Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deck post question

"HotRdd" wrote in message
1) I've reclaimed some old and heavy 10" x 10" posts from a barn that I'm
hoping to use to give the deck some character, does anyone see any
problems using this structurally?

Nope, should be very strong

2) What type of sealer should I use to treat this old
lumber.Recommendations

I'd use some sort of oil like Penofin

3) I need to bury some posts this weekend and I'm not sure what the best
method is. Do you get a concrete tube and fill it full of concrete and
then put the post on top or do you encase the post in the concrete? WHY?

4) Should I stick with treated lumber for the posts?

You fill the hold with concrete and use a mounting braked for the post.
Structurally, the concrete and post will perform well and the bracket serves
two purposes. It keeps it lined up and more important, keep it from ground
contact and wicking up water to rot it away. Your 10 x 10's may have
character, but are more prone to rot than a pressure treated post.

If you are in the process of starting a deck, you can get a lot of
information on brackets and fasteners at www.mcfeelys.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 20, 11:12 pm, "HotRdd" wrote:
I'm about to start the replacement of an old deck and was wondering if you
guys can answer a few questions for me.

1) I've reclaimed some old and heavy 10" x 10" posts from a barn that I'm
hoping to use to give the deck some character, does anyone see any problems
using this structurally?

I see no problem here, should look very nice.

2) What type of sealer should I use to treat this old lumber.Recommendations

I am not familiar here with top brands

3) I need to bury some posts this weekend and I'm not sure what the best
method is. Do you get a concrete tube and fill it full of concrete and then
put the post on top or do you encase the post in the concrete? WHY?

A little insight.......if in frost zone is why (depth here also varies
upon the region you are in), and also will be more secure in the long
run ( post could work it way loose, become unstable and move, and also
may allow water etc to enter which may rot your post)....then your
screwed.
http://www.buildingspecs.com/articles_decks.asp
http://www.askthebuilder.com/DeckConstruction.shtml

4) Should I stick with treated lumber for the posts?

Your 10x10 posts should be very sturdy.........and maintaining them
regularly; there should be no problems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HotRdd" wrote in message
Great, this actually answers my questions. NOW what wood sealer do you
guys recommend?

rec.woodworking might be a good place to ask. There's so many different
woods, and so many sealers for so many purposes. I would imagine that
whatever you do, you should redo it every couple of years depending on
weather exposure.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to HotRdd :
I'm about to start the replacement of an old deck and was wondering if you
guys can answer a few questions for me.

1) I've reclaimed some old and heavy 10" x 10" posts from a barn that I'm
hoping to use to give the deck some character, does anyone see any problems
using this structurally?

Not structurally, no, but some posts (eg: hickory) will _not_ stand
up to weather very well, and given their age, they may go quite fast.
Now, if they're cedar, they'd should last a long time.

If you can identify what kind of wood they were, it might help.

2) What type of sealer should I use to treat this old lumber.Recommendations

Just about any, but, don't bury the posts.

3) I need to bury some posts this weekend and I'm not sure what the best
method is. Do you get a concrete tube and fill it full of concrete and then
put the post on top or do you encase the post in the concrete? WHY?

You can do it many different ways. The main things to remember:

1) If the end of the post is underground, make sure the last
few inches are in gravel, _not_ concrete. Eg: dig hole, add
a few inches of gravel, drop in post, add an inch or two more
of gravel, _then_ fill with concrete.

2) If you're using an auger to drill the holes, and the posts
ends are underground, you really don't need sonotube underground.
You only need a bit of forming to keep the top of the concrete
slightly above ground level, sloping away from the post.

3) If the posts are going to rest on top of the concrete, cast-in
proper saddle brackets (above dirt level), and the deck needs
to be supported from the side so that it doesn't sway.

4) Should I stick with treated lumber for the posts?

I probably would, without being a bit more sure of the weather
resistance of the barn posts. If you have to bury the posts,
_don't_ use the old barn posts unless they're ceder.
--
Chris Lewis,