Sjoerd Arlman

Default Washing machine (broken?) pump

My washing machine (zanussi zf 400 WN) fills up with water when I run
it. I get the feeling that the pump is broken (which makes a loud
rattling noise when it should be pumping). Have checked the filter at
the front after draining the damn thing a bucket at a time, which was
(nearly) clean but that did not solve the problem.

Assuming I'd rather fix this machine myself than to call a mechanic or
buy a new one, what would be the best way to proceed? Is the pump
probably broken, or just obstructed by something?

Thanks in advance,

Sjoerd
Ewan MacIntyre

Sjoerd Arlman wrote:
My washing machine (zanussi zf 400 WN) fills up with water when I run
it. I get the feeling that the pump is broken (which makes a loud
rattling noise when it should be pumping). Have checked the filter at
the front after draining the damn thing a bucket at a time, which was
(nearly) clean but that did not solve the problem.

The rattling noise sounds familiar - my Candy did the same some months
ago. For a while it worked ok, but noisily, then occasionally the
machine would not drain at all.

It turned out that a supermarket loyalty card, cut into 4 pieces, had
got stuck in the blades of the pump. Removing these was a great help,
and I got another could of months out of it, before the pump packed in
completely.

I got a new one from http://www.sparesrus.co.uk/ , and fitting it was
pretty easy. Hardest part was unclamping the drain hose from the pump.

Before I touched the pump at all, I ran the machine with the panels off
- just to drain water. This allowed me to check that the sound did
indeed come from the pump - though being very careful not to touch
anything or put fingers near it.

Ewan

Set Square

Sjoerd Arlman wrote:

My washing machine (zanussi zf 400 WN) fills up with water when I run
it. I get the feeling that the pump is broken (which makes a loud
rattling noise when it should be pumping). Have checked the filter at
the front after draining the damn thing a bucket at a time, which was
(nearly) clean but that did not solve the problem.

Assuming I'd rather fix this machine myself than to call a mechanic or
buy a new one, what would be the best way to proceed? Is the pump
probably broken, or just obstructed by something?

Thanks in advance,

Sjoerd

With the filter removed, you may be able to see the impellor of the pump.
Check that it rotates freely. If it doesn't, there's probably somethink
stuck in it - or wound round it. You may be able to free it with tweezers.
If not, you'll need to get at it from the bottom (either raise the machine,
or tip it on its back or side) and do some dismantling.

If it rotates freely anyway, but still doesn't pump, check the electrical
connections to the pump. If these appear ok, remove the pump and connect it
directly to the mains. If it doesn't run, it's duff so you need to replace
it. If it *does* run, it sounds as if it isn't being powered by the machine
when it should be - in which case, you'll need further advice!
--
Cheers,
Set Square