Posted to alt.home.repair
PVR PVR is offline

Default Inserts.

I have some standard electrical outlets where the cover plate stands proud
of the wall by 1/8"-1/4". The easiest way to correct this would be by use of
an insert between the wall and the cover plate.

Does anyone know if these inserts are available and where?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PVR PVR is offline

My cover plates stand away from the wall by about 1/8" to 1/4". I guess I
don't see how a larger plate would solve the problem. Perhaps I am missing
something?

Peter.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
You can get larger cover plates to compensate for that

"PVR" wrote in message
news
I have some standard electrical outlets where the cover plate stands proud
of the wall by 1/8"-1/4". The easiest way to correct this would be by use
of an insert between the wall and the cover plate.

Does anyone know if these inserts are available and where?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

At the moment all I can think of is getting wooden
covers.........carving out the backside of it until its flush with the
wall.............what ya think? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Would something like this work even?
http://www.wallplatewarehouse.com/9pp101.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

"PVR" wrote in message
My cover plates stand away from the wall by about 1/8" to 1/4". I guess I
don't see how a larger plate would solve the problem. Perhaps I am missing
something?

I seem to recall that Mulberry makes some deeper wall plates for situations
where the electrical box is protruding past the wall a little. Their web
site doesn't show them though. Go to an electrical supply company and ask
to see their wall plate catalog. Most likely they won't be a stock item.

Are your electrical boxes protruding out past the wall to cause this or are
your outlets just loose. If the outlets are loose, tightening them will
help the problem.

Peter.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
You can get larger cover plates to compensate for that

"PVR" wrote in message
news
I have some standard electrical outlets where the cover plate stands

proud
of the wall by 1/8"-1/4". The easiest way to correct this would be by

use
of an insert between the wall and the cover plate.

Does anyone know if these inserts are available and where?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are your electrical boxes protruding out past the wall to cause this or are
your outlets just loose.

Very good question, which is not stated above. If it is not your
electrical box that is sticking out and the above doesnt solve
it.....is it possible for you to bend the outlet tabs slightly so the
outlet itself sits deeper in the electrical box?

Posted to alt.home.repair

PVR wrote:
I have some standard electrical outlets where the cover plate stands
proud of the wall by 1/8"-1/4". The easiest way to correct this would
be by use of an insert between the wall and the cover plate.

Does anyone know if these inserts are available and where?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Any reason you can't make your own from a bit of wood and a saw?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
PVR wrote:
I have some standard electrical outlets where the cover plate stands
proud of the wall by 1/8"-1/4". The easiest way to correct this would
be by use of an insert between the wall and the cover plate.

Does anyone know if these inserts are available and where?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Any reason you can't make your own from a bit of wood and a saw?

Yes, wood is a combustible material. Although it is used as wall plate
material, it cannot be used as an extension box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:58:20 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
PVR wrote:
I have some standard electrical outlets where the cover plate stands
proud of the wall by 1/8"-1/4". The easiest way to correct this would
be by use of an insert between the wall and the cover plate.

Does anyone know if these inserts are available and where?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Any reason you can't make your own from a bit of wood and a saw?

Yes, wood is a combustible material. Although it is used as wall plate
material, it cannot be used as an extension box.

This use isn't a box extension, though. THe problem is that
the box sticks too far out, not insufficiently far out. So it's
just a case of a wooden faceplate with an integrel return to make it
reach the wall surface AROUND the box.

Fixing the box is still a better idea, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PVR PVR is offline

No practical reason. I just don't want to do that. I would prefer to buy
them so saving time for other constructions.

Peter.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
PVR wrote:
I have some standard electrical outlets where the cover plate stands
proud of the wall by 1/8"-1/4". The easiest way to correct this would
be by use of an insert between the wall and the cover plate.

Does anyone know if these inserts are available and where?

Many thanks,

Peter.

Any reason you can't make your own from a bit of wood and a saw?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 06:55:06 -0400, "PVR"
wrote:

I have some standard electrical outlets where the cover plate stands proud
of the wall by 1/8"-1/4". The easiest way to correct this would be by use of
an insert between the wall and the cover plate.

Does anyone know if these inserts are available and where?

Many thanks,

Peter.

I would just get some foam rubber insulating things that are maant to
go behind the wall plate to keep the cold air in the wall from getting
into the room.

I have a lightswitch, Decora style I think it is, with the big wide
rocker, at the head of my bed where I WANT the plate to stick out an
extra 1/8", so that when I put a pillow against the switch, I won't
turn it on or off. With just one of these insulating things, the
plate is far enough out that the switch toggle is protected.

They come precut for outlets. Or you could make them.
Junior Member

Peter - did you ever get a solution to this? We're having the same issue and I can swear I've seen some box-like outlet covers before (if nothing else). We're pushing it to get the room done, let alone make custom outlet covers

Inserts / chipbreakers etc Roy Metalworking 0 January 25th 06 06:43 PM
Carbide Inserts [email protected] Metalworking 2 November 21st 05 04:33 AM
clock inserts? speedbuggy Woodworking 1 November 10th 05 01:54 AM
Are there blank inserts WITH HOLES for the modular inserts? miamicuse Home Repair 3 October 3rd 05 06:18 PM
More specifically, inserts.... Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 0 September 1st 05 06:41 PM