Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why 6 and 12 point sockets?

I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 1:16 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

I believe (I could be wrong, I dont remember the exact explanation I
got) that 6 point gives you more contact area, but 12 point allows you
to use "lock on" to a bolt quicker (i.e. 360 degree circle / 12 points
= 1 point at every 30 degrees, faster "hookup" onto the head than 360
degree / 6 point or 1 point at every 60 degrees).

-Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 17, 12:16 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

6-pt are, indeed better for really stout needs as there is more
surface area so lest likely to round over a head or break or strip the
socket if need really high torque. 12-pt is slightly more convenient
in use as they line up at twice the locations of 6-pt.

Neither will fit square head except by happenstance -- need 4- or 8-pt
for that. Which, btw, are getting extremely difficult to find any
longer..

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On Apr 17, 12:16 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

6-pt are, indeed better for really stout needs as there is more
surface area so lest likely to round over a head or break or strip the
socket if need really high torque. 12-pt is slightly more convenient
in use as they line up at twice the locations of 6-pt.

Neither will fit square head except by happenstance -- need 4- or 8-pt
for that. Which, btw, are getting extremely difficult to find any
longer..

You're not looking. I just bought a brand new set of Craftsman 8
points off eBay.

You don't find impact wrench sockets in 12 point, its a strength
issue. 12 points are convenient for getting on the head and getting
them snug. You want torque? Use a six point.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 17, 12:58 pm, Grandpa wrote:
dpb wrote:
On Apr 17, 12:16 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

6-pt are, indeed better for really stout needs as there is more
surface area so lest likely to round over a head or break or strip the
socket if need really high torque. 12-pt is slightly more convenient
in use as they line up at twice the locations of 6-pt.

Neither will fit square head except by happenstance -- need 4- or 8-pt
for that. Which, btw, are getting extremely difficult to find any
longer..

You're not looking. I just bought a brand new set of Craftsman 8
points off eBay.

I was speaking of new -- last I looked, Sears is no longer selling
them. Was in need of a replacement and nobody in town had any in
stock any longer whereas years ago they were quite common in farm
supply places. That's difficult enough in my book although
"extremely" may be a stretch...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 17, 1:16 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

The other posters have got it right. The choice ( 6 points or 12) is a
trade off between required torque and easier access in tight spots.
Joe G

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

Square heads are eight or four point

Six point sockets don't slip as easily as 12, and there are 12 point bolts.
Mostly you use 12 point sockets on regular hex bolts and nuts with no
problems. Some 12 point sockets like Utica Loc-Rite's and others use rounded
points to make them harder to slip.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
On Apr 17, 12:58 pm, Grandpa wrote:

[...]
You're not looking. I just bought a brand new set of Craftsman 8
points off eBay.

I was speaking of new -- last I looked, Sears is no longer selling
them. Was in need of a replacement and nobody in town had any in
stock any longer whereas years ago they were quite common in farm
supply places. That's difficult enough in my book although
"extremely" may be a stretch...

You think that's bad, try looking for square bolts or nuts that
those fit! Only us antiques remember and use the square stuff.
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 17, 1:33 pm, Grandpa wrote:
dpb wrote:
On Apr 17, 12:58 pm, Grandpa wrote:

[...]
You're not looking. I just bought a brand new set of Craftsman 8
points off eBay.

I was speaking of new -- last I looked, Sears is no longer selling
them. Was in need of a replacement and nobody in town had any in
stock any longer whereas years ago they were quite common in farm
supply places. That's difficult enough in my book although
"extremely" may be a stretch...

You think that's bad, try looking for square bolts or nuts that
those fit! Only us antiques remember and use the square stuff.

Actually, square head bolts/nuts are in stock still at the local
farmers' co-op and supply stores. Not quite the full spectrum as used
to be, but the common implement sizes are still carried in bulk. Just
tough to get the sockets any more -- I guess 'cause except for the
occasional breakage or loss of one, all we old fogies have everything
so there's not enough to keep them.

You got me looking though, and there is one small-size set on eBay
now...I may put in a low-ball bid and if it holds, would be a backup
in the drawer...

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to dpb :
On Apr 17, 12:16 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

6-pt are, indeed better for really stout needs as there is more
surface area so lest likely to round over a head or break or strip the
socket if need really high torque. 12-pt is slightly more convenient
in use as they line up at twice the locations of 6-pt.

Neither will fit square head except by happenstance -- need 4- or 8-pt
for that. Which, btw, are getting extremely difficult to find any
longer..

Last I looked, socket sets often had a couple 8 point sockets included.
1/4"&3/8" cheapo combo sets usually have three 8 pointers.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:33:26 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

dpb wrote:
On Apr 17, 12:58 pm, Grandpa wrote:

[...]
You're not looking. I just bought a brand new set of Craftsman 8
points off eBay.

I was speaking of new -- last I looked, Sears is no longer selling
them. Was in need of a replacement and nobody in town had any in
stock any longer whereas years ago they were quite common in farm
supply places. That's difficult enough in my book although
"extremely" may be a stretch...

You think that's bad, try looking for square bolts or nuts that
those fit! Only us antiques remember and use the square stuff.

I tried to get square head to fix up my next-door neighbor's fence
gate, to match the one that wasn't missing. Of course I didn't thy
that hard because he is only my neighbor. I think the one size
might come included with a fence latch, but if mine loosen, unlike my
neighbor, I'll save them before they fall out, so I won't be buying
any more.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Apr 17, 3:09 pm, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to dpb :

On Apr 17, 12:16 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?
I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

6-pt are, indeed better for really stout needs as there is more
surface area so lest likely to round over a head or break or strip the
socket if need really high torque. 12-pt is slightly more convenient
in use as they line up at twice the locations of 6-pt.

