Posted to alt.home.repair

Default old ceiling light with two wires

Hi,
I'm trying to fix a ceiling light with a two light bulb socket and a
simple glass plate that screws on below the bulbs. Both bulbs [2x
tried new flourescent corkscrews] will flicker and fizzle when the
switch is turned on, and so I'm going to start by replacing the
sockets. I noticed that the new socket looks identical to the one on
the ceiling except that it has a ground wire. On the old one, I only
see a black and a gray wire coming down from the hole in the ceiling.
I think it was installed in the 60's. Some of the insulation on the
gray wire has cracked. Do I have to run the ground from the new socket
up into the ceiling and find an attachment?

thx,

itchy

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
I'm trying to fix a ceiling light with a two light bulb socket and a
simple glass plate that screws on below the bulbs. Both bulbs [2x
tried new flourescent corkscrews] will flicker and fizzle when the
switch is turned on, and so I'm going to start by replacing the
sockets. I noticed that the new socket looks identical to the one on
the ceiling except that it has a ground wire. On the old one, I only
see a black and a gray wire coming down from the hole in the ceiling.
I think it was installed in the 60's. Some of the insulation on the
gray wire has cracked. Do I have to run the ground from the new socket
up into the ceiling and find an attachment?

Those cheapass ceiling fixtures should be considered disposable. A complete
new fixture (that the old glass will probably fit on) costs maybe ten bucks
or so. Flicker could be worn-out socket, but could also be crappy connection
above in the box.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev Sev is offline

On Apr 7, 10:52�pm, wrote:
Hi,
I'm trying to fix a ceiling light with a two light bulb socket and a
simple glass plate that screws on below the bulbs. Both bulbs [2x
tried new flourescent corkscrews] will flicker and fizzle when the
switch is turned on, and so I'm going to start by replacing the
sockets. I noticed that the new socket looks identical to the one on
the ceiling except that it has a ground wire. * On the old one, I only
see a black and a gray wire coming down from the hole in the ceiling.
I think it was installed in the 60's. *Some of the insulation on the
gray wire has cracked. Do I have to run the ground from the new socket
up into the ceiling and find an attachment?

thx,

itchy

If you're not going to replace the whole fixture, you'd better rewire
it. That cracked insulation is not good, and could be the source of
the problem. The ground wire should be attached to the metal box
behind the fixture- asuming _it_ is grounded. You can check-
carefully- by touching the leads of a test light from hot(probably
black) to the box- it should light. This is with the power on. Turn
it on for this test only- all other work with power off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 7 Apr 2007 19:52:45 -0700, wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to fix a ceiling light with a two light bulb socket and a
simple glass plate that screws on below the bulbs. Both bulbs [2x
tried new flourescent corkscrews] will flicker and fizzle when the
switch is turned on,

The others gave good advice, but I still want to add for the sake of
this and other repairs: There could imo be a problem with both bulbs,
especially if they are from the same lot. I would test it with an
incandescant bulb. They are simpler and won't flicker, except in very
very rare cases where the filament breaks but still makes contact with
the other support.

and so I'm going to start by replacing the
sockets.

Did both bulbs start flickering at the same time, or one first and the
other at a later time? If the same time, it's probably something they
share in common like the switch.

Which is more likely, that both sockets are bad or that the one switch
is bad?

I noticed that the new socket looks identical to the one on
the ceiling except that it has a ground wire. On the old one, I only
see a black and a gray wire coming down from the hole in the ceiling.
I think it was installed in the 60's. Some of the insulation on the
gray wire has cracked.

Cracked insulation on a wire is bad, but it won't make a light bulb
flicker. Is there other damage to the sockets, like browning because
too big a bulb was used and it caused overheating?

Do I have to run the ground from the new socket
up into the ceiling and find an attachment?

thx,

itchy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 7, 11:55 pm, mm wrote:
On 7 Apr 2007 19:52:45 -0700, wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to fix a ceiling light with a two light bulb socket and a
simple glass plate that screws on below the bulbs. Both bulbs [2x
tried new flourescent corkscrews] will flicker and fizzle when the
switch is turned on,

The others gave good advice, but I still want to add for the sake of
this and other repairs: There could imo be a problem with both bulbs,
especially if they are from the same lot. I would test it with an
incandescant bulb.

Ok, I'll try indandescant bulbs. Both sockets cause flickering, so it
might be the wall switch. Concerning the other person who answered,
I have one of those electric field detectors, but not a test light.
Probably HDepot will have one.

thx!

itchy

Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Wires chafed through in ceiling rose. Rednadnerb UK diy 4 November 28th 05 08:05 PM
Wires chafed through in ceiling rose. [email protected] UK diy 1 November 27th 05 11:40 PM
Wires chafed through in ceiling rose. [email protected] UK diy 1 November 27th 05 09:36 PM
fFixing a light and need some help with where the wires go... [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 November 20th 05 10:49 PM