use. Take references and guarantors and "check them out".
Take a deposit. Don't have students, especially foreign students. Take
British people rather than foreigners as foreigners can just flit off abroad
owing 1000s, while British people are traceable.

The above is all from knowing people who have had serious problems with
tenants. A good pay on time tenant is a rare thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Don't have students, especially foreign students. Take British people
rather than foreigners as foreigners can just flit off abroad owing 1000s,
while British people are traceable.

Thats what a £200 deposit is for and as far as I'm concerned if no occupant
is paying the rent after one month they're out on their arse.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...

You need a mains connected smoke alarm.

Not quite true. I'm a first-time landlord (my mam died and I inherited her
house) and from reading the "Landlords Information Pack" that I got from our
local council, and also advice from the letting agency we're using, there is
*no legal requirement* to fit *any* smoke alarms whatsoever.

We *have* fitted mains alarms because we just thought it was commonsense and
the right thing to do, but we didn't *legally* need to - unless it's an HMO
(house in multiple occupancy - which ours isn't).

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On 21 Mar 2006 02:06:12 -0800 wrote :
Regarding things like service charge & council tax. Is the tennant
responsible for paying them or should I build them in to the rental
price and pay them myself? I'm concerned about what would happen if
the tennants didn't pay.

You are responsible for the service charge. Council Tax is the
responsibility of the tenant: make sure you write to the Council
telling them the tenant's name and when they move in so that they
don't come after you if it's not paid.

Would you recommend getting a lawyer to write an official rental
contract or just do it on a handshake & deposit and should I hand it
over to an agency or do it myself?

Agencies tend to take a lot of money for not doing a lot (their
so-called vetting is not always very reliable). Having said that, the
last time we let a flat we advertised in the local paper and Loot and
got no response so ended up with an agent - possibly it's the case
that would-be tenants just prefer the easy life so go to an agent who
offers them a list with full details.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sponix

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:10:13 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Don't have students, especially foreign students. Take
British people rather than foreigners as foreigners can just flit off abroad
owing 1000s, while British people are traceable.

Friends parents rented bedsits and they would only take employed
males.

Apparently females were more likely to do a runner without paying or
cause damage.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in message
. uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Don't have students, especially foreign students. Take British people
rather than foreigners as foreigners can just flit off abroad owing 1000s,
while British people are traceable.

Thats what a £200 deposit is for and as far as I'm concerned if no
occupant
is paying the rent after one month they're out on their arse.

Thats tosh, a "200 deposit wouldn't, presumably, even cover one months rent.
I was adviced to make my bonds £100 more than the monthly rent, so you were
covered for at least some inconvenience etc if the tenant 'did a flit'. It
is not as easy as you suggest to get a sitting tenant out of the house. So
far, touch wood, I have not had any problems in the 5 years I have been
renting out but you cannot just sling out a non paying tenant. You need to
go through the correct procedures or you can find yourself in hot water!

To the OP go have a look at http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/ and click on the
'Forum' link at the top left and maybe post a question in there. The people
that frequent that site are mainly landlords etc. and are very knowledgeable
and helpful with it.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S

John wrote:

Possibly look, as you say, at having them managed. An agent (up here
Leeds)
will typically take 10% of the rent plus VAT, For that they would fully
manage the property and pay you every month the rent less their 'cut'.
They would also arrange any repairs etc. with plumbers,builders etc. but
should
speak to you first so you aware of any costs involved. As far as the
tenant is concerned you do not exist if you like, you could be sat next to
them in the pub and they wouldn't know, effectively the agent is the
landlord. I do not use an agent as I like to be in control of the spending
and materials used, also why give an agent 10% + VAT for something I can
easily do myself.

Check out 3rd party review of the agent if you do this. Ask for references
that you can verify both from landlords and tenants.

I'm a tenant, and the agent is supposedly managing the property.

Bloody useless they are too. They manage the annual gas check and collecting
the money. Heating failures I've had to deal with myself in winter, with a
baby and bill the landlord when he returned ("nothing to do with us"). Most
other faults I pass directly to the landlord.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Don't have students, especially foreign
students. Take British people
rather than foreigners as foreigners
can just flit off abroad owing 1000s,
while British people are traceable.

Thats what a £200 deposit is for

One month deposit.

and as far as I'm concerned if no occupant
is paying the rent after one month they're
out on their arse.

