Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laminate Flooring

Planning on putting laminate flooring in my basement recroom.
Wondering how difficult it is to do the stairs as well. Easy? Hard?
What's involved?
I'm a fairly handy guy and has good knowledge in that area.
Thanks.

--
Steve
http://jackpot.netwinner.com/?signupCode=vwprheak

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveC" wrote in message
Planning on putting laminate flooring in my basement recroom.
Wondering how difficult it is to do the stairs as well. Easy? Hard?
What's involved?
I'm a fairly handy guy and has good knowledge in that area.

Can be either. If you are buying a reputable brand of laminate, they make a
bull nose just for the stairs. If you are buying some cheap-o brand at the
dollar store, they probably don't have such a thing.

If you have stairs between two walls, it is easy to just put the laminate
between them, but an open stair takes a bit more work mitering the bull nose
to fit.

In any case, be sure you have a good carbide blade on the saw and a set of
knee pads for doing the floor. You can buy a cheap carbide and toss it when
done, or a good carbide and have it sharpened as good or better than new
when done.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveC" wrote in message
Planning on putting laminate flooring in my basement recroom.
Wondering how difficult it is to do the stairs as well. Easy? Hard?
What's involved?
I'm a fairly handy guy and has good knowledge in that area.

Not sure if you'd want to do the stairs. Laminate flooring is pretty
slippery stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:07:18 GMT, "SteveC"
wrote:

What's involved?

Sealing any cracks caused by settlement?

Proper material for the flooring you pick? Follow the instructions. If
this is glue down; all things are not equal.

I can appreciate wood on stairs. I found one house in our area done by
DIY and it really sounded hollow and "clacky" when we walked on it.

I'm a fairly handy guy and has good knowledge in that area.
Thanks.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
news

"SteveC" wrote in message
Planning on putting laminate flooring in my basement recroom.
Wondering how difficult it is to do the stairs as well. Easy? Hard?
What's involved?
I'm a fairly handy guy and has good knowledge in that area.

Can be either. If you are buying a reputable brand of laminate, they
make a bull nose just for the stairs. If you are buying some cheap-o
brand at the dollar store, they probably don't have such a thing.

If you have stairs between two walls, it is easy to just put the
laminate between them, but an open stair takes a bit more work
mitering the bull nose to fit.

In any case, be sure you have a good carbide blade on the saw and a
set of knee pads for doing the floor. You can buy a cheap carbide and
toss it when done, or a good carbide and have it sharpened as good or
better than new when done.

.........carbide blade

OP: Don't even bother trying to get away with non-carbide. It will be
blue smoking on 10 cuts. Laminate surface on one I used contained
aluminum oxide. Same stuff used in sandpaper for metal. Tears up non-
carbide blades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Noozer" wrote in message

"SteveC" wrote in message
Planning on putting laminate flooring in my basement recroom.
Wondering how difficult it is to do the stairs as well. Easy? Hard?
What's involved?
I'm a fairly handy guy and has good knowledge in that area.

Not sure if you'd want to do the stairs. Laminate flooring is pretty
slippery stuff.

No, good laminate is NOT slippery and perfectly safe. I've had it on my
steps for 10 years now and never a problem. Safer than the carpeting it
replaced. That did cause two falls, thankful no injury. That is why it is
gone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:30:27 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

"SteveC" wrote in message
Planning on putting laminate flooring in my basement recroom.
Wondering how difficult it is to do the stairs as well. Easy? Hard?
What's involved?
I'm a fairly handy guy and has good knowledge in that area.

Not sure if you'd want to do the stairs. Laminate flooring is pretty
slippery stuff.

Walking down in a pair of socks; will bust your butt.

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveC" wrote in message
Planning on putting laminate flooring in my basement recroom.
Wondering how difficult it is to do the stairs as well. Easy? Hard?
What's involved?
I'm a fairly handy guy and has good knowledge in that area.

Not sure if you'd want to do the stairs. Laminate flooring is pretty
slippery stuff.

Walking down in a pair of socks; will bust your butt.

--
Oren

I have laminate on my family room floor (actual basement) for
the past ten years. a sub floor is recommended, I did not require one
as I had a hardwood floor of squares already installed. The "KEY" to a
good job is when you start from your perfered side, you make sure your
first linear course is perfectly square. You can achieve this by
starting in a known square or squareable corner, lay the first course
in a test mode, leave at least 5/16 gap to wall on all sides. you may
also run a test course to the opposite wall to check if it will be
necessary to avoid a narrow cut course. There is a special blade
available for laminate flooring. Be sure to do all your cutting in a
location away from the room or the rest of the house as the dust is
pervaisive. It is best to use the interlocking type as gluing can
hamper any necessary replacements in the future. Be sure to keep at
least 4 to 6 full boards as possible repair units, because accidents
do happen.

Good luck and happy laying

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

Walking down in a pair of socks; will bust your butt.

I do that many times a day, every day. I never wear shoes in the house and
I'm up and down the stairs at least a half dozen times a day. If you do the
math, that is about 21,000 trips, 10,500 up, 10,500 down. I've yet to slip.
My wife does the same, but only takes the stairs once or twice a day, but
she has yet to trip. Oh, at least twice a day I'm carrying a tray and not
holding the rail. Then twice a day up with the tray.

If you are slipping, you need a better laminate or better cleaner or
something. I have Wilson Art.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 03:02:16 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message

Walking down in a pair of socks; will bust your butt.

I do that many times a day, every day. I never wear shoes in the house and
I'm up and down the stairs at least a half dozen times a day. If you do the
math, that is about 21,000 trips, 10,500 up, 10,500 down. I've yet to slip.
My wife does the same, but only takes the stairs once or twice a day, but
she has yet to trip. Oh, at least twice a day I'm carrying a tray and not
holding the rail. Then twice a day up with the tray.

If you are slipping, you need a better laminate or better cleaner or
something. I have Wilson Art.

I can appreciate any stair material. I've slipped in socks on carpet
stairs, also. I will (try) to never; ever, live in a house with
stairs again.

Sold the last one... We live in a single story now and have no stairs
and steps (grin).

Up and down the steps is what made me get rid of them \:-}
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
DT DT is offline

Walking down in a pair of socks; will bust your butt.

I do that many times a day, every day. I never wear shoes in the house and
I'm up and down the stairs at least a half dozen times a day. If you do the
math, that is about 21,000 trips, 10,500 up, 10,500 down.

Here's hoping it doesn't turn into 11,000 trips up, 10,999.5 trips down and one
bouncer :-)

--
Dennis

Laminate Flooring BN Home Repair 4 October 4th 05 11:46 PM
Laminate Flooring [email protected] UK diy 1 June 18th 05 03:32 PM
laminate flooring Kee Home Repair 2 June 5th 05 03:00 AM
Re Re Laminate Flooring srazor Woodworking 0 August 27th 04 06:57 AM
Laminate Flooring IMM UK diy 3 August 18th 04 10:16 PM