Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] businessman@nomail.com is offline

Default Why 6 and 12 point sockets?

The 6 point are for people with a lower IQ than the 12. lol

Seriously, 6 point ones hold better, but you have to rotate them more
to get them on, and in tight spots the 12s work better. A 6 is much
less likely to strip the head on a bolt too. Those are the reasons I
know, there may be others too. I like having both.

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:16:27 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I just bought a used set of socket wrenchs. It has both 6 and 12 point
sockets. Why?

I am guessing that 6 is stronger and 12 can be used on square heads, but
neither of those seem to justify having both. Is there a better reason?