Posted to alt.home.repair

Default curiosity about septic and cesspool systems

My wife and I are planning the build of a rural home in Hawaii next
year. And forgive a city boy for asking, but when a house is using a
cesspool system instead of city sewer, does the laundry, bath and
other grey water also go into the cesspool, or is there some other
treatment process for that type of wastewater.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You'll need to check with your local building dept. In my area in NY we use
separate fields for gray water

wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife and I are planning the build of a rural home in Hawaii next
year. And forgive a city boy for asking, but when a house is using a
cesspool system instead of city sewer, does the laundry, bath and
other grey water also go into the cesspool, or is there some other
treatment process for that type of wastewater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife and I are planning the build of a rural home in Hawaii next
year. And forgive a city boy for asking, but when a house is using a
cesspool system instead of city sewer, does the laundry, bath and
other grey water also go into the cesspool, or is there some other
treatment process for that type of wastewater.

Depends on the system - mine all goes to the same place. I suspect the
percolation of the ground has a lot to do with how it is treated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 6:46 pm, wrote:
My wife and I are planning the build of a rural home in Hawaii next
year. And forgive a city boy for asking, but when a house is using a
cesspool system instead of city sewer, does the laundry, bath and
other grey water also go into the cesspool, or is there some other
treatment process for that type of wastewater.

It is possible to do it both ways. If you divert greywater you may be
able to get by with a smaller septic. I'm guessing that Hawaii has
very specific requirements which are strictly enforced.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 9:12 pm, Lawrence wrote:
On Apr 18, 6:46 pm, wrote:

My wife and I are planning the build of a rural home in Hawaii next
year. And forgive a city boy for asking, but when a house is using a
cesspool system instead of city sewer, does the laundry, bath and
other grey water also go into the cesspool, or is there some other
treatment process for that type of wastewater.

It is possible to do it both ways. If you divert greywater you may be
able to get by with a smaller septic. I'm guessing that Hawaii has
very specific requirements which are strictly enforced.

Pele provided the ground for Your house,She might like it if You use
environmentally friendly soaps/cleaning solutions.:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean" wrote in message
oups.com...

Pele provided the ground for Your house,She might like it if You use
environmentally friendly soaps/cleaning solutions.:-)

is that the soccer player?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 9:50 am, "Apu Inmypants" wrote:
"Dean" wrote in message

oups.com...

Pele provided the ground for Your house,She might like it if You use
environmentally friendly soaps/cleaning solutions.:-)

is that the soccer player?

Lol,,no,but if the Goddess of Fire ever decided to join a game it
would be a hot one! I believe native Hawiians take Pele and the land
seriously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 19, 11:56 am, Goedjn wrote:
On 18 Apr 2007 16:46:47 -0700, wrote:

My wife and I are planning the build of a rural home in Hawaii next
year. And forgive a city boy for asking, but when a house is using a
cesspool system instead of city sewer, does the laundry, bath and
other grey water also go into the cesspool, or is there some other
treatment process for that type of wastewater.

Technical nit: A cesspit is one particular kind of individual
septic disposal system. Specifically, it's a big,
pourous pit that the sewege goes into, from which the sewage
percolates directly into the ground, or sits there until
someone comes and pumps it out. I doubt that you'll
be putting in a cess-pit.

Bingo, provided he's talking about a new system, where cesspools
surely won't be allowed in HI. If it's an older house
the only way of knowing what goes where is to trace the various
sources.

More likely, you'll end up putting in a septic TANK and leachfield,
possibly with a grease-trap. In that case, whether you can get
away with dumping laundry water into the same system as the
rest of your sewage depends on whether you design the system to
handle that much water. Are you going to be on a well,
a water catchment, or a municiple water supply?