Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sock in washing machine water pump!

I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this problem before. Today we
were doing the wash and the Kenmore direct-drive washer started
buzzing when it should have been moving the agitator. After taking off
the cabinet and removing the motor and pump, I noticed that a baby
sock had gotten clogged inside the water pump impeller. I looked
inside the metal basket and the holes just seem way to small for a
sock (even a baby sock) to get through. Has anyone ever seen this
problem before? I'm glad it is fixed, but now I don't know how careful
I should be with other small clothing items. Thanks in advance for
your input.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 12:46?am, wrote:
I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this problem before. Today we
were doing the wash and the Kenmore direct-drive washer started
buzzing when it should have been moving the agitator. After taking off
the cabinet and removing the motor and pump, I noticed that a baby
sock had gotten clogged inside the water pump impeller. I looked
inside the metal basket and the holes just seem way to small for a
sock (even a baby sock) to get through. Has anyone ever seen this
problem before? I'm glad it is fixed, but now I don't know how careful
I should be with other small clothing items. Thanks in advance for
your input.

yeah happended to me, destroyed the pump, big expensive hassle.

a lingerie bag is a excellent solution

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons not to have kids.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 7:51 am, wrote:
I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons not to have kids.

Well, it is true that kids can "supply" you with a constant stream of
home.repair tasks. Although mine are still pretty small, they are
definitely worth all the trouble and headache!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 8:51?am, wrote:
I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons not to have kids.

actually the offending sock was mine.

anyone can use anything as a reason to not have kids. when you get
older you will regret it.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

I noticed that a baby
sock had gotten clogged inside the water pump impeller. I looked
inside the metal basket and the holes just seem way to small for a
sock (even a baby sock) to get through.

It went over the side, not through the holes...
Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
I noticed that a baby
sock had gotten clogged inside the water pump impeller. I looked
inside the metal basket and the holes just seem way to small for a
sock (even a baby sock) to get through.

It went over the side, not through the holes...
Mark

Most likely during the loading not when the wash was on.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons not to have kids.

Well, your g-string will do the same thing....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Has anyone ever seen this problem before?

Yep. Overloading the machine, or loading stuff in after the water has
filled the tub, can cause items to walk over the top of the tub.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sock in washing machine water pump!

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Mon, Apr 23, 2007, 5:51am (EDT-3) From:

I'm adding your story to my long list of reasons not to have kids.

LOL... And the least of those is a 'sock in the pump'...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 5:46 pm, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Has anyone ever seen this problem before?

Yep. Overloading the machine, or loading stuff in after the water has
filled the tub, can cause items to walk over the top of the tub.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I inspected the tub a little more
carefully tonight, and there does appear to be a seam at the top
through which a sock could have escaped into the outer tub and down
into the pump. Lesson learned.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the input everyone! I inspected the tub a little more
carefully tonight, and there does appear to be a seam at the top
through which a sock could have escaped into the outer tub and down
into the pump. Lesson learned.

yeah I never have socks on top.....

since I made this change I havent had a problem, but DONT overload
either, a too full tub makes it more likely

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 20:01:58 -0400, (Charles
Pisano) wrote:

actually the offending sock was mine.

The rubber swan is mine. 1963