Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve W. Steve W. is offline

Default Screwing down subfloor

The house is 55 years old.
I used construction grade plywood because I'm going over top of the original
sub floor and it was
reccomended to me.
Approximately how many screws should I use on 135 sq ft of sub floor?
thanks

"Italian Mason" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 17, 5:26 pm, "Steve W." sjwNOSPAMatripnet.com wrote:
Hello, I am screwing down some plywood before I begin a tile job. I am
uinable to locate the floor joists, as the basement ceiling has been
drywalled covering the joists. How am i to screw the sub floor down into
the
joists if I can't locate them. Is it imperative that I screw into the
subfloor?
regards
Steve

I think what you mean to ask is "is it imperative that I hit the
joists?" the answer to that is NO
If you are putting down plywood for tile I'm assuming it is on the
floor and not the ceiling. I am also assuming that this is not a NEW
sub floor otherwise the joist would be exposed. So that tells me you
have a wood floor that you are putting plywood over to do tile on.
first of all why plywood and not something like hardibacker? second if
you have a sub floor weither you use plywood or hardi you should put
coated screws in 12" on center and closer on the joints.
http://palmisanoconcrete.com