Are they? The law says otherwise. You have no right whatsoever to enter
the flat. The flat is lawfully theirs until they vacate or the contract
ends. If you do enter the police will prosecute you. The police can't even
enter. They don't need to allow the CORGI engineer in either. If their is
an explosion then they are prosecuted not the landlord. You can only take
legal action when rent is 2 months behind. So, a tenant can be a month
behind for ever until you give notice to quit, which is 2 months notice.
They can pay a deposit and one months rent in advance and do nothing. You
can take legal action for possession when rent is 2 months behind, then can
ignore it. You can turn up to their door and they can call the police
citing harassment, and the police will remove or prosecute you. The legal
action then goes to court and they sit in your flat paying nothing. The
court awards you possession and the rent and legal fees due. This all takes
time. They ignore it all. Then you arrange for the "court" bailiffs to
break into the flat and give you possession. More time. They are given
notice of the bailiffs date of arrival. They can vacate the flat on the
previous day and just walk straight out. They can call the police if they
think their is going to be a breach of the peace by the landlord. The
police allows them out in safety and will prosecute the landlord if their is
any harassment or assault or abuse. In short the police aid and abet a
fraudster. All this may be 9 months and they paid two months rent in total.
While they are ripping you off, you cannot cut off any services whatsoever.
You must also attend to any problems of maintenance. If you do not they can
pay to have the maintenance done and charge you.

After the bailiffs come you have your flat back and have lost a wedge in
rent, legal and bailiff fees. They legally owe you all this. Then you have
to trace them to collect. More money. Always take their employers name and
address, if two of them then both, then the legal people can get the money
directly off them via the employer (I think I am right on this point).
Always take a guarantor and check them out and that they exist.

Many landlords start off honest people and after a while resort to heavies
to counter the fraudsters and bad tenants. I know friend you had all this
done to him. He now does all the checks thoroughly and very assertive when
rent is not paid on time. Always send a demand letter when not paid on
time, as this stacks in the landlords favour in court. If their are serious
problems he get a firm in, who employ heavies, who will deal with any
problems.

On speaking a policeman friend, the copper said if it happened to him, he
would get burglars he knows to strip the place out when they are at work
(can be done in 15 mins), then change the locks and securely board up the
doors and windows with padlocks. When they come back, they will call the
police, the landlord says I had wind that they had flitted and move in and
secured the property, I now have possession. If they say otherwise then the
lanmdlord can say they trying it on and ignore the lot. I'm not sure if in
law the policeman is right on the last point.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Regarding things like service charge & council tax. Is the tennant
responsible for paying them or should I build them in to the rental
price and pay them myself? I'm concerned about what would happen if
the tennants didn't pay.

Usually the tenant pays everything except for the service charge and
the buildings insurance. Apart from anything else the council tax may
vary according to the teneant's circumstances.

Obviously I would like reliable, hassle-free tennants and for
everything to work well in the flat so I would have as little
involvement as possible. I wouldn't have much time to work on repairs,
chase late rent, etc.

Would you recommend getting a lawyer to write an official rental
contract or just do it on a handshake & deposit and should I hand it
over to an agency or do it myself?

It's easy to get a proper form to fill in for a 'shorthold tenancy'
which is what you want for this sort of letting.

Our experience over the years has been that direct letting with an
agreement direct between us and the tenants has *always* worked much,
much better than letting through agents. The agents we have been
involved with (and others I have heard about before and since) just
introduce an extra layer of hassle and do very little for you at all.
Tenants seem to feel the same way about agents!

The one exception was a 'one man band' who was actually as much of an
odd job man as an agent, he not only dealt with day to day enquiries
from the tenant but would also fix/replace washing machines and such
when they went wrong. Sadly he retired many years ago.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On 21 Mar 2006 02:06:12 -0800 wrote :
Regarding things like service charge & council tax. Is the tennant
responsible for paying them or should I build them in to the rental
price and pay them myself? I'm concerned about what would happen if
the tennants didn't pay.

You are responsible for the service charge. Council Tax is the
responsibility of the tenant: make sure you write to the Council
telling them the tenant's name and when they move in so that they
don't come after you if it's not paid.

Would you recommend getting a lawyer to write an official rental
contract or just do it on a handshake & deposit and should I hand it
over to an agency or do it myself?

Agencies tend to take a lot of money for not doing a lot (their
so-called vetting is not always very reliable).

