Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question on replacing rotted window sill

The exterior wood window sill on one window has rotted away over the years.
I have aluminum single-hung, single-pane windows and a masonite-like siding.
Is there a way to replace the 2"x6" sill and not have to remove the entire
window? All of the windows and siding will eventually be replaced but I need
to get a few more years out of them.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Rah" wrote in message
.. .
The exterior wood window sill on one window has rotted away over the

years.
I have aluminum single-hung, single-pane windows and a masonite-like

siding.
Is there a way to replace the 2"x6" sill and not have to remove the entire
window? All of the windows and siding will eventually be replaced but I

need
to get a few more years out of them.

I've replaced a few with pressure treated wood. If your's are like mine,
they are not really a structural part, that is they are not an integral part
of holding up the window. Not much nailing required and I sealed them with
caulk and painted.
Frank

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 21, 11:54 am, "Bill Rah" wrote:
The exterior wood window sill on one window has rotted away over the years.
I have aluminum single-hung, single-pane windows and a masonite-like siding.
Is there a way to replace the 2"x6" sill and not have to remove the entire
window? All of the windows and siding will eventually be replaced but I need
to get a few more years out of them.

If it's not totally gone, you could probably reconstruct/repair the
existing one as an alternative as well and get several years more to
get you to the full replacement time. I've used the "PC Woody" two-
part as well as the one part stabilizer successfully on the barn
restoration. If you buy the larger sizes rather than the tiny little
ones, it's not excessively expensive. An inexpensive alternative if
need to reconstruct an area is regular old Bondo, too.

Again, as another responder said, it's quite possible if you
investigate you'll be able to remove the sill relatively simply and if
so, that's probably best. But, if you're only looking for short-term
repair with major restoration on down the road anyway, the alternative
is worth consideration any way.

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"Bill Rah" wrote in message
.. .
The exterior wood window sill on one window has rotted away over the

years.
I have aluminum single-hung, single-pane windows and a masonite-like

siding.
Is there a way to replace the 2"x6" sill and not have to remove the entire
window? All of the windows and siding will eventually be replaced but I

need
to get a few more years out of them.

Thanks in advance.

Try looking at the link below. It provides "do it yourself" window stool
replacement
MLD

http://www.michaelholigan.com/Depart...p?ts%5Fid=5133

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Rah" wrote in message
.. .
The exterior wood window sill on one window has rotted away over the
years.
I have aluminum single-hung, single-pane windows and a masonite-like
siding.
Is there a way to replace the 2"x6" sill and not have to remove the entire
window? All of the windows and siding will eventually be replaced but I
need
to get a few more years out of them.

Thanks in advance.

I have replaced several over the recent years using a "composite sill".
Should never have to replace them again.

It is a fairly easy project for the average DIY person with some tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Have the window boys wrap it. Fix it when you do the big job.

--
Steve Barker

When you say "wrap it", do you mean painted aluminum? I have thought of that
and will do it if I think replacement is too much of an issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Bill Rah" wrote in message
.. .
The exterior wood window sill on one window has rotted away over the
years.
I have aluminum single-hung, single-pane windows and a masonite-like
siding.
Is there a way to replace the 2"x6" sill and not have to remove the

entire
window? All of the windows and siding will eventually be replaced but I
need
to get a few more years out of them.

Thanks in advance.

I have replaced several over the recent years using a "composite sill".
Should never have to replace them again.

It is a fairly easy project for the average DIY person with some tools.

I was thinking cedar or pressure treated. I hadn't considered composite.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate your comments and ideas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yes, aluminum sheeting is what they use for wrap on brick mold, sills,
soffits, etc. If you know someone with a small sheetmetal brake, that's
even better.

--
Steve Barker

"Bill Rah" wrote in message
t...

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Have the window boys wrap it. Fix it when you do the big job.

--
Steve Barker

When you say "wrap it", do you mean painted aluminum? I have thought of
that
and will do it if I think replacement is too much of an issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill Rah" wrote in message

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Bill Rah" wrote in message
.. .
The exterior wood window sill on one window has rotted away over the
years.
I have aluminum single-hung, single-pane windows and a masonite-like
siding.
Is there a way to replace the 2"x6" sill and not have to remove the

entire
window? All of the windows and siding will eventually be replaced but I
need
to get a few more years out of them.

Thanks in advance.

I have replaced several over the recent years using a "composite sill".
Should never have to replace them again.

It is a fairly easy project for the average DIY person with some tools.

I was thinking cedar or pressure treated. I hadn't considered composite.
Thanks.

I can't give you a brand name because I don't know it. The easiest one of
the two that I have used comes in 2 pieces with all angles precut. The
exterior lip that is normally such a pain to cut out is a separate piece.

You cut the "interior piece" to the width of the window frame, slide it into
place and secure it. Then the exterior portion is glued and nailed into
place. The whole thing is ramp cut to provide the proper slope to match the
old windows.

I also used another brand one time that was a duplicate of the old wood
sills. It is a bit harder to fit but also works well. Around here one
brand is sold at a mill shop and the other is sold at a brick yard that also
sells millwork. So I guess the best place to look for either is at a
millwork shop in your area.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Bill Rah" wrote in message

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Bill Rah" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Good information. Thanks a lot. Regards.