Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default How to ground an outlet without a grounding wire

If you had fault currents running through the water pipe, and someone like a
plumber, cut the pipe in the process of doing some work, he could get
electrocuted. There was a time when connecting a non grounded outlet to a
cold water pipe was code, but now only the first five feet of water entrance
pipe into a building, would be acceptable

aspasia wrote in message
news
On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:27:46 GMT, "peter" wrote:

After stripping back the sheathing, I realized that the feed cable is
not equipped with a green or bare copper grounding wire. There's just
a black and white.

My question is, short of rewiring the circuit, how do I ground these
outlets?

You don't. You replace the outlets with GFCIs, and label them
"no equipment ground".

GFCI would give you pretty good protection.

Also, if/when it is convenient to do so, run a separate ground wire from
the
nearest grounded outlet (don't use water pipe) to the ungrounded outlets.

Why don't use water pipe? Straight question.