Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Question on replacing rotted window sill

"Bill Rah" wrote in message

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Bill Rah" wrote in message
.. .
The exterior wood window sill on one window has rotted away over the
years.
I have aluminum single-hung, single-pane windows and a masonite-like
siding.
Is there a way to replace the 2"x6" sill and not have to remove the

entire
window? All of the windows and siding will eventually be replaced but I
need
to get a few more years out of them.

Thanks in advance.

I have replaced several over the recent years using a "composite sill".
Should never have to replace them again.

It is a fairly easy project for the average DIY person with some tools.

I was thinking cedar or pressure treated. I hadn't considered composite.
Thanks.

I can't give you a brand name because I don't know it. The easiest one of
the two that I have used comes in 2 pieces with all angles precut. The
exterior lip that is normally such a pain to cut out is a separate piece.

You cut the "interior piece" to the width of the window frame, slide it into
place and secure it. Then the exterior portion is glued and nailed into
place. The whole thing is ramp cut to provide the proper slope to match the
old windows.

I also used another brand one time that was a duplicate of the old wood
sills. It is a bit harder to fit but also works well. Around here one
brand is sold at a mill shop and the other is sold at a brick yard that also
sells millwork. So I guess the best place to look for either is at a
millwork shop in your area.

Colbyt