Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screwing down subfloor

Hello, I am screwing down some plywood before I begin a tile job. I am
uinable to locate the floor joists, as the basement ceiling has been
drywalled covering the joists. How am i to screw the sub floor down into the
joists if I can't locate them. Is it imperative that I screw into the
subfloor?
regards
Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve W. wrote:
Hello, I am screwing down some plywood before I begin a tile job. I am
uinable to locate the floor joists, as the basement ceiling has been
drywalled covering the joists. How am i to screw the sub floor down
into the joists if I can't locate them. Is it imperative that I screw
into the subfloor?
regards
Steve

It does depend, but I would want it screwed down tight. As I replace
carpet and tile I am fixing those squeaks.

Try a good stud finder. It will find them for you.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 5:26 pm, "Steve W." sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote:
Hello, I am screwing down some plywood before I begin a tile job. I am
uinable to locate the floor joists, as the basement ceiling has been
drywalled covering the joists. How am i to screw the sub floor down into the
joists if I can't locate them. Is it imperative that I screw into the
subfloor?
regards
Steve

I think what you mean to ask is "is it imperative that I hit the
joists?" the answer to that is NO
If you are putting down plywood for tile I'm assuming it is on the
floor and not the ceiling. I am also assuming that this is not a NEW
sub floor otherwise the joist would be exposed. So that tells me you
have a wood floor that you are putting plywood over to do tile on.
first of all why plywood and not something like hardibacker? second if
you have a sub floor weither you use plywood or hardi you should put
coated screws in 12" on center and closer on the joints.
http://palmisanoconcrete.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

The house is 55 years old.
I used construction grade plywood because I'm going over top of the original
sub floor and it was
reccomended to me.
Approximately how many screws should I use on 135 sq ft of sub floor?
thanks

"Italian Mason" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Apr 17, 9:07 pm, Italian Mason wrote:
[...]

Procedure for screwing them down? In other words, do holes need to be
predrilled & countersunk to prevent that "bump" from forming as you
drive a countersink screw into a non-countersunk hole? Or do you sand
the 100's of bumps? OP didn't specify what type tile he is setting,
but if CVT it will show every irregularity in the plywood,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:26:47 -0400, "Steve W." sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com
wrote:

Hello, I am screwing down some plywood before I begin a tile job. I am
uinable to locate the floor joists, as the basement ceiling has been
drywalled covering the joists. How am i to screw the sub floor down into the
joists if I can't locate them. Is it imperative that I screw into the
subfloor?
regards
Steve

Are there current nails that you can follow?

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

On Apr 17, 9:23 pm, "Steve W." sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote:
[...]

IM is right...you dont' have to hit the existing joist, and keep a
1/8" (or nail width) space around the perimeter

You don't mention it...but don't forget to put a uncoupling layer in
between the sub floor and the tile, Schluter's Ditra, cement board,
hardi backer bedded in thinset.

Check out the forums over at http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/index.php...there's
a boat load of information on tiling, prep and the like, and it seems
like a pretty friendly place to as tiling questions.

Screwing and pilot holes Fuoleum UK diy 12 April 30th 20 09:24 PM
Screwing in drywall Eigenvector Home Repair 14 January 24th 07 02:06 AM
Screwing MDF david lang UK diy 23 September 20th 05 02:53 PM
HELP! The EX took everything but my SONY TV and now it's screwing me too! [email protected] Electronics Repair 20 June 1st 05 12:37 PM
HELP! My EX took everything but my TV and now it's screwing me too!!! [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 May 29th 05 05:55 AM