Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Help choosing a paint gun (Sprayer)

I need to paint some installed kitchen cabinets. I have made it 56 years
with nothing more than an air brush but now I need some suggestions for
buying something a little bigger than an air brush. Since I may only use
this once or twice I don't want to spend a lot of $. If I were using it more
I would buy better.

I might break down and use it again to do my deck railings which are a major
PITA to stain. Probably will use an oil based product any time I use the
sprayer. I have a decent quality pancake compressor unit. Pretty sure I can
do 6 cfm at 40-50 and at least 3+ at 90-110 cfm. I will verify that before
I buy. Those specs exclude the bigger models.

Harbor Fright has several on sale this month. I just don't have a clue as
to what might be the best choice. I trust you guys a lot more than I trust
the average BORG employee. Stopping to refill the chamber is not a big deal.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...324&pricetype=

I am not seeing exactly the same items on the page linked above as I saw in
the local sale circular but the above is the best I can show you. For such a
small job I am wondering if the touch up sprayer
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...?itemnumber=86

or the detail

would be enough to do the job.

I really appreciate any input you can provide.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 2:41 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
[...]

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...goryID=324&pri...

That is a HVLP gun. It does not use a compressor but a turbine which
I doubt you have. It is misleading for HF to sell the gun without
mentioning this fact. There is a conversion HVLP available.

I am not seeing exactly the same items on the page linked above as I saw in
the local sale circular but the above is the best I can show you. For such a
small job I am wondering if the touch up sprayerhttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=86

or the detailhttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92126

This type of gun is called a cup gun and is designed for use with a
compressor. It sounds like your unit will run it. That type of gun
can be used but you usually need a in-line filter to remove moisture
from the line.

Cabinets are hard to paint with a any spray gun even if you are
experienced. Those inside corners are murder! It is very easy to
apply way too much paint in the corners and you may have to use a
brush to drag paint out of the corners.

I suggest you just paint them with a brush to begin with since you
don't really expect to use the sprayer again. If you are determined
to use a sprayer just be sure to have a sash brush on hand!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lawrence" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Thanks for the heads up on the HVLP.

I am not as concerned with the interiors as I am with the exterior portions.
Brush strokes inside is okay. I just hate the look of brush/roller painted
cabinets on the exterior.

I prefer to never paint them, but the last set of tenants left me no choice.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been using this one pretty successfully:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 4, 6:55 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Lawrence" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Colbyt- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like you are planning to paint the cabinets in place. Be
aware that oversrpay is a real concern so you will need to mask the
walls and counters as well as provide for some ventilation. You might
consider renting a unit rather than buying. You can probably rent
somthing better for less money than what you are looking at. Spraying
a finish takes some practice even when you have a booth. The mistake
most beginners make is applying too much paint. So use short burts
and keep the gun moving at all times. Better to have several thin
coats than one thick one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Painting a kitchen years ago with oil and roller a pocket door needed
re coating. Rolled on a good coat then took the 4" brush and leveled
the bumpy texture. NO over spray and spray like SMOOTH finish.

On 5 Apr 2007 10:57:31 -0700, "Lawrence"
wrote:

I am not as concerned with the interiors as I am with the exterior portions.
Brush strokes inside is okay. I just hate the look of brush/roller painted
cabinets on the exterior.

Choosing a Sealant Applicator Gun Rod UK diy 10 March 5th 07 09:34 PM
Paint sprayer & latex paint Adam Preble Home Repair 3 May 27th 06 01:57 PM
Paint Sprayer Setup [email protected] Home Repair 3 February 11th 06 03:02 PM
Paint sprayer Jim Mac Home Repair 2 June 4th 05 01:33 PM
Best conversion gun, compressor usage with HVLP sprayer Ollie Woodworking 8 October 26th 04 02:09 PM