Posted to alt.home.repair
Lawrence Lawrence is offline

Default Help choosing a paint gun (Sprayer)

On Apr 4, 6:55 pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Lawrence" wrote in message

ups.com...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...goryID=324&pri...

That is a HVLP gun. It does not use a compressor but a turbine which
I doubt you have. It is misleading for HF to sell the gun without
mentioning this fact. There is a conversion HVLP available.

I am not seeing exactly the same items on the page linked above as I saw
in
the local sale circular but the above is the best I can show you. For
such a
small job I am wondering if the touch up
sprayerhttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=86

or the
detailhttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92126

This type of gun is called a cup gun and is designed for use with a
compressor. It sounds like your unit will run it. That type of gun
can be used but you usually need a in-line filter to remove moisture
from the line.

Cabinets are hard to paint with a any spray gun even if you are
experienced. Those inside corners are murder! It is very easy to
apply way too much paint in the corners and you may have to use a
brush to drag paint out of the corners.

I suggest you just paint them with a brush to begin with since you
don't really expect to use the sprayer again. If you are determined
to use a sprayer just be sure to have a sash brush on hand!

Thanks for the heads up on the HVLP.

I am not as concerned with the interiors as I am with the exterior portions.
Brush strokes inside is okay. I just hate the look of brush/roller painted
cabinets on the exterior.

I prefer to never paint them, but the last set of tenants left me no choice.

Colbyt- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like you are planning to paint the cabinets in place. Be
aware that oversrpay is a real concern so you will need to mask the
walls and counters as well as provide for some ventilation. You might
consider renting a unit rather than buying. You can probably rent
somthing better for less money than what you are looking at. Spraying
a finish takes some practice even when you have a booth. The mistake
most beginners make is applying too much paint. So use short burts
and keep the gun moving at all times. Better to have several thin
coats than one thick one.