I believe Which do a good book on letting and have the contracts in. It is
also full of advice for both sides. Never read it so don't know if it is
all that good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Obviously I would like reliable, hassle-free tennants and for
everything to work well in the flat so I would have as little
involvement as possible. I wouldn't have much time to work on repairs,
chase late rent, etc.

Possibly look, as you say, at having them managed. An agent (up here Leeds)
will typically take 10% of the rent plus VAT, For that they would fully
manage the property and pay you every month the rent less their 'cut'. They
would also arrange any repairs etc. with plumbers,builders etc. but should
speak to you first so you aware of any costs involved.

I'd be *very* surprised if you find an agent who will do all that (at
least not in reality).

Another thing to take into account is you need to have a Landlords Gas
Safety Check done on all gas appliances in the property. This is a legal
requirement and is compulsary.

Yes!

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee

Autolycus wrote:
What do your mortgage providers and others who have charges on your
property say about the idea?

There may also be restrictions on letting in the lease/commonhold
agreement...

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On 21 Mar 2006 12:20:45 GMT wrote :
They
would also arrange any repairs etc. with plumbers,builders etc.
but should speak to you first so you aware of any costs involved.

I'd be *very* surprised if you find an agent who will do all that (at
least not in reality).

It's a long time ago now, but my sister worked for a managing agents
who did all this. Of course they added 10% (or whatever) to the repair
costs so didn't feel too constrained to keep costs down.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:17:32 -0000 Doctor Drivel wrote :
One month deposit.

Best advice now seems to be not to take exactly one month's rent as
the tenant is likely to not pay the last month's rent leaving you
with no deposit.

The comments about the legal hassles of getting rid of a bad tenant
are spot on. We had one who stopped paying. We passed it over to
our solicitor who managed to give them two months + 1 day notice.
The tenant, no doubt advised by CAB, pointed out that the notice
had to expire on a rent day so was invalid - this of course was at
the court hearing six weeks after the first notice had come into
effect (or not as it turned out). So start all over again, two
months, six weeks, possession order .... eventually she moved. One
false move and you're nailed for harrassment.

Our family business has been in letting since I was a kid and 90%+
of tenants are nice decent honest people. The problem, if you have
just one property, is that if you have a bad tenant you have 100%
bad!

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm
[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:17:32 -0000 Doctor Drivel wrote :
One month deposit.

Best advice now seems to be not to take exactly one month's rent as
the tenant is likely to not pay the last month's rent leaving you
with no deposit.

The comments about the legal hassles of getting rid of a bad tenant
are spot on. We had one who stopped paying. We passed it over to
our solicitor who managed to give them two months + 1 day notice.
The tenant, no doubt advised by CAB, pointed out that the notice
had to expire on a rent day so was invalid - this of course was at
the court hearing six weeks after the first notice had come into
effect (or not as it turned out). So start all over again, two
months, six weeks, possession order .... eventually she moved.

Did the court give you costs and did you pursue it from her.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:28:22 -0000 Doctor Drivel wrote :
Did the court give you costs and did you pursue it from her.

No, we'd probably have got £5 per month and never seen that. When
it comes to bad tenants it's all too easy to throw good money
after bad.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm
[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Beelzebub

Doctor Drivel wrote:

Don't have students, especially foreign
students. Take British people
rather than foreigners as foreigners
can just flit off abroad owing 1000s,
while British people are traceable.

Thats what a £200 deposit is for

One month deposit.

Month and a half seems to be becoming the norm, even.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Beelzebub

"Autolycus" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...

A very large % is still mortgaged and there is also other debt secured
against the property. I'm sure if I sold there wouln't be enough to
pay off everything.

What do your mortgage providers and others who have charges on your
property say about the idea?

They may not be too delighted at the prospect - as others have pointed
out, rental values and sale values of flats could decrease, particularly
in view of the huge number of unsold conversions that will soon be
looking for occupiers in many areas. Lenders (quite reasonably) want to
be sure they'd get their money back, even if they were selling in
difficult circumstances (repossession, difficult tenant, trashed
internally), so at very least they'd probably want to move you to one of
their "buy to let" mortgages, at a higher interest rate.

When I moved south, I rented out my house in Scotland. My mortgage was with
the Woolwich spit and for a small(!) fee of £100, I was allowed to rent
the property out for a period of up to 2 years on that mortgage agreement.
Any longer would've meant having to re-negotiate the mortgage terms ie buy
to let etc.

