Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Underground Sprinkler System

This newsgroup has helped me before, with good results, so I am back.

Today I turned on my sprinkler system, with five zones.

The problem I am having is that zones four and five both ran at the same
time. To top it all off, I could not get the water to turn off. I
unplugged the electrical cord from the outlet, removed the battery in
the sprinkler control box, and the water still ran.
The only way I could get the water turned off was to crawl back
underneath the house, and turn the sprinkler system
faucet off. This is the main faucet I turn off every fall when the
sprinkler system gets blown out.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kate wrote:

This newsgroup has helped me before, with good results, so I am back.

Today I turned on my sprinkler system, with five zones.

The problem I am having is that zones four and five both ran at the same
time. To top it all off, I could not get the water to turn off. I
unplugged the electrical cord from the outlet, removed the battery in
the sprinkler control box, and the water still ran.
The only way I could get the water turned off was to crawl back
underneath the house, and turn the sprinkler system
faucet off. This is the main faucet I turn off every fall when the
sprinkler system gets blown out.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks.

Kate

Hi,
Start checking control power going to the bad zones and see of the
solenoid valve is stuck. Little two zones acting same way at once.
Long shot but it could be controller problem too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 19:19:50 -0700, Kate wrote:

This newsgroup has helped me before, with good results, so I am back.

Today I turned on my sprinkler system, with five zones.

The problem I am having is that zones four and five both ran at the same

Was it your system last year too? Maybe the previous owner, or your
yard guy, or you and you forgot, connected the two zones to one
controller zone. Maybe there was some problem with the other
controller zone. Check the wires.

time. To top it all off, I could not get the water to turn off. I
unplugged the electrical cord from the outlet, removed the battery in
the sprinkler control box, and the water still ran.

Valve doesn't shut. Stone stuck in the valve?

Turning off the electricity doesn't close the valve, a spring or
gravity does that. The electricity tries to open it, and turning off
the electricity makes it stop trying, but that doesn't guarantee it
will shut.

The only way I could get the water turned off was to crawl back
underneath the house, and turn the sprinkler system
faucet off. This is the main faucet I turn off every fall when the
sprinkler system gets blown out.

Can anyone help me?

I ended up putting old pieces of T1-11 where I had to crawl around, so
I didn't get so dirty.

Many thanks.

Kate

Posted to alt.home.repair

You say that "zones 4 and 5 ran at the same time. "

Most likely , your zone 4 valve is stuck, for whatever reason. When
your controller sent electricity to zone 5 it ran fine, but zone 4 was
still running because even after that valve power was cut off, the valve
itself is stuck and that is why you had to shut the water off.

Some folks can fix bad valves. Some valves have a replaceable diaphram,
some don't.

good luck !!

James