Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Getting rid of the water heater.

"Stormin Mormon"

wrote 2 years ago

That is why there are junk guys. I hired a company to get rid of my
old chicken coop, and the routine was "anything that 2 guys can carry,
and you pay by the qtr truckload". In my case it was a half truck
load worth.

Just a story.

When I started yesterday looking to get rid of MY water heater, I
thought I could call bulk collection.

20 years ago it was on a monthly schedule and free.

10 years ago I had to call a private party who worked with the county,
make an appointment and send a check in advance for 10 or at most 20
dollars.

Now the county does nothing except refer me to the wrongly-stated
category in the yellow pages. The yellow pages has 4 columns plus
display ads over 4 pages. Most were dumpster companies!

I found one whose truck I had seen around here 3 or 4 times in the
last 2 years, 1-800-Got-Junk.

Something like the one you mention, Chris, they have a minimum 1/8
truckload, of 10x8x5=400/8 = 50 cu. feet, but the water heater is
5'feet high by 2 feet in diameter, at most 20 cu.feet.

They charge 167 for an 1/8th of a truck, and 119 for anything less
than that.

That's a lot compared to 10 dollars.

But the guy on the phone was very nice.

So I'm going to wait until the next Pennysaver comes and see what they
have there.

Some people have posted that the WH can be cut with a reciprocating
saw. If so, I figure 3 pieces, plus scooping out the bottom, to get
it out of the basement fairly easily.

So maybe I should cut it into ten pieces and throw it away with the
regular garbage??

I can cut it up on a tarp or in a big box, like the box the new one
comes in, maybe, and pour all the broken glass into a garbage can.

Then I'll find out how good my Harbor Freight recip saw is. I've only
used it for 3 minutes and so far, so good.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 16:28:20 -0400, mm
wrote:

I found one whose truck I had seen around here 3 or 4 times in the
last 2 years, 1-800-Got-Junk.

Something like the one you mention, Chris, they have a minimum 1/8
truckload, of 10x8x5=400/8 = 50 cu. feet, but the water heater is
5'feet high by 2 feet in diameter, at most 20 cu.feet.

They charge 167 for an 1/8th of a truck, and 119 for anything less
than that.

I forgot to say that for this money, they send two guys and will go
down to the basement to get it.

And if I had more stuff, it might well be worth 119. Of course I have
a small house and lot, and can't wait until all that stuff piles up,
esp. since the county takes most of it away for free.

That's a lot compared to 10 dollars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What you need to do is find a scrap metal dealer.
If you deliver it, they ought to take it for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

Some people have posted that the WH can be cut with a reciprocating
saw. If so, I figure 3 pieces, plus scooping out the bottom, to get
it out of the basement fairly easily.

So maybe I should cut it into ten pieces and throw it away with the
regular garbage??

I can cut it up on a tarp or in a big box, like the box the new one
comes in, maybe, and pour all the broken glass into a garbage can.

Then I'll find out how good my Harbor Freight recip saw is. I've only
used it for 3 minutes and so far, so good.

This is a good idea, but you will save yourself a bunch of time if you use a
skill saw with a metal cutting blade.

The outside of the tank is tin, and when you peel that off you will find
fiberglass insulation. The burner and the control are screwed or bolted on,
and then all you are left with is the inner tank.

Another thing to check is scrap metal places. They might take it for free
if you deliver.

If you do decide to cut it apart, please post an update I would like to hear
a description of the anode if your water heater was retired due to leaking.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 3, 5:28�pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"mm" wrote in message

[...]

Scrap yard or call some close by garbage companies one near me charges
25 bucks a van load, at their dump site

Cutting the tank up will be a PIA trust me I did it ONCE

Old tanks I have looked in inevitabl;y have remants oif the anode in
the bottom of the tank. The first time I saw one I fished it out of
the thermostat access hole just to see what it was. I must of been 17
or 18 at that time/ Now I am 50

Posted to alt.home.repair

Be nice to your trash truck drivers. I believe I could get mine to
knowingly take a corpse. I'm not kidding. They have taken cabinets, big
pieces of sheetrock, two water heaters, big stuff.

How am I nice to them? I take them cold bottled water or a Coke on a hot
day. My daughter's a PO, and she gets tablets of free BIG GULP coupons. I
give them a couple of them. I go out there when they come and help them
when there's a big load of stuff I want NOT to make a trip to the dump with.
Last Christmas, the driver was one of the regular guys, and I gave him a
twenty. The helper was new, and I figured fair was fair. Many times
through the year, they took stuff I thought I'd have to drive to the
transfer station.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 3 Apr 2007 14:36:27 -0700, "
wrote:

Old tanks I have looked in inevitabl;y have remants oif the anode in
the bottom of the tank. The first time I saw one I fished it out of
the thermostat access hole just to see what it was. I must of been 17
or 18 at that time/ Now I am 50

I'm 60, but I think I missed a lot of things in my youth.

I want to relive the day when you were 17!

I'm not really kidding. There's no chance I can date a cheerleader,
and this may be the best I can do.

I'll try to get back to you all with follow-up, but I can be very slow
at getting things done. I have two different friends who are out of
town. I evern have the keys to one, maybe both of their homes, so I
think I'll stop doing sponge baths and wash there, subject to their
approval.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Just a thought, but do yo have any land around your place where you
could just dig a hole and bury the thing?

