Posted to alt.home.repair
SBH SBH is offline

Default Planning a Paver/patio area

I am wanting to tear up a small portion of my yard (about 300 sq ft) and
make it a patio area with pavers. Unfortunately, I have a huge maple tree
very nearby and I think there may be a problem digging the required 6 inches
or more because of the roots from the maple. I like the tree, therefore,
killing the roots and increasing the chance of it dying is not an option.
One suggestion was to dig about 3 inches or so, until we start to see roots,
then level it off with mulch or something, compress it, then lay pavers on
top of the mulch, thereby, providing a so called "raised" patio area, which
I would support with treated wood borders where necessary. I was wondering
if I could use pee gravel in place of the mulch also.

Has anyone ever encountered this problem and/or if you did or not, can you
suggest other options for me to achieve my patio area?

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:35:59 -0400, "SBH"
wrote:

I am wanting to tear up a small portion of my yard (about 300 sq ft) and
make it a patio area with pavers. Unfortunately, I have a huge maple tree
very nearby and I think there may be a problem digging the required 6 inches
or more because of the roots from the maple. I like the tree, therefore,
killing the roots and increasing the chance of it dying is not an option.

How big is the tree-- what kind of maple- how close to the trunk do
you need to go? Ask a local arborist for their opinion- they can
come to the site and tell you how much root pruning the tree will
bear.
My patio is within 4' of a Swamp Maple - about 3' in diameter. I dug
down 2' & cut off roots as big as 4" in diameter on about one third of
the perimeter of the tree. It never blinked. It is just as healthy
as it was 3 yrs ago- and it provides a great deal of shade for the
patio. [it also sheds blossoms, sap and leaves on the patio- but I
consider that a fair trade]

One suggestion was to dig about 3 inches or so, until we start to see roots,
then level it off with mulch or something, compress it, then lay pavers on
top of the mulch, thereby, providing a so called "raised" patio area, which
I would support with treated wood borders where necessary. I was wondering
if I could use pee gravel in place of the mulch also.

If you want a raised patio- use lumber. If I understand what you
want to do, you are as likely to harm the tree as if you cut the
roots- and you are not likely to end up with pavers that stay in
place. Mulch [or pea gravel] under pavers is a bad idea.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Putting a paver patio over the root zone of a tree known to have
surface roots is never a good idea. The roots will likely cause the
patio to heave.

Spongy Paver Patio Jerry Home Repair 4 June 19th 06 12:41 PM
Patio paver installation problem Angel Home Repair 1 May 11th 05 02:38 AM
Paver patio Matt Morgan Home Repair 5 April 4th 05 12:04 PM
Paver Stone Patio Installation Question M.Paul Home Repair 6 September 3rd 04 09:17 PM
paver patio steps Rob Home Repair 2 July 18th 03 03:17 PM