Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Question on replacing rotted window sill

On Apr 21, 11:54 am, "Bill Rah" wrote:
The exterior wood window sill on one window has rotted away over the years.
I have aluminum single-hung, single-pane windows and a masonite-like siding.
Is there a way to replace the 2"x6" sill and not have to remove the entire
window? All of the windows and siding will eventually be replaced but I need
to get a few more years out of them.

If it's not totally gone, you could probably reconstruct/repair the
existing one as an alternative as well and get several years more to
get you to the full replacement time. I've used the "PC Woody" two-
part as well as the one part stabilizer successfully on the barn
restoration. If you buy the larger sizes rather than the tiny little
ones, it's not excessively expensive. An inexpensive alternative if
need to reconstruct an area is regular old Bondo, too.

Again, as another responder said, it's quite possible if you
investigate you'll be able to remove the sill relatively simply and if
so, that's probably best. But, if you're only looking for short-term
repair with major restoration on down the road anyway, the alternative
is worth consideration any way.