Ollie

Default Best conversion gun, compressor usage with HVLP sprayer

I was leaning towards 4-stage turbine systems, such as Fuji Q4, but could
not convince me for the high price. The second alternative is Campbell
Hausfeld compressor with 60-Gallon vertical tank, 7 HP motor. The fixed
structure is acceptable in my furniture shop.

The question is, what is the "best" conversion gun for this compressor? In
addition of giving good finish, it should be ergonomic to use and easy to
clean.

A side question is, where the compressor should go? In the finishing room
with the spray gun, in the main workshop area for easy access, or outside to
reduce the noise?

+++ Ollie

mp

The question is, what is the "best" conversion gun for this compressor?
In addition of giving good finish, it should be ergonomic to use and easy
to clean.

It's hard to say what is best. A lot depends on the types of finishes you
want to spray and the size of the items you'll be spraying, as well as the
amount of spraying you'll be doing (with choices between gravity feed,
pressure feed, and siphon feed types). I'd suggest having a look at
www.homesteadfinishing.com for some good info and call them or email if you
have specific questions.

A side question is, where the compressor should go? In the finishing room
with the spray gun, in the main workshop area for easy access, or outside
to reduce the noise?

You'll want the compressor outside of the spray room and indoors. You could
get air lines piped in and will need appropriate filtration and moisture
traps.

JGS

Hi Ollie,
Frankly I would question whither a 7 HP compressor, lines , filters and a good
gun are going to be cheaper than the Fuji. However, if you go this route and are
in the US I suggest you look at the guns at this site. JG

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/

I would put the compressor or turbine in a clean adjacent room.

Ollie wrote:

I was leaning towards 4-stage turbine systems, such as Fuji Q4, but could
not convince me for the high price. The second alternative is Campbell
Hausfeld compressor with 60-Gallon vertical tank, 7 HP motor. The fixed
structure is acceptable in my furniture shop.

The question is, what is the "best" conversion gun for this compressor? In
addition of giving good finish, it should be ergonomic to use and easy to
clean.

A side question is, where the compressor should go? In the finishing room
with the spray gun, in the main workshop area for easy access, or outside to
reduce the noise?

+++ Ollie

Eric Ryder

"Ollie" wrote in message
I was leaning towards 4-stage turbine systems, such as Fuji Q4, but could
not convince me for the high price. The second alternative is Campbell
Hausfeld compressor with 60-Gallon vertical tank, 7 HP motor. The fixed
structure is acceptable in my furniture shop.

The question is, what is the "best" conversion gun for this compressor?
In addition of giving good finish, it should be ergonomic to use and easy
to clean.

A side question is, where the compressor should go? In the finishing room
with the spray gun, in the main workshop area for easy access, or outside
to reduce the noise?

+++ Ollie

I've got an Accuspray 10 gun (turbine) that's great for fairly thin finishes
with a two stage. That said, my pal up north has the same gun in the
compressor (conversion) model. He produces excellent finishes with one and
two part automotive finishes (Ford tractor restos). He runs his off a 1-1/2
HP wheelbarrow Emglo and is happy with the cycle times.

Robert Galloway

I have a DeVillbis "Finish Line" conversion gun. I run it off an honest
3hp compressor. This is not max hp or "developed" hp but a motor that
draws about 18 amps at full load at 230 volts. It keeps up with the gun
with no problem.

bob g.

mp wrote:

[...]

Ollie

Thx folks. Now, I know where the compressor should go. The remaining and new
questions a

1. What kind of filters, regulators, valves, and plugs are required in the
air pressure line from the comressor?
2. At Homestad Finishing they had several conversion guns. Which one of the
Accuspray models has the best technolgy and which ones are old and obsolete
models?
3. What is the right needle size for oil based polyurethane?
4. Which of the DeVillbiss Finish Line guns (or Prime Time or GTi) models
has the best technology and which models should be avoided?
5. Comments on the Porter Cable PSH1?
6. Why the Wagner guns have so bad reputation?
7. Comments on Apollo guns?
8. Is pressure feed (or pressure-assist) required for good woodworking
applications?

+++ Ollie

"Eric Ryder" wrote in message
I've got an Accuspray 10 gun (turbine) that's great for fairly thin
finishes with a two stage. That said, my pal up north has the same gun in
the compressor (conversion) model. He produces excellent finishes with
one and two part automotive finishes (Ford tractor restos). He runs his
off a 1-1/2 HP wheelbarrow Emglo and is happy with the cycle times.

mp

1. What kind of filters, regulators, valves, and plugs are required in the
air pressure line from the comressor?

This can be quite involved or quite simple. You can use iron pipe and plumb
in traps and drain valves, or just run a hose from the compressor to your
gun. Basically, you should have a particulate & coalescing (removes oil)
filter not too far from the compressor. You'll want a moisture trap farther
on down the line (works better once the air has cooled a bit, and perhaps a
small button unit that attaches directly to the gun, or close to it.

3. What is the right needle size for oil based polyurethane?

It depends on the gun and the brand of finish you're using. The viscosity of
the finish can be measured with a viscosity cup. The viscosity cups have
handles and a of hole of a certain size at the bottom. You dip the cup in
the finish, and count how long it takes to drain from the cup. A gun/needle
combination would have a recommended range of finish viscosity, for example
20-25 seconds through a Ford # 4 cup. You would thin the finish, if needed,
to achieve the recommended timing range.

8. Is pressure feed (or pressure-assist) required for good woodworking
applications?

Pressure feed guns can spray a wider range of finish viscosities. You can
get gravity and siphon feed pressure attachments, but most of the time what
is being referred to is a remote pressure pot of a gallon or more that
supplies finish to the gun under pressure. There are several advantages;
there is no attached cup therefore the gun is small and compact, you can
spray in any direction, even upside down, and you don't have to refill every
few minutes. Pressure feed is great when you have a lot of spraying to do
and will be using the same finish over an extended period of time. The
disadvantages, other than the extra cost, is that cleaning up and changing
finishes is more time consuming. I have gravity feed guns and find them the
most practical for my needs.

Eric Ryder

"Ollie" wrote in message
Thx folks. Now, I know where the compressor should go. The remaining and
new questions a

1. What kind of filters, regulators, valves, and plugs are required in the
air pressure line from the comressor?
2. At Homestad Finishing they had several conversion guns. Which one of
the Accuspray models has the best technolgy and which ones are old and
obsolete models?
3. What is the right needle size for oil based polyurethane?
4. Which of the DeVillbiss Finish Line guns (or Prime Time or GTi) models
has the best technology and which models should be avoided?
5. Comments on the Porter Cable PSH1?
6. Why the Wagner guns have so bad reputation?
7. Comments on Apollo guns?
8. Is pressure feed (or pressure-assist) required for good woodworking
applications?

3. I'll be surprised if you can shoot poly right out of the can.

8. A pressure pot or pressurized cup will save air for atomizing the
finish, not moving product to the aircap as siphon guns do. The remote pots
and fluid hoses are a hassle to clean (hell, the guns are a hassle to clean
period).

Wagner HVLP conversion gun jw Woodworking 3 February 27th 04 03:04 AM
Has anyone seen this HVLP sprayer fromHF that hooks to your shopvac? Greg Woodworking 2 February 24th 04 01:23 PM
HVLP Sprayer?? Ron A Woodworking 1 December 31st 03 09:02 AM
please help with HVLP sprayer question Duke Woodworking 3 December 27th 03 04:37 PM
Best HVLP "Conversion" Gun? Dave Woodworking 6 August 5th 03 04:45 PM