MattMika

Default sprinkler system

I fix one thing another breaks. Just got my
back flow assembly replaced last week. Yesterday morning I noticed the
sound of water flowing through pipes in my back yard. It was my
irrigation system. One of the selenoid valves is not closing properly.
I know nothing about these valves assemblies. Could it be only the
selenoid or is it likely the whole assembly? Is current supplied when
the valve is open or closed?

Thanks,

Matt
Dave Solly

MattMika wrote in
:

I fix one thing another breaks. Just got my
back flow assembly replaced last week. Yesterday morning I noticed the
sound of water flowing through pipes in my back yard. It was my
irrigation system. One of the selenoid valves is not closing properly.
I know nothing about these valves assemblies. Could it be only the
selenoid or is it likely the whole assembly? Is current supplied when
the valve is open or closed?

Thanks,

Matt

Two possibilities, one is that dirt got in the valve from your other
repair, not allowing the valve to fully close. Try cycling that station a
couple of times, or better yet, take a head off that station and purge
the line. If that doesn't work, then the spring in the valve is probably
weak. I had the same problem and had to replace the valve. A lot of
digging and hard work. They do sell the internals for valves, but mine is
20 years old, and they didn't sell them any more.

Good luck.

Edwin Pawlowski

"MattMika" wrote in message
I fix one thing another breaks. Just got my
back flow assembly replaced last week. Yesterday morning I noticed the
sound of water flowing through pipes in my back yard. It was my
irrigation system. One of the selenoid valves is not closing properly.
I know nothing about these valves assemblies. Could it be only the
selenoid or is it likely the whole assembly? Is current supplied when
the valve is open or closed?

A solenoid is essentially an magnet that opens and closes a valve. Valves
can be normally open or normally closed. The magnet pulls on an actuator to
do either of the operations. For a sprinkler, you'd want normally closed
valves.

If the spring inside is broken, it would not close when the magnet stops
pulling. If the actuator is jammed, it may not close when the magnet stops
pulling. I don't know your particular valves, but I'd check to see if it
has broken spring , shaft, or whatever is inside first. It may be easily
repaired.

Andy Hill

MattMika wrote:
I fix one thing another breaks. Just got my
back flow assembly replaced last week. Yesterday morning I noticed the
sound of water flowing through pipes in my back yard. It was my
irrigation system. One of the selenoid valves is not closing properly.
I know nothing about these valves assemblies. Could it be only the
selenoid or is it likely the whole assembly? Is current supplied when
the valve is open or closed?

Normally solenoid valves "fail closed" if it's the solenoid itself. I suspect
either the controller has failed (permanently sending power to that particular
zone) or the solenoid valve assembly has gone belly up. Quick check with the
voltmeter will tell the tale...
Pounds on Wood

"Andy Hill" wrote in message
MattMika wrote:
I fix one thing another breaks. Just got my
back flow assembly replaced last week. Yesterday morning I noticed the
sound of water flowing through pipes in my back yard. It was my
irrigation system. One of the selenoid valves is not closing properly.
I know nothing about these valves assemblies. Could it be only the
selenoid or is it likely the whole assembly? Is current supplied when
the valve is open or closed?

Check your water system pressure. If it is over 60 psi you need a
regulator. I had problems with solenoids not closing until I reduced my
pressure from 80 to 50 psi.
--
********
Bill Pounds

BobK207

Matt-

What brand of valve do you have?

I've been using Champion manual valves & solenoid vavles for ~30+
years.

The brass valve bodies last a very long time, the electrically operated
"valve actuators" can be replaced or rebuilt (your choice) & the
solenoids can also be replaced seperately.

I've had to replace tacutators only once in 30 years (after about 20 to
25 years in service some still going).

I've got a couple actuators & rebuild kits sitting on my workbench, I
might rebuild them if I get bored but at ~$30 for new ones every 20
years or so I've got some time.

Their website is down but was very useful when I visited when it was
working

http://www.championirrigation.com

I suggest using the brass units(either the compact one or the full
sized ones) & statying away from the plastic ones.

Typically my solenoid actuated vavles fail closed & when they leak it's
a dirt or rubber component problem

cheers
Bob