They aren't all that hard for a couple of guys to carry once they are
drained.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 15:08:36 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Be nice to your trash truck drivers. I believe I could get mine to
knowingly take a corpse. I'm not kidding. They have taken cabinets, big
pieces of sheetrock, two water heaters, big stuff.

How am I nice to them? I take them cold bottled water or a Coke on a hot
day. My daughter's a PO,

You're daughter's a post office, and you offerred your daughter to the
trash men!! That might be going too far, but if not, I don't have a
daughter to offer anyhow.

and she gets tablets of free BIG GULP coupons. I
give them a couple of them. I go out there when they come and help them
when there's a big load of stuff I want NOT to make a trip to the dump with.
Last Christmas, the driver was one of the regular guys, and I gave him a
twenty. The helper was new, and I figured fair was fair. Many times
through the year, they took stuff I thought I'd have to drive to the
transfer station.

I'll keep all this in mind. They took a 4 drawer file cabinet this
past year. I don't know if that was beyond the rules or not. I took
the drawers out to make it lighter.

I am slightly nice to them, in that I smile and say hello when I see
them, although I don't usually know when they are coming. If I am
bringing something late, I carry it right up to one of them, so he can
throw it in, instead of putting it on the curb. I don't feel close
enough to them yet to throw it in myself.

I started putting the trash cans not on the sidewalk behind the parked
cars, but on the cement section of the corner island, which is as
close to them as you can get without putting the stuff in the street,
and now everyone near me puts it there. And the driver doesn't have
to back up to get close to the trash. That's why I put it there.

None of this is much, but it's all I can do except Christmas gifts.

And a couple months ago I started thinking about giving them Christmas
gifts. This is the first year I managed to give the mailman his
Christmas gift when it was still Christmas season, 3 or 4 days in
advance even. Up until now I had been running two to eight months
late. Although sometimes I don't think he earns it, since in the
years he has had this route, whenever I get a certified letter, he
never has it with him. I guess he expects me to be at work when he
comes, and even if I'm working at home that day, he hasn't brought the
letter. Strangely enough 2 weeks ago was the first time I got one,
adn that was after a fiasco a month or so before then when I went to
the post office, couldn't find the slip, because it was in the console
of my car and I didn't look there, and never got the letter. Even
after I talked to him about it, all he brought was another slip.

But none of this is the trashmen's fault, and I should start tipping
them on general principles, and not because I need them to do
something special.

After a post earlier today, I suddenly remembered that I have a tiny
trailer in Dallas, that I am supposed to assemble and bring back to
Baltimore with some of my childhood furniture on it. Was supposed to
leave this Thursday, but will be a couple weeks late. When I get back
I'll have the trailer with me.

I still may cut the WH into pieces to get it upstairs, but just this
evening, I bumped into a friend of mine who reminded me that I had
taken his water heater out of his basement! I barely remember this.
He said it wasn't heavy, but he's still ready to help me. I might
well have asked him even if I hadn't done the same thing for him.
We're friends. It doesn't have to be tit for tat.

So if I get it out, I can use my tiny trailer to take it somewhere.

He also has a stove he wants out of his basement, which he says is
heavy, but that I'm 99% sure we can disassemble.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:34:26 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Just a thought, but do yo have any land around your place where you
could just dig a hole and bury the thing?

No.

They aren't all that hard for a couple of guys to carry once they are
drained.

That's what my friend said, and I may have the wrong impression
becasue last time my helper was a 5 foot, 150 pound woman, and the
extra weight wasn't muscle.

My guy friend is probably a heck of a lot stronger.

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

becasue last time my helper was a 5 foot, 150 pound woman, and the
extra weight wasn't muscle.

Sounds like my kinda Gal

Was the extra weight in a PAIR

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:

What you need to do is find a scrap metal dealer.
If you deliver it, they ought to take it for free.

In my neighborhood, in spite of "heavy trash day," the urban faries pick up
difficult things during the night before the official pick up service. They
are either using the stuff to build a spaceship or selling it for scrap.

Over the past several months, the faries have picked up a water heater, a
refrigerator, a gas range, several filing cabinets, a metal desk, and
assorted other things. The heavy-trash people are left with tree limbs and
similar.

As for refrigerators, my city requires a permit to be attached to the fridge
attesting that the refrigerant has been removed in an approve manner by a
qualified technician. The faries don't care.

Ain't private enterprise and initiative grand?

Posted to alt.home.repair

So maybe I should cut it into ten pieces and throw it away with the
regular garbage??

I can cut it up on a tarp or in a big box, like the box the new one
comes in, maybe, and pour all the broken glass into a garbage can.

Either that or cut it into enough pieces to fit in your car and drop
off at nearest dump or apartment complex dumpster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 07:27:56 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

In my neighborhood, in spite of "heavy trash day," the urban faries pick up
difficult things during the night before the official pick up service. They
are either using the stuff to build a spaceship or selling it for scrap.

In my last community, the "idiots in charge" passed an ordinance
saying they would no longer accept appliances at the landfill.
"Problem Solved"

Shortly after, the rural roadside was littered with dumped
refrigerators, washers, water heaters, etc.

I wonder what it cost them to clean it up ??

rj