Neither will fit square head except by happenstance -- need 4- or 8-pt
for that. Which, btw, are getting extremely difficult to find any
longer..

Last I looked, socket sets often had a couple 8 point sockets included.
1/4"&3/8" cheapo combo sets usually have three 8 pointers.

You must look somewhere different than I ... I don't recall ever
seeing a 4/8-pt socket in a 6/12-pt set. I have, for the most part,
granddad's 1/2" drive set of uncertain but at least 60 yrs of age.
Hired hand lost 9/16" while we were re-hanging the barn door rails
(hung w/ square-head lags) a couple of years ago. Near a firing
offense! I suspect I'll eventually find it somewhere, but if it
was dropped outside as I suspect, it'll be in bad shape when/if I do.
Hopefully he laid it down somewhere and I'll stumble on it some day
totally unexpected...anyway, it was needing replacement for it and
really needing it "now" was when I discovered they were now officially
made of unobtainium locally. I ordered a few from the Craftsman web
site and at the time there was an incomplete selection as they were
closing them out. I'd been kicking myself of random occasions since
for not having gotten a spare of what they did have...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...

Neither will fit square head except by happenstance -- need 4- or 8-pt
for that. Which, btw, are getting extremely difficult to find any
longer..

P/N 5609A88
3/8" Square Drive Premium Socket Set 7 Pcs, 8-Point Standard, Clip Rail,
Chrome Finish
In stock at $40.11 per Set

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 17 Apr 2007 14:40:47 -0700, dpb wrote:

You must look somewhere different than I ... I don't recall ever
seeing a 4/8-pt socket in a 6/12-pt set. I have, for the most part,
granddad's 1/2" drive set of uncertain but at least 60 yrs of age.
Hired hand lost 9/16" while we were re-hanging the barn door rails
(hung w/ square-head lags) a couple of years ago. Near a firing
offense! I suspect I'll eventually find it somewhere, but if it
was dropped outside as I suspect, it'll be in bad shape when/if I do.

A wire wheel on a bench grinder will clean it right up. I would try
not to let the wire touch my flesh, but I've failed at that a couple
times, and it didn't even do any damage to me.

You can get a little bit into the socket with the wire wheel, but I
they sell special brushes for drills that will do the inside if you
need it. (I haven't gottten to that point yet.)

Despite a jocular post in another thread, I haven't had anything
ripped out of my hands, but maybe I'm careful enough.

BTW, I'm only posting this because I do expect you to find it. It
might take a few years, but still. (Metal detector?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why 6 and 12 point sockets? Toller + no research

Toller wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

I see Google is still broken or is it you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
. ..
Toller wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

I see Google is still broken or is it you?

Many People like one on one opinions not collections of gibberish from
places like Google.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The 6 point are for people with a lower IQ than the 12. lol

Seriously, 6 point ones hold better, but you have to rotate them more
to get them on, and in tight spots the 12s work better. A 6 is much
less likely to strip the head on a bolt too. Those are the reasons I
know, there may be others too. I like having both.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:16:27 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sears (craftsman) still carry a full array of 8 pt sockets.

--
Steve Barker

"dpb" wrote in message
ups.com...
Neither will fit square head except by happenstance -- need 4- or 8-pt
for that. Which, btw, are getting extremely difficult to find any
longer..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's most of the whole line of 8pt sockets.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/searc...keyword =8+pt.

--
Steve Barker

oups.com...
dpb wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:16:27 GMT, Toller wrote:

I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

Six point sockets are often used on chrome plated bolts, such as those used
on motorcycles, because they cause less damage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 01:05:56 GMT, Gary wrote:

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
Toller wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

I see Google is still broken or is it you?

Many People like one on one opinions not collections of gibberish from
places like Google.

Most people have enough reading skills to be able to tell the difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was speaking of new -- last I looked, Sears is no longer selling
them. Was in need of a replacement and nobody in town had any in
stock any longer whereas years ago they were quite common in farm
supply places. That's difficult enough in my book although
"extremely" may be a stretch...

Ok so pay a visit to a Farm Supply dealer ..OR any good Auto Store...

Bob G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
. ..
Toller wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

There are 12 point bolts. Ford has used them as head bolts and for some
other applications for example. If you run into one and have only 6 point
sockets you will be out of luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DB DB is offline

"Gary" wrote in message
. net...

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
. ..
Toller wrote:
I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?

I see Google is still broken or is it you?

Many People like one on one opinions not collections of gibberish from
places like Google.

If they can't tell giberish from good information on google they won't be
able to do it one on one either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Such is life. Of course you will find it, in near perfect condition.
just 3 days after you find a replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:

On Apr 17, 1:33 pm, Grandpa wrote:

-snip-
You think that's bad, try looking for square bolts or nuts that
those fit! Only us antiques remember and use the square stuff.

Actually, square head bolts/nuts are in stock still at the local

Note that grandpa said "square bolts" not square head.

Jim
[I like the square bolts as they're easier to chase threads on with a
3cornered file.]

see four-point sockets [email protected] Metalworking 46 January 7th 06 06:39 AM
Ceiling sockets antgel UK diy 11 May 8th 05 11:51 PM
ic sockets BigTom Electronics Repair 1 November 18th 04 07:36 AM
Sockets near a sink KD UK diy 13 August 27th 04 10:20 PM