Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default How to catch ants

"DAC" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 9, 1:50 am, "Big Al" wrote:
Need to catch some ants to feed some
Antlions.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antlion
Problem is how? The ants are about 50 feet away, but they are not
cooperating

Next problem. After I catch them how do I get them to drop into the pit?
If
I cool them down will they get slow? Like put them in a cooler for a
while.

Al Before you ask, I'm sane

If fire ants will do, then it's easy.
1. Go out and find an ant hill (Not hard to do if you are in TX)
2. Disturb it a little with a stick - doesn't much. The ants rush to the
top.
3. pick them up with a small shovel even a hand trowel. Pour them, dirt and
all in a fruit jar - keep the lid on the jar.
4. Use a strainer (tea strainer comes to mind), pour an amount of dirt - ant
combination into the strainer. Shake quickly to remove the dirt. Then pour
the ants into a clean fruit jar (put the lid on).
5. Repeat steps as needed.

Bob-tx