Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Clearing vegetation on gravel driveway - anything more permanent than roundup?

Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

dean wrote:
Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

There are soil sterilants available, usually near the round-up type
products. They have a one year effectiveness.

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 2:52 am, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
dean wrote:
Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

There are soil sterilants available, usually near the round-up type
products. They have a one year effectiveness.

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Davewww.davebbq.com

Dave - ok thanks! I didn't know that.

Do they tend to leak across very far?

Posted to alt.home.repair
DAC DAC is offline

dean wrote:
Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

There are soil sterilants available, usually near the round-up type
products. They have a one year effectiveness.

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Davewww.davebbq.com

Dave - ok thanks! I didn't know that.

Do they tend to leak across very far?

There's a product called Preen http://www.preen.com/newpreen/
index.jsp that works well. It works by not allowing weeds to
germinate...existing lawn or plants from sets will not be
affected...only those trying to germinate from seed.

Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Apr 12, 11:47 pm, "dean" wrote:
Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

Agent Orange. Kept a neighbor's yard bare for 5 years. But then he
got a might sickly shortly thereafter.

The point being that there are strong products available but many come
with potential risks.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 8:49�am, "Red" wrote:
On Apr 12, 11:47 pm, "dean" wrote:

Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

Agent Orange. *Kept a neighbor's yard bare for 5 years. *But then he
got a might sickly shortly thereafter.

The point being that there are strong products available but many come
with potential risks.

Red

Rock salt! Its cheap and kills everything, doesnt tend to migrate

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Apr 2007 23:47:25 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

Table salt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"deke" wrote in message
On 12 Apr 2007 23:47:25 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

Table salt.

Yeah, there was a reason that people would salt the fields of their enemies
in years gone by
course, if you have any kind of slope on the driveway, every rainstorm
will wash some of that salt further down the line where it will kill
whatever else it lands on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Used motor oil or diesel fuel will last a good long while.

--
Steve Barker

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 1:47 am, "dean" wrote:
Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

Yikes!! Do the weeds bother you that much that you have to poison the
ground so often?? I just mow my weeds when they bother me. Do you
have a mower?

Driveways these days are often built with road building fabric. It's
like beefed up landscape fabric and seems to totally emlimate the weed
problem. Give it a try if you can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could try paving the driveway. If it's done right (with rebar and
expansion joints, etc) and doesnt' crack much, then that should keep
the weeds out for a long time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 10:38 am, "Lawrence" wrote:
On Apr 13, 1:47 am, "dean" wrote:

Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

Yikes!! Do the weeds bother you that much that you have to poison the
ground so often?? I just mow my weeds when they bother me. Do you
have a mower?

Driveways these days are often built with road building fabric. It's
like beefed up landscape fabric and seems to totally emlimate the weed
problem. Give it a try if you can.

There are products available at the home centers, garden center, etc,
that last up
to a year. Triox is one. You need to keep it out of the root zone of
any trees, shrubs
etc, which limits areas that it can be used in. But stone or
similar driveways are
exactly what they are made for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dean wrote:
Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

You can kill weeds with Roundup, then clean up the soil from where they
grow. Fill gaps with caulk for mortar (grey color). Beats fighting weeds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 13, 1:51 pm, Norminn wrote:
dean wrote:
Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

You can kill weeds with Roundup, then clean up the soil from where they
grow. Fill gaps with caulk for mortar (grey color). Beats fighting weeds.

It's a gravel driveway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On my neighbor wanted a gravel driveway. He had it dug out extra deep,
a thin layer of gravel, a layer of asphalt, then 6 inches of gravel.

Although he moved years ago his driveway still looks perfect, no weeds
or mud. No maintence either unlike asphalt sealing and lower taxes too

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Apr 13, 12:51 pm, " wrote:
On my neighbor wanted a gravel driveway. He had it dug out extra deep,
a thin layer of gravel, a layer of asphalt, then 6 inches of gravel.

Although he moved years ago his driveway still looks perfect, no weeds
or mud. No maintence either unlike asphalt sealing and lower taxes too

Evidently he didn't have any nutsedge (nut grass). That stuff will
push right thru several inches of asphalt. And roundup won't phase it
either. A nasty weed!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I live near a river that feeds into the Chesapeake bay. My kids swim
in this river, but unfortunately the water quality advisories are
becoming more frequent.

Anyway, I use a flat head shovel and a rake to clear weeds from my
gravel driveway. The white stones are dirty when you turn them over,
but they blend right back in after a good rain.

On 12 Apr 2007 23:47:25 -0700, "dean" wrote:

Is there a plant killer that will last for a whole year? Seems that
round up only lasts a month or two and then I have to do it all over
again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dean, Silver Turfer wrote:
Hi Dean, you have to apply a pre-emergence weedkiller. These are only
available to professional licensed operatives.
Its the sort of weed killer that is used on railway ballast.
http://www.trinitylawns.co.uk/gravel...-control-spray

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ma-209473-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 6:44:13 PM UTC-4, Silver Turfer wrote:
replying to dean, Silver Turfer wrote:
Hi Dean, you have to apply a pre-emergence weedkiller. These are only
available to professional licensed operatives.
Its the sort of weed killer that is used on railway ballast.
http://www.trinitylawns.co.uk/gravel...-control-spray

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ma-209473-.htm

Anyone can buy pre-emergent weed killer at HD, garden centers, online, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2018 6:44 PM, Silver Turfer wrote:
replying to dean, Silver Turfer wrote:
Hi Dean, you have to apply a pre-emergence weedkiller. These are only
available to professional licensed operatives. Its the sort of weed killer that is used on railway ballast.
http://www.trinitylawns.co.uk/gravel...-control-spray

Weeds out in the driveway I give a good soaking with gasoline...though I wouldn't use gas next to a building.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 17, 2018 at 5:44:13 PM UTC-5, Silver Turfer wrote:
replying to dean, Silver Turfer wrote:
Hi Dean, you have to apply a pre-emergence weedkiller. These are only
available to professional licensed operatives.
Its the sort of weed killer that is used on railway ballast.
http://www.trinitylawns.co.uk/gravel...-control-spray
--

You're too late with your reply. 10 years ago, dean was abducted by giant mutant gerbils from outer space. The Air Force was unable to catch the flying saucer and it's feared that dean was used as a sex slave by the alien gerbils before they ate him. It was a tragic loss for his friends and family. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster