Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mr.kitty@rogers.com is offline

Default Laminate Flooring

On Apr 22, 10:06 pm, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 23:30:27 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

"SteveC" wrote in message
Planning on putting laminate flooring in my basement recroom.
Wondering how difficult it is to do the stairs as well. Easy? Hard?
What's involved?
I'm a fairly handy guy and has good knowledge in that area.

Not sure if you'd want to do the stairs. Laminate flooring is pretty
slippery stuff.

Walking down in a pair of socks; will bust your butt.

--
Oren

I have laminate on my family room floor (actual basement) for
the past ten years. a sub floor is recommended, I did not require one
as I had a hardwood floor of squares already installed. The "KEY" to a
good job is when you start from your perfered side, you make sure your
first linear course is perfectly square. You can achieve this by
starting in a known square or squareable corner, lay the first course
in a test mode, leave at least 5/16 gap to wall on all sides. you may
also run a test course to the opposite wall to check if it will be
necessary to avoid a narrow cut course. There is a special blade
available for laminate flooring. Be sure to do all your cutting in a
location away from the room or the rest of the house as the dust is
pervaisive. It is best to use the interlocking type as gluing can
hamper any necessary replacements in the future. Be sure to keep at
least 4 to 6 full boards as possible repair units, because accidents
do happen.

Good luck and happy laying

Jim