Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

Default Spongy Paver Patio

"Jerry" wrote:

We installed a brick patio a week ago and today I rented the plate
compactor to go over the pavers. After going over them, one area
towards the side is now spongy while the rest of the patio seems firm
and solid. Do I need to do some kind of repair on this or is this
normal? Can I expect the spongy area to settle down after a while or
will it just get worse?

I suspect you will eventually end up with a low spot. The low spot
will collect water which will speed the process and at some point
you'll have to repair it. But that is the beauty of pavers. Tear
out what you have to and fix it-- leaving the rest alone.

We have a 6-inch lime-stone base that is flat and well compacted with
1-inch of sand between it and the pavers.

You say it is "well compacted". Did you rent the compactor to do the
base? Did you wet the base down a few times as you were compacting?
Did you compact that whole 6" at once, or did you do it two or three
layers?

I suspect your base is the problem-- or there is a geologic anomaly
going on and a sinkhole will swallow your patio someday.

Jim