Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Non-combustible Vegetation near a Water Tank?

The Fire Safe Standards say that I can have Non-combustible Vegetation near
a Water Tank... Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of
Non-combustible Vegetation I can plant infront of a 8'Hx12'dia Tank thats
smack in the middle of the front yard? We wanted hide it behind a hedge or
2.

Thank you,

Scott-

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
y.com...
The Fire Safe Standards say that I can have Non-combustible Vegetation near
a Water Tank... Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of
Non-combustible Vegetation I can plant infront of a 8'Hx12'dia Tank thats
smack in the middle of the front yard? We wanted hide it behind a hedge or
2.

Where you are might affect recommendations.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

kevin wrote:
Scott Townsend wrote:
The Fire Safe Standards say that I can have Non-combustible Vegetation near
a Water Tank... Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of
Non-combustible Vegetation I can plant infront of a 8'Hx12'dia Tank thats
smack in the middle of the front yard? We wanted hide it behind a hedge or
2.

I have no suggestions to offer. But can anyone explain why it must be
non-combustible near a _water_ tank? Gasoline, oil, or other fuel
tanks, sure. But water?

Or is this a water tank that is specifically meant to be used to put
out fires?

Ok, I see your other post. But still -- a water tank connected to
hydrants 20' and 250' away isn't going to be threatened by some burning
shrubbery, is it? Or maybe it is plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We are about 60 Miles North of San Francisco, Sonoma County.

Burying it would cause Access issues with the Connections to the tank. The
5000 gallon tank would be quite a hole in the ground too. (-;

They want a 20' setback from the combustible Vegetation, so unless the tree
is Tall and no low Branches, they don't want it near the tank. So my Maple
is either got to go, or I need to find another location.

PG&E made me take out one of our Oaks already. I want to save as many trees
as I can!

Thanks!

"Bob" wrote in message

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
y.com...
The Fire Safe Standards say that I can have Non-combustible Vegetation
near
a Water Tank... Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of
Non-combustible Vegetation I can plant infront of a 8'Hx12'dia Tank thats
smack in the middle of the front yard? We wanted hide it behind a hedge
or
2.

Where you are might affect recommendations.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Scott Townsend" wrote in message
y.com...
The Fire Safe Standards say that I can have Non-combustible Vegetation
near a Water Tank... Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of
Non-combustible Vegetation I can plant infront of a 8'Hx12'dia Tank thats
smack in the middle of the front yard? We wanted hide it behind a hedge or
2.

Thank you,

Scott-

Just about all living plants are combustible but many Fake plants are not.
Maybe you can get one from Hollywood. Even a well watered plant can combust
in a very hot fire. While a few burning shrubs may not harm the tank, it
will prevent access to anyone wanting to fill or draw water or access a
valve during a fire.

Does the rule also exclude combustible structures such as one made of wood.
An arbor might spruce up the look.

BTW, does anyone know the precise difference between a Combustible and a
Flammable substance?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:
The Fire Safe Standards say that I can have Non-combustible Vegetation near
a Water Tank... Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of
Non-combustible Vegetation I can plant infront of a 8'Hx12'dia Tank thats
smack in the middle of the front yard? We wanted hide it behind a hedge or
2.

Thank you,

Scott-

Think you need to get a definition of
"non-combustible vegetation" from the Fire
Standards. Don't have a clue what vegetation
would not burn.

That said, I would plant a fast growing vine that
will climb a trellis or wire fence. It would take
about 2 years to fully hide the tank and then you
would need to trim it once or twice each season.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:
The Fire Safe Standards say that I can have Non-combustible Vegetation near
a Water Tank... Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of
Non-combustible Vegetation I can plant infront of a 8'Hx12'dia Tank thats
smack in the middle of the front yard? We wanted hide it behind a hedge or
2.

In my mind, this means that you are only allowed to plant grass. It
would have to be mowed which makes it non-combustible. Better to bury
it if possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:
The Fire Safe Standards say that I can have Non-combustible Vegetation near
a Water Tank... Does anyone have recommendations on what kind of
Non-combustible Vegetation I can plant infront of a 8'Hx12'dia Tank thats
smack in the middle of the front yard? We wanted hide it behind a hedge or
2.

Thank you,

Scott-

how about some cactus (nopales), and succulents? You may want to check
with the fire marshal for recommendations.

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
Leak in hot water tank Johnny UK diy 9 April 9th 04 07:28 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM