Posted to alt.home.repair
Jerry

Default Spongy Paver Patio

We installed a brick patio a week ago and today I rented the plate
compactor to go over the pavers. After going over them, one area
towards the side is now spongy while the rest of the patio seems firm
and solid. Do I need to do some kind of repair on this or is this
normal? Can I expect the spongy area to settle down after a while or
will it just get worse?

We have a 6-inch lime-stone base that is flat and well compacted with
1-inch of sand between it and the pavers.

Thanks,

--
Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

"Jerry" wrote:

We installed a brick patio a week ago and today I rented the plate
compactor to go over the pavers. After going over them, one area
towards the side is now spongy while the rest of the patio seems firm
and solid. Do I need to do some kind of repair on this or is this
normal? Can I expect the spongy area to settle down after a while or
will it just get worse?

I suspect you will eventually end up with a low spot. The low spot
will collect water which will speed the process and at some point
you'll have to repair it. But that is the beauty of pavers. Tear
out what you have to and fix it-- leaving the rest alone.

We have a 6-inch lime-stone base that is flat and well compacted with
1-inch of sand between it and the pavers.

You say it is "well compacted". Did you rent the compactor to do the
base? Did you wet the base down a few times as you were compacting?
Did you compact that whole 6" at once, or did you do it two or three
layers?

I suspect your base is the problem-- or there is a geologic anomaly
going on and a sinkhole will swallow your patio someday.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jerry

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Jerry" wrote:

We installed a brick patio a week ago and today I rented the plate
compactor to go over the pavers. After going over them, one area
towards the side is now spongy while the rest of the patio seems firm
and solid. Do I need to do some kind of repair on this or is this
normal? Can I expect the spongy area to settle down after a while or
will it just get worse?

I suspect you will eventually end up with a low spot. The low spot
will collect water which will speed the process and at some point
you'll have to repair it. But that is the beauty of pavers. Tear
out what you have to and fix it-- leaving the rest alone.

We have a 6-inch lime-stone base that is flat and well compacted with
1-inch of sand between it and the pavers.

You say it is "well compacted". Did you rent the compactor to do the
base?

Yes.

Did you wet the base down a few times as you were compacting?

It rained a little while I was compacting so I didn't wet it.

Did you compact that whole 6" at once, or did you do it two or three
layers?

The whole thing at once.

I suspect your base is the problem-- or there is a geologic anomaly
going on and a sinkhole will swallow your patio someday.

Heh, that would really suck.

--
Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair
Noozer

I suspect your base is the problem-- or there is a geologic anomaly
going on and a sinkhole will swallow your patio someday.

Heh, that would really suck.

He said swallow, not suck. Go ask your wife what the difference is.

duck

: )

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

"Jerry" wrote:
-snip-
Did you wet the base down a few times as you were compacting?

It rained a little while I was compacting so I didn't wet it.

If you're in a monsoon area 'a little' might do it, but I like to
soak- like 1-2" of water my base every couple inches.

Did you compact that whole 6" at once, or did you do it two or three
layers?

The whole thing at once.

Bad combination. You might have gotten away with one or the other-
but done this way the base will form a crust and take some time to
settle.

Also- i forgot to ask before. Did you use a weed barrier under the
base? Not to stop weeds, but to keep the base from mixing with the
native soil. For fun sometime, take a shovel full of gravel &
throw it in a muddy spot. Step on it and watch the gravel disappear.
Then put down a weed barrier and throw a shovel full of gravel on
that-- and walk on it.

Depending on your constitution you could tear out that section- rent
an elephant foot compacter for a day and do it up right. Or wait
until it bugs you and do it then. You might get lucky and have it
sink slowly enough that you move or die before it bugs you.

Jim

Paver Stone Patio Next to Large Oak Tree Greg Home Repair 9 June 8th 06 04:06 AM
Patio paver installation problem Angel Home Repair 1 May 11th 05 02:38 AM
Paver patio Matt Morgan Home Repair 5 April 4th 05 12:04 PM
Paver Stone Patio Installation Question M.Paul Home Repair 6 September 3rd 04 09:17 PM
paver patio steps Rob Home Repair 2 July 18th 03 03:17 PM