Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screwing in drywall

I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put up
insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put
up insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike
drywall screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once
that joint compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to
remove using a screwdriver.

And how do you get the nail out when the mud goes on?

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair

And how do you get the nail out when the mud goes on?

Rich

Most of them fall out on their own long before you get to the job, some
push halfway out, easy to spot, so the few that are left don't put up
resistance. I say screw it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Rich" wrote in message
ng.com...
Eigenvector wrote:
I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put
up insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike
drywall screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once
that joint compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to
remove using a screwdriver.

And how do you get the nail out when the mud goes on?

Rich

With a hammer???

If you're trying to say that pulling out the screws with a claw hammer is
how to do it. Yikes, unlike a nail a screw would really rip the wood apart
on the way out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put up
insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

The screws come out just as easily as the nails. Once you press your
screwgun tip against the head of the screw enough of the dried JC will
pop out to unscrew them. Sure, you'll have to snap a few off but the
same will happen with the nails. Get ACR bits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote:
I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put up
insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

I've wasted far more of my life fixing nail pops in drywall than trying to
unscrew drywall screws. I'll take the screws.

If you demolish the wall right, there won't be much of anything left hanging off
of the screws, anyhow -- if the holes are still full of mud, just lop 'em off
with the sawsall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andy Hill" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote:
I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put up
insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

I've wasted far more of my life fixing nail pops in drywall than trying to
unscrew drywall screws. I'll take the screws.

If you demolish the wall right, there won't be much of anything left

hanging off
of the screws, anyhow -- if the holes are still full of mud, just lop 'em

off
with the sawsall

You can probably just break them off - they're pretty brittle.

Bob
..

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Eigenvector wrote:
I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put up
insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

That's why I never put up drywall in my garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

z wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

That's why I never put up drywall in my garage.

Do you plan on regularly taking down the wall covering in the garage?

The garage in my new house was drywalled but not taped/mudded/painted.
I took down the drywall to redo the electrical, but now I'm planning on
putting it back up and finishing it properly. I don't anticipate
opening up the walls again after this point, so I don't really see any
point in not finishing them properly.

I should note that I'm up in Canada, and winters get very cold here, so
the walls need to be insulated and vapour-barriered anyway.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:17:19 -0800, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put up
insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

When I install something, I try to make the installation permenant.
Why are you installing temp drywall?

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put up
insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

When I install something, I try to make the installation permenant.
Why are you installing temp drywall?

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info

I'm not, but are you trying to say that in 50 years you don't see yourself
renovating your house?

I in fact do see myself renovating my house, and at some point that will be
removing drywall. Imagine how much harder renovations would be if the
previous owner in your house had used screws rather than nails.

I'm not trying to advocate using only nails in drywall, in fact I prefer
screws because they're easier to insert and much more secure. They're just
a pain in the ass to remove.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put up
insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

Right. You get the added bonus that there's a good chance the nails
will pop, making nails even easier to remove than screws which remain
hidden.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put up
insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

you gotta be kidding? to remove them you rip out the drywall and then hit
the screw one time with a hammer and the screw breaks off flush with the
stud. If it's not flush hit it one more time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

this thread is far less interesting than its title.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Screwing in drywall Another no vector question

Eigenvector posted for all of us...

I was thinking about this as I prepare to rip the drywall down to put up
insulation in my garage.

One of the nice advantages of using drywall nails is that unlike drywall
screws - you can easily remove them when you need to. Once that joint
compound goes up, the screw will be almost impossible to remove using a
screwdriver.

Did a lot of research again there huh no vector?
--
Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.

Screwing and pilot holes Fuoleum UK diy 12 April 30th 20 09:24 PM
Faucet screwing problem John Home Repair 6 August 12th 06 10:10 PM
Screwing MDF david lang UK diy 23 September 20th 05 02:53 PM
HELP! The EX took everything but my SONY TV and now it's screwing me too! [email protected] Electronics Repair 20 June 1st 05 12:37 PM
HELP! My EX took everything but my TV and now it's screwing me too!!! [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 May 29th 05 05:55 AM