I used a letting agent, given I was nearly 400 miles from mine. They charged
12.5% per month for the privilege. The tenants were responsible for the
rent, council tax and all the domestic bills. I had the same tenants for
the 18 months or so and it wasn't a bad experience, although I'd probably
not do it again. The rent just covered and no more. In my present house, I
would not be able to recoup my mortgage payments in rent (down south prices
now, see).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know some landlords...

wrote:

Due to a change in circumstances I am considering renting out my flat,
which is in a purpose built block in a good rental area.
I have to pay a quarterly service charge, council tax, etc and it would
be rented furnished (unless there's a good reason to rent it
unfurnished).

Regarding things like service charge & council tax. Is the tennant
responsible for paying them or should I build them in to the rental

price and pay them myself? I'm concerned about what would happen if
the tennants didn't pay.

You need to budget for non payment, it always happens. Not every time
but it will. You need to budget for far more than 2 months of course.

Obviously I would like reliable, hassle-free tennants and for
everything to work well in the flat so I would have as little
involvement as possible. I wouldn't have much time to work on repairs,
chase late rent, etc.

then youve got a problem. If you hand this over to an agent they'll
charge good money for it, and they often employ handymen that will
steam you as much as they can. Its common to find they charge inflated
prices, and something that would take a 1 minute visit from you to fix
is likely to cost you £20-40.

You also have to deal with tenants who call you out when the light
doesnt work, and you find its just the bulb gone. And the regular lost
key calls. Put it this way, if they could get their act together would
they still be renting, or would they have bought their own place?

Would you recommend getting a lawyer to write an official rental
contract or just do it on a handshake & deposit and should I hand it
over to an agency or do it myself?

ready made forms

Once you've paid the various bills, including insurance which is triple
the price for rentals, higher interest level for the lender, ongoing
repairs and renovates after a trashing, and deducted the unpaid rent,
the chance of even coming close to paying the mortgage is just about
zero. If it did, everyone would be doing it. Rental is a long term
investment business. I know this from spending many hours running
through sets of figures.

Dont forget to factor occupancy in, which wont be 100% over the long
term.

All the tripe on tv seems to be giving a lot of people the idea that
they can easily make money on property rental. Its just not like that.
I had one friend who 'invested.' He was lucky, only ended up losing
4,500 on the whole thing. His phrase was 'never again.' And another
that ended up forced to sell and lost most of his money.

Drivel is right except for one point: when a court is faced with the
choice of you housing the tenant or the local council, they'll
frequently let you do it at no cost to them. The courts for the most
part could not care less what your problems are, youre just a ready
supply of free housing to them.

If you dont believe me, ask some landlords.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

In message ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Makes no difference even if you can trace them... if they've got no
money, you get no money or.. If they've got money, they will plead
poverty and a judge will let them pay £10 per month. They will pay it
for a few months, then stop... and you have to go to court again.

The above is all from knowing people who have had serious problems with
tenants. A good pay on time tenant is a rare thing.

--
Richard Faulkner
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Doctor Drivel wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Due to a change in circumstances I am considering renting out my flat,
which is in a purpose built block in a good rental area.
I have to pay a quarterly service charge, council tax, etc and it would
be rented furnished (unless there's a good reason to rent it
unfurnished).

Furnished vs unfurnished is a difficult one. There tends to be not a
lot of difference in rent; worth asking local agents which has most
demand locally. If you leave it furnished, you need to be sure all the
furniture comes up to legal standard as regards smoke inhalation in a
fire; the tenants may trash it (although you can offset vs rent income);
tenants may not stay as long because moving out is far less upheaval.
If you let unfurnished, presumably you'll have to sell or stire your
furniture.

Regarding things like service charge & council tax. Is the tennant
responsible for paying them or should I build them in to the rental
price and pay them myself? I'm concerned about what would happen if
the tennants didn't pay.

Definitely have the tenant pay the council tax - you let the council
know when they move in, then if they don't pay up it's nothing to do
with you (although this is likely to change). Same thing applies to all
the utility bills; if you give them the meter readings and tell them
when the tenant moves in and out, you have no liability at all if the
tenant does a bunk without paying. I don't know how your service charge
works - is it significant, and would the freeholder chase you for it if
the tenant didn't pay them? Presumably so - in which case I think I'd
just build it in to the rent.

Obviously I would like reliable, hassle-free tennants and for
everything to work well in the flat so I would have as little
involvement as possible. I wouldn't have much time to work on repairs,
chase late rent, etc.

Would you recommend getting a lawyer to write an official rental
contract or just do it on a handshake & deposit and should I hand it
over to an agency or do it myself?

Sounds like you definitely need an agent to manage the place then,
although it's very expensive for what they do. No need to involve
lawyers, the agent will set up an Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreement
when the take on the tenant - that's one thing they do actually have to
do for their fee! (Don't even *think* of doing it on a handshake...)

You need a mains connected smoke alarm.

An excellent idea, true, but not actually compulsory unless the property
was built recently (ie, since building regulations insisted upon these
being fitted).

Look at 6 months shorthold tenancy contracts, which is the standard
official contract most use. Take references and guarantors and "check
them out". Take a deposit. Don't have students, especially foreign
students. Take British people rather than foreigners as foreigners can
just flit off abroad owing 1000s, while British people are traceable.

Agree with all that, but if you use an agent, they will find the tenant
for you and *should* do all the above! If you're a first-timer, you'd
be well-recommended to leave sourcing the tenant to an agent.

Most important is that you vet the agent you choose - check their T&Cs
and fees very carefully, and make sure you use one who's a member of the
trade organisation ARLA or equivalent. Be assured that there are plenty
of really naff agents out there.

One good example of how agents stiff a wet-behind-the-ears landlord (and
yes, I was he!) is to set up a 6-month AST, for which they will charge
the landlord and tenant handsomely, and then in 6 months time, and every
6 months thereafter, will charge again for 'renewal' fees. Whereas,
it's completely unecessary to renew an AST - after the initial period
has expired, it legally defaults indefinitely to a 'periodic' tenancy,
which retains all the T&Cs of the original tenancy agreement, with the
landlord having to give the tenant 2 months notice to quit, and the
tenant giving the landlord 1 months notice.

The above is all from knowing people who have had serious problems with
tenants. A good pay on time tenant is a rare thing.

Touch wood, I've never yet had a problem, or any tenants who weren't
'good pay-on-time' types. Have to say I do vet them very, very
carefully though, and also trust my instinct.

Check out www.landlordzone.co.uk - excellent info resource, and has a
very helpful forum.

Good luck
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

In message , Owain
writes
Tony Bryer wrote:
You are responsible for the service charge. Council Tax is the
responsibility of the tenant: make sure you write to the Council
telling them the tenant's name and when they move in so that they
don't come after you if it's not paid.

Oh yes they will, there is a hierachy of liability and if the occupier
doesn't pay then the owner has to.

No he doesnt - I've had loads of tenants not pay council tax and have
never been approached for it. And the council know exactly who I am and
where I live.

--
Richard Faulkner
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

In message , Owain
writes
wrote:
Would you recommend getting a lawyer to write an official rental
contract or just do it on a handshake & deposit

You *must* have a proper tenancy agreement with all the proper notices
served on the tenant before the start of the tenancy, otherwise you run
a very real risk of granting the tenant security of tenure for life.

You cant say "must" anymore as, without a written tenancy, it is assumed
to be an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. In fact, using the wrong form of
tenancy agreement could create exactly the problem you are suggesting,
so a verbal agreement could be as good as any - except you wouldnt be
able to use the Accelerated Possession procedure, and would have to
attend a hearing if you want possession.

You can get the forms from stationers or even tesco.com but follow the
instructions very carefully.

I use the RLA forms, which you can get by joining, (possibly as a
guest), and have used them successfully in several evictions.

and should I hand it over to an agency or do it myself?

If you can find a good agent ...

agreed

If you live locally you are probably better managing it yourself.

agreed

You will need your insurers' and mortgagors' agreement and some
mortgage companies will insist that the property is let through an
agency.

Moot point. The mortgage agreement usually requires this, but you dont
actually need it.

Not trying to be awkward, but this is a very trick area.

Regds

--
Richard Faulkner
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

In message .com,
writes
Due to a change in circumstances I am considering renting out my flat,
which is in a purpose built block in a good rental area.
I have to pay a quarterly service charge, council tax, etc and it would
be rented furnished (unless there's a good reason to rent it
unfurnished).

Furnished seems to be in more demand in most places, and you can claim
10% of rent collected as an allowance for depreciation. You can set this
against your rental profit if there is any.

Regarding things like service charge & council tax. Is the tennant
responsible for paying them or should I build them in to the rental
price and pay them myself? I'm concerned about what would happen if
the tennants didn't pay.

The service charge is your responsibility, so you should pay this. The
tenants are responsible for utilities and council tax, so you should
leave it to them to pay this - if you build these things into the rent,
and they dont pay the rent, you lose both the rent, and remain
responsible for the bills.

Obviously I would like reliable, hassle-free tennants and for
everything to work well in the flat so I would have as little
involvement as possible. I wouldn't have much time to work on repairs,
chase late rent, etc.

The $64 million question - tenants are a bit "luck of the draw". The
best thing you can do is make sure they are working and can afford the
rent, and get a reference off their previous landlord. Whether things
work is down to you.

Dont take on tenants on Housing benefit!!! Dont let to someone who has
to move in "tomorrow" - i.e. before you can do the checks.

Would you recommend getting a lawyer to write an official rental
contract or just do it on a handshake & deposit and should I hand it
over to an agency or do it myself?

Dont use a solicitor unless they are top class specialists in Housing
e.g. they act for a local Housing Association or similar. I used one
once, ( a mate of mine), and all of his paperwork was out of date, even
though the firm had a Housing Specialist.

I use a letting agent to let and manage most of my properties, but
beware, because some are absolutely useless. I use another agent to let
one property in manchester city centre, then manage it myself, (it's
new, so not much to do).

It took me several years, (a lot of internet research, and some very bad
experiences), and quite a lot in lost rent, to learn how the system and
the law works, so you might be best getting an agent to do it for you,
(as above, I use one even though I could save a lot of money doing it
myself).

Where is your flat - if it's anywhere near me, I'll recommend the agency
I use.

--
Richard Faulkner

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Faulkner

In message , Lobster
writes
Most important is that you vet the agent you choose - check their T&Cs
and fees very carefully, and make sure you use one who's a member of
the
trade organisation ARLA or equivalent. Be assured that there are
plenty
of really naff agents out there.

Some of them belong to the various trade associations g

--
Richard Faulkner
Posted to uk.d-i-y

snip
Thank you so much for all the replies. It seems like there's so much
to consider.
The problem is I might not be able to afford to sell as I probably
wouldn't make enough to pay everything charged against the property.
But then I also might not be able to afford the mortgage either if I
stay!

I'll have to look into the options more I think before I do anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Richard Faulkner wrote:
In message , Owain
writes

Tony Bryer wrote:

You are responsible for the service charge. Council Tax is the
responsibility of the tenant: make sure you write to the Council
telling them the tenant's name and when they move in so that they
don't come after you if it's not paid.

Oh yes they will, there is a hierachy of liability and if the occupier
doesn't pay then the owner has to.

No he doesnt - I've had loads of tenants not pay council tax and have
never been approached for it. And the council know exactly who I am and
where I live.

Probably a Scottish - English law difference? ...he says
diplomatically! I certainly agree with Richard as far as England goes.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony Bryer

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:56:08 GMT Lobster wrote :
One good example of how agents stiff a wet-behind-the-ears landlord (and
yes, I was he!) is to set up a 6-month AST, for which they will charge
the landlord and tenant handsomely, and then in 6 months time, and every
6 months thereafter, will charge again for 'renewal' fees. Whereas,
it's completely unecessary to renew an AST - after the initial period
has expired, it legally defaults indefinitely to a 'periodic' tenancy,

I tend to agree with you, but if this were not the case the letting agent
would be far more disposed to try and find tenants who were not likely to
stay beyond the set term so he could then get a relet. At least this way
it is in the agent's interest as well as yours to find a good tenant who
will stay for a decent time.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.12 released 8 Dec 2005]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message

That is why they are forced into using heavies rather than the law, because
the law favours fraudsters and thieves. Anyone who enters into an agreement
and does not pay, and clearly has no intention of is a thief. If a kid
snatches a bag in the street with £50 in it and pushes over an old ladyover
while doing it, it is headline news. Swindle 10s of thousands and law backs
them up and allows them to go their merry way.

You are right. Under a shorthold tenancy agreement, the law specifically
states that when this happens this should occur. So, the court should give
possession if all is in order. Many have not because the tenant has nowhere
to go, so the landlord is acting as a free homeless centre. The councils,
because of Thatcher stupidly selling off council houses for cheap votes,
don't have the accommodation.

