Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to ground an outlet without a grounding wire

I picked up a nifty receptacle/GFCI tester, and was surprised that a
number of outlets in the older part of our house (most of the house is
a later addition) are not grounded.

Simple enough. I shut off the breaker, pulled the faceplate and the
outlet out of the box, and intended to connect the line grounding wire
to the screw on the outlet.

After stripping back the sheathing, I realized that the feed cable is
not equipped with a green or bare copper grounding wire. There's just
a black and white.

My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground these
outlets?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Apr 2007 06:33:13 -0700, ctd4x4 wrote:

I picked up a nifty receptacle/GFCI tester, and was surprised that a
number of outlets in the older part of our house (most of the house is
a later addition) are not grounded.

Simple enough. I shut off the breaker, pulled the faceplate and the
outlet out of the box, and intended to connect the line grounding wire
to the screw on the outlet.

After stripping back the sheathing, I realized that the feed cable is
not equipped with a green or bare copper grounding wire. There's just
a black and white.

My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground these
outlets?

You don't. You replace the outlets with GFCIs, and label them
"no equipment ground".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ctd4x4" wrote in message
oups.com...
I picked up a nifty receptacle/GFCI tester, and was surprised that a
number of outlets in the older part of our house (most of the house is
a later addition) are not grounded.

Simple enough. I shut off the breaker, pulled the faceplate and the
outlet out of the box, and intended to connect the line grounding wire
to the screw on the outlet.

After stripping back the sheathing, I realized that the feed cable is
not equipped with a green or bare copper grounding wire. There's just
a black and white.

My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground these
outlets?

There are only 2 ways to get a grounded outlet. Replace the wiring with
wire that has a black, white, and green or bare wire in it. You can also
run a green or bare wire to each outlets grounding screw and then back to
the fuse/braker box. With only 2 wires you can not get agrounded outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

After stripping back the sheathing, I realized that the feed cable is
not equipped with a green or bare copper grounding wire. There's just
a black and white.

My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground these
outlets?

You don't. You replace the outlets with GFCIs, and label them
"no equipment ground".

GFCI would give you pretty good protection.

Also, if/when it is convenient to do so, run a separate ground wire from the
nearest grounded outlet (don't use water pipe) to the ungrounded outlets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"ctd4x4" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Yes you could.

But it couldn't power anything.....G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:27:46 GMT, "peter" wrote:

After stripping back the sheathing, I realized that the feed cable is
not equipped with a green or bare copper grounding wire. There's just
a black and white.

My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground these
outlets?

You don't. You replace the outlets with GFCIs, and label them
"no equipment ground".

GFCI would give you pretty good protection.

Also, if/when it is convenient to do so, run a separate ground wire from the
nearest grounded outlet (don't use water pipe) to the ungrounded outlets.

Why don't use water pipe? Straight question.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

If you had fault currents running through the water pipe, and someone like a
plumber, cut the pipe in the process of doing some work, he could get
electrocuted. There was a time when connecting a non grounded outlet to a
cold water pipe was code, but now only the first five feet of water entrance
pipe into a building, would be acceptable

aspasia wrote in message
news
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:27:46 GMT, "peter" wrote:

After stripping back the sheathing, I realized that the feed cable is
not equipped with a green or bare copper grounding wire. There's just
a black and white.

My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground these
outlets?

You don't. You replace the outlets with GFCIs, and label them
"no equipment ground".

GFCI would give you pretty good protection.

Also, if/when it is convenient to do so, run a separate ground wire from
the
nearest grounded outlet (don't use water pipe) to the ungrounded outlets.

Why don't use water pipe? Straight question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to ground an outlet without a grounding wire No researchdone

ctd4x4 wrote:
I picked up a nifty receptacle/GFCI tester, and was surprised that a
number of outlets in the older part of our house (most of the house is
a later addition) are not grounded.

Simple enough. I shut off the breaker, pulled the faceplate and the
outlet out of the box, and intended to connect the line grounding wire
to the screw on the outlet.

After stripping back the sheathing, I realized that the feed cable is
not equipped with a green or bare copper grounding wire. There's just
a black and white.

My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground these
outlets?

Hey Spud did a lot of research on this topic did ya? Google don't work
for ya? Geez lazy ass...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, actually, you can't. Not safely.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

oups.com...
:
: Simple enough. I shut off the breaker, pulled the faceplate and
the
: outlet out of the box, and intended to connect the line
grounding wire
: to the screw on the outlet.
:
: After stripping back the sheathing, I realized that the feed
cable is
: not equipped with a green or bare copper grounding wire.
There's just
: a black and white.
:
: My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground
these
: outlets?
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

:
: My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground
these
: outlets?
:

what sort of existing cable is there? if its BX you can ground to the
box provided it tests ok...

I am saddended no one mentioned this. its a common fix