Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to catch ants

Need to catch some ants to feed some Antlions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit? If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:50:51 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

Need to catch some ants to feed some Antlions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit? If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

My memory fails when I try to recite the poem that I heard a million
times in my youth.

Doodlebug, Doodlebug..... and the rest I forget.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

Big Al wrote:
Need to catch some ants to feed some Antlions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit? If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

On a sheet of paper placed near the nest place a small dab of peanut
butter and another one of jelly. If the ants are attracted to it after
a while pick up the paper and funnel the ants on the paper into a jar.
Or drive to local pet store and buy the small sized crickets.

Lar
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lar" wrote in message
Big Al wrote:
Need to catch some ants to feed some Antlions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit?

If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a

while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

On a sheet of paper placed near the nest place a small dab of peanut
butter and another one of jelly. If the ants are attracted to it after
a while pick up the paper and funnel the ants on the paper into a jar.
Or drive to local pet store and buy the small sized crickets.

Lar

Thanks for a real reply. I'll try it today. I tried cookie crumbs but the
birds eat it.

Al

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Big Al" wrote in message
Need to catch some ants to feed some Antlions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit?

If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a

while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

This reminds me of a story.

Seeing ants in his kitchen and deciding that he could just vacuum the little
pests away, he sucked them up, but while he was doing this he realized that
the once he had them all sucked up they were still going to be alive, so he
decided on the expedient method of gassing the little buggers. He opened
the gas valve on the stove and sucked some gas into the nozzle.

Boom.

The vacuum cleaner exploded when the gas hit motor.

The worst part was that the ants survived the explosion.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:50:51 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

Need to catch some ants to feed some Antlions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit? If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

wow this is one weird hobbie, but I have strange ones too. Ok I
noticed that when ants tackle sticky sweet foods, like taffy comes to
mind, they gather around it. It seems it takes them time to work on
it, creating a backup of ants trying to eat it. Then you can pick
them up and dump them into your ant lion pit. I would suggest you use
twessers since you don't want to disturb the bait, and I believe ant
lions eat one or two ants at a time. Just a guess based on what I
noticed on documentries.

tom @ www.Carpenter-Ant-Killer.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Take soda pop bottles. Glass ones. Bury at a 45 degree angle with just the
lip sticking up. Put cherry Kool Aid in there about a quarter full. Ants
go in to drink, but can't get out.

Dump bottle and repeat as often as needed.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

"DAC" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 9, 1:50 am, "Big Al" wrote:
Need to catch some ants to feed some
Antlions.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit?
If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a
while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

If fire ants will do, then it's easy.
1. Go out and find an ant hill (Not hard to do if you are in TX)
2. Disturb it a little with a stick - doesn't much. The ants rush to the
top.
3. pick them up with a small shovel even a hand trowel. Pour them, dirt and
all in a fruit jar - keep the lid on the jar.
4. Use a strainer (tea strainer comes to mind), pour an amount of dirt - ant
combination into the strainer. Shake quickly to remove the dirt. Then pour
the ants into a clean fruit jar (put the lid on).
5. Repeat steps as needed.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:50:51 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

Need to catch some ants to feed some Antlions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit? If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

Can't you build an Ant Farm? I mean raise and harvest them in a
colony?
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 07:16:25 -0500, deke wrote:

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 23:50:51 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

Need to catch some ants to feed some Antlions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit? If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

My memory fails when I try to recite the poem that I heard a million
times in my youth.

Doodlebug, Doodlebug..... and the rest I forget.

I was about to tell you until I forgot. As kid in South Florida; a
"doodlebug" lived in a sand mound, resembling an ant mound. It was
cool and shady places, like under a house.

Tickle the center hole in the mound with a twig and he would go deeper
and dig down a bit throwing the sand back out of the hole. The way to
catch him was to take a breath and blow the sand from the center hole
and expose the bug.

Looks very much like the larva in the link above.

Was it "I'll huff and puff and blow your house down" (close to the
piggy thing).
--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

Need to catch some ants to feed some Antlions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion

I apologize for answering earlier, and not completely reading the whole
post.

I'd put out some baits for the ants, and put them among the ant lion holes.
Ants seem to go crazy for chocolate squares, someone else might suggest
something better. Once they start going through there, the lions are going
to get some of them. I'd put the baits in the middle of the ant lion field.
Maybe use only one bait.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lar" wrote in message
Big Al wrote:
Need to catch some ants to feed some Antlions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit?

If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a

while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

On a sheet of paper placed near the nest place a small dab of peanut
butter and another one of jelly. If the ants are attracted to it after
a while pick up the paper and funnel the ants on the paper into a jar.
Or drive to local pet store and buy the small sized crickets.

Lar

Tried peanut butter, then jelly. Jelly drew the most. They are very small
ants. I'm moving the bait closer to the Antlions

Al

Ants, Lots of Ants Steve Home Repair 21 July 26th 06 04:13 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 5 February 25th 06 11:46 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 February 22nd 06 12:32 AM
Catch It Now Weatherlawyer UK diy 0 February 21st 06 11:37 PM
Interesting catch Doug Miller Woodturning 5 December 22nd 04 01:14 PM