Yet the government/financial institutions is/was encouraging naive peopleto
buy to let. Very irresponsible indeed.

For the 3rd time in living history I quite agree with you.

I forgot to add one more thing: a percentage of tenants have
personality problems that cause assorted horrors for landlords. I know
one that was hauled off by the police because a tenant was involved in
drugs, and its a criminal offence to permit a property to be used for
drugs, even when he had no way of knowing, no powers to enter and
search, no evidence, and it isnt his job to police his tenants anyway.

Letting rooms is always the last resort, except for prostitution.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
ups.com...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

This is encouraging. You are learning.

I forgot to add one more thing: a percentage of tenants have
personality problems that cause assorted horrors for landlords. I know
one that was hauled off by the police because a tenant was involved in
drugs, and its a criminal offence to permit a property to be used for
drugs, even when he had no way of knowing, no powers to enter and
search, no evidence, and it isnt his job to police his tenants anyway.

One a contract is signed, it is not the landlords property anymore, until
the contract expires and the landlord "gains possession" or a court order
gives the property back to the landlord, and only then when he "gains
possession". If a tenant is dealing in drugs from the flat then the
landlord has nothing to do with it, as long as he was not aware that the
flat was to be a dealing house when letting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...
One a contract is signed, it is not the landlords property anymore,

What a ridiculous thing to say. Of course it is still the Landlords
property, he/she still owns it! They are just allowing somebody else to
rent it and live there. If it's no longer the landlords property as you say
why then is he responsible for the buildings insurance, gas checks, repairs,
etc. etc. What about the 1000's of Council and Housing Association
properties out there are you then saying every council tenant is a home
owner?

until the contract expires and the landlord "gains possession" or a court
order gives the property back to the landlord, and only then when he "gains
possession".

Now that sounds better, the property is not in the landlords possession,
whilst the tenant lives there.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Owain wrote:
Lobster wrote:

Richard Faulkner wrote:

there is a hierachy of liability and if the occupier doesn't pay
then the owner has to.

No he doesnt - I've had loads of tenants not pay council tax and have
never been approached for it. And the council know exactly who I am
and where I live.

But a Google search on council tax liability shows the hierachy of
liability as:

The hierarchy of liability in England is:
a resident who lives in the property and who owns the freehold
a resident who lives in the property and who has a lease or who is an
assured or an assured shorthold tenant
a resident who lives in the property and who is a protected, statutory
or a secure tenant
a resident who lives in the property and who is a licensee. This means
that they are not a tenant, but have permission to stay there
any resident living in the property, for example, a squatter
an owner of the property who does not live there.

The hierarchy of liability in Scotland is:
a resident who owns all or part of the dwelling
a resident who is a tenant of all or part of the dwelling
a resident who is a statutory, statutory assured, or secure tenant of
all or part of the dwelling
a resident who is a sub-tenant of all or part of the dwelling
a resident with no security of tenure
a non-resident owner of any part of the dwelling unless there is a non-
resident tenant or sub-tenant who has a lease (or sub-lease) of six
months or more.

The owner will be liable if:-
the property is in multiple occupation, for example, a house lived in by
a number of people who all pay rent, but no-one is responsible for
paying the whole of the rent; or
the people who live in the property are all under the age of 18; or
the people who live in the property are all asylum seekers who are not
entitled to claim benefits including council tax benefit; or
the people who are staying in the property have their main homes
somewhere else; or
the property is a care home.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nw/ind...ouncil_tax.htm

Yes, but surely the "heirarchy of liability" thingy is just used to
determine who is liable to pay the CT on a property. Having used those
rules to decide that it's the resident tenant who needs to pay it, that
doesn't mean that if (s)he buggers off without coughing up, then the
liability automatically passes on to someone else. Look at the last
section above - "the owner will be liable if..." it doesn't say "if the
council are unable to wring the cash out of the sitting tenant"!

I agree the situation is different and more complex for a House of
Multiple Occupation, but that will presuambly not be the case for the
OP's flat.

Incidentally, there are moves afoot (bloody Two-Jags again, I think) to
make landlords liable for council tax on any property they rent out, and
pass on the cost within the rent, precisely for this reason - then if
the tenant does a bunk, the council won't lose out or need to chase up
unpaid CT. Bless. This change to the law wouldn't be necessary if what
you say about passing on liability was true.

David