Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bringing SER cable into PVC conduit sleeve

Hello,

I'm bringing a 1/0 Al SER cable into a short 2" Schedule 80 PVC (RNC)
sleeve to a panelboard. What's the proper way to terminate the free
end of the sleeve? I could just carefully ream the end of the PVC
conduit, or I could glue on a male adapter and use a bushing. Or is
there something like a clamp connector for RNC?

Thanks, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm bringing a 1/0 Al SER cable into a short 2" Schedule 80 PVC (RNC)
sleeve to a panelboard. What's the proper way to terminate the free
end of the sleeve? I could just carefully ream the end of the PVC
conduit, or I could glue on a male adapter and use a bushing. Or is
there something like a clamp connector for RNC?

Thanks, Wayne

Hmmm. Tough question. Technically there should be a clamp connector on the
end of the conduit. However if it is metal it would need to be grounded. I
don't know of any 2" non-metallic cable clamp connectors, but maybe there
are some out there. Try the Carlon web site. A male adapter with a bushing
might be acceptable to the inspector. Perhaps a strap on the cable within
close proximity to the conduit end might also be acceptable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-04-29, John Grabowski wrote:

I don't know of any 2" non-metallic cable clamp connectors, but
maybe there are some out there. Try the Carlon web site.

Nothing in the Carlon catalog.

Thanks for your help, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Unless you can ask the inspector first, I'd use a male adapter with a
threaded bushing, then strap the cable close to the conduit. I prefer to
file the ends of the PVC round and smooth, like gfretwell describes, as it
looks better and clamps tight against a flat surface, but I have had knit
pickin inspectors reject it

"Wayne Whitney" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm bringing a 1/0 Al SER cable into a short 2" Schedule 80 PVC (RNC)
sleeve to a panelboard. What's the proper way to terminate the free
end of the sleeve? I could just carefully ream the end of the PVC
conduit, or I could glue on a male adapter and use a bushing. Or is
there something like a clamp connector for RNC?

Thanks, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-04-29, RBM wrote:

I prefer to file the ends of the PVC round and smooth, like
gfretwell describes, as it looks better and clamps tight against a
flat surface.

What clamps tight against a flat surface? You lost me there.

Thanks, Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

When you glue male adapters and bushings on the ends of the PVC, the male
adapters and bushings hold the pipe away from the surface you're strapping
the pipe to