Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rusted Standoff Post Base On Deck; Replace???

The deck off the rear of my house is supported by three post that sit
on cement blocks with standoff post bases. The middle post's base has
completely rusted out. I was hoping to replace just the post base but
even the anchor bolt that attaches the base to the cement has rusted.

I was planning on supporting the deck with a bottle jack and
temporary post while I remove the middle post and base but the rusted
anchor bolt has me wondering what to do to securely anchor a new post
base. Can I saw off the anchor so that it is flush with the concrete
block and somehow drill it out to put in a new anchor? As an
alternative, could I drill 4 holes in the cementaround the old anchor
for lag shield type cement anchors to hold a new post base in place?
I really don't want to break up and remove the old cement and replace
with new cement and anchor. Am I approaching this the right way? Any
suggestions on what to do would be appreciated.

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

How about some pictures of installation?

Without seeing it, here's my best guess......I'd saw off the anchor &
replace it with a Simpson EPB-44

(I assume the post is a 4x4, if it's a 6x6 use an EPB-66)

Use an EPB-44 NOT an EPB-44A

You can core drill out the anchor bolt, rent or borrow a rotory hammer
tha uses a core style bit. Set the EPB-44 with epoxy or something like
PourStone

Slide the new post in & attach the new post at the top,,,,,, lower the
deck & you're done

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Re-think. The purpose of the anchor is to prevent lateral -- side-to-side --
movement; the anchor has nothing to do with the goal of holding up the load.

Not true! The anchors main purpose is to resist uplift loads,
which can be substantial in high wind areas and with certain
building situations. It does not hold up the load, it keeps
it down. The lateral movement restriction is sort of icing on
the cake.

Clean the existing bolt, paint it with Rustoleum. It's (probably) still
strong enough to prevent sideways movement, especially with a couple of tons
of weight pressing down.

If you can get the old bolt out, you can epoxy a new one in
its place. The two part epoxy anchoring systems are quite
strong. If you cannot remove the old anchor, then you can
drill and install a new one to the side of the old one.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Hey Bub-

Take a look at the typical post base on the Simpson website.

For example the EPB's list loads for two sideways directions, an uplift
load & a dowward load......they all have different rated loads
different.

If by lateral movement you mean movement of the bottom of the post, you
are correct, these are two of the directions that the post base
supplies restraint.

If by lateral you mean moment resistance of the post....you are
incorrect. The post base creates a "pinned" connection NOT a fixed end
(flag pole) connection

per SImpson

Post bases do not provide adequate resistance to prevent members from
rotating about the base and therefore are not recommended for non
top-supported installations (such as fences or unbraced carports).

cheers
Bob

How to Re-paint a Deck With Semi-Transparent Stain? [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 17th 06 07:46 PM
Centering router on table base Oleg Lego Woodworking 49 January 15th 06 03:36 AM
easy money Onemoredrunk Home Ownership 0 October 11th 04 01:00 AM
Results: renewing fence post for third time Peter Bull UK diy 3 January 23rd 04 02:06 PM
penance for posting OT mel Woodworking 4 January 18th 04 